Carbs on Fiat engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Carbs on Fiat engine

That's a good point I've seen elsewhere that bike carbs are more efficient and might be easier to fit... I think a member fitted them on a Pinto in a Berli a while back.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

if you have a look on ebay the inlet manifolds for the 130 tc strada are still made in italy by a company called autoriccambi. these have a very short stack height and were designed to fit sidedrafts to the strada which had very little bulkhead clearance they are the shortest you can get and work great. there is also a pair of original carbs and manifold for the same. pricey but they work very well and the sound is well worth it. There are loads of tweeks you can do with the fiat motor without spending guy croft prices and get really good power.

Comment

Originally posted by Lanciajohn View Post
        There are loads of tweeks you can do with the fiat motor without spending guy croft prices and get really good power.
        That's the kind of sentence I like to read However I just hunted high & low for '130 tc strada inlet manifolds' & drew a blank - if you found them could you maybe offer a link or item number? Would these fit the 2.0 twin cam?

Comment

Tony
          The Strada inlet manifold won't work on your engine as you have a block mounted dizzy. You need the swept back type like the one Hugh has. The Fiat twin cam had three different positions for the dizzy. The block mounted like yours, then out the back of the inlet camshaft (130 TC Strada) and then on the top/side of the exhaust cam box.
          If you are happy with the carb on your car then I would leave it as is. All the other options will cost you loads of money and at best you could achieve an extra 5-10 bhp at the flywheel.
          Change the itg filter for a K&N and and get a cold air feed to it. I used to have a bit to do with ITG when I was selling 3D CAD systems and the side foam is a higher density than the tops. They have trouble with turbulent air flow when the foam is all the same density as the carb sucks the air in from all directions. The fix was to have the top foam made of lower density to make it the preferred route for the air to take to try and stabilize the airflow.
          Would this http://r.ebay.com/nwmH20 work on your carb.
          By the way. If you did fancy the DGV upgrade then it comes in 3 versions. DGV - Manual choke. DGAV - Water choke like yours http://r.ebay.com/szrPx0. DGEV - Electric choke.
          Jon
          Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
          - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Originally posted by jon_cox View Post
            Would this http://r.ebay.com/nwmH20 work on your carb.
            By the way. If you did fancy the DGV upgrade then it comes in 3 versions. DGV - Manual choke. DGAV - Water choke like yours http://r.ebay.com/szrPx0. DGEV - Electric choke.
            Jon
            Thanks Jon, that plenum won't fit the 34 ADF - I asked the seller and he said so. I have hunted high and low looking for another one which would but nothing to result. I was going to modify the current itg to become effectively a plenum chamber with a cold air feed probably tricky but not impossible. Then the suggestion of the 32/36 looks to be a good move (DGEV for preference) - and there are K&N filters that could fit it with room - or incorporate a cold air feed which would be best. I'll still put my hat into the ring on that ebay side manifold though - in the closing moment

Comment

The inlet manifold on ebay is mine Even if I don't immediately use it, it was just too good to let it pass by!

Comment

Guys, Good thread. I presume all are using a Fiat gearbox and Marina back end. What is the requirements for the pro-shaft and fittings? I've a roadster with a standard A Series at the mo. I had a low mileage twin cam from an 80's Mirafiori which had structural corrosion on its 2nd Mot. Engine removed and stored for 30 years. I was looking forward to a fine project then a divorce caused its loss. Bugger!

Anyway, I'm searching again as I reckoned it was the finest power plant for a Roadster, but would like to know how you installed from the flywheel back?

Cheers
                Scotty

Comment

Some info. from my change over. I did away with the Fiat drive spider and rubber joint and cannibalised the spider, welded a flange on and machined it to suit the marina prop flange. Had the propshaft rebuilt as it needed to be, I think, slightly shorter, and mounted it with the sliding joint to the g/box end.
                  I had to do a total rebuild so a lot of bits were replaced which, hopefully, you wont need to.
                  Attached Files

Comment

...and that's why this forum is so fantastic

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
                      ...and that's why this forum is so fantastic
                      Agreed... awesome.
                      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

So much useful info there. Well done that man .

Comment

A little more info.
                          The oil filter I'm using now is a Mann W717-2, slightly longer but smaller dia. which fits in better as I've mounted it remotely and now have a cooling rad and thermostat.
                          Also I moded the clutch to a hydraulic system instead of the fiat cable using the marina slave cyl.
                          Some pics attached. As I've got the steering rack out at the mo. I'm going to take some more pics which will give a better idea, when i've finished my cuppa, it's b-- cold in the garage.
                          Attached Files

Comment

A few more pics. hopefully self explanitory. If not ask.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Is that an intercooler I see there? Did you feel you needed it? We don't have one in our set up - the engine doesn't seem to get too hot at all but the electric fan tends to switch on and goes on for up to 5-7 minutes after switching off. Also the oil filter info is much appreciated; I'm going to go & have a look & see if I have 10cms clearance for it - also what engine oil are you using?
                              Tony
                              Last edited by element; 01-11-17, 06:05 PM.

Comment

It's an oil cooler and thermostat. I use 15/40 semi year round. Oil temp comes up to 80C and that's it no matter how much I thrush it. Oil pressure at tickover hot is 20 and normal running 80.

Comment

Working...
                                X