• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking Berlinetta on eBay

Here

Wonder why..? Looks fairly tidy.
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Re: Breaking Berlinetta on eBay

The seller is listing hardtop and dashboard for £200 each. He clearly expects the parts to be worth more than the car. I have my doubts. I find the whole concept barbaric.
    Paul

Comment

Sounds like the same car Danny was talking about?
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

It's the way many of out early Marlins will go. Worth more as parts.
        Its a shame as many hours are spent on the build, but with little demand for a complete vehicle, what must we expect.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Okay gentlemen, First let me address John, David, and Steve. This Berlinetta suffered very heavy damage some time back. The driver lost the back end in wet greasy conditions and struck a bollard and barrier head on. The visual damage which would require panel replacement (after finding them) Front nose cone, two bonnet halves, two engine side panels, two front inner wings, two front wings, and a boot lid. other parts which could be seen to be damaged were front bumper, light bar lights, head and side, radiator fan etc etc. The front subframe was twisted the steering column bent, engine mounts sheared. This is what could be seen on first inspection. The car languished at a garage in the open for a long time waiting repair which never happened. Then all the damaged panels were removed, and a radiator and subframe located and fitted to be able to move the car about. Repair was considered but when inspected on a ramp more damage was found. I do not advise that a Marlin should not be returned to the road lightly, so the owner and myself considered all aspects before the decision was made. In this case the cost to rebuild (when a replacement chassis was found) was much more than a good replacement car. The damage was extensive and beyond the owners skills to undertake any of the work. We did consider selling the car for repair but could not be sure that this would be carried out properly and we did not want to be responsible for an unsafe car being put back on the road. There was at least one other major consideration which was personal to the owner ( which I am not going into on here) So it was decided that this car should give up its good parts to help keep other Berlinettas on the road. Now in answer to your post Paul, no on second thoughts I really don't think I will bother with a reply here. So guys there is the answer, I would also add, the axle has gone to a club member who broke his half shaft, at a fraction of the cost for replacement shafts. The gearbox to another member doing a 5 speed conversion, the engine, dash and instruments, doors and hinges all to club members. Danny.

Comment

Sounds to me like a well considered outcome and if the parts help other owners then all good :-)
            - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
            - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
            - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
            - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
            - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Amen to that. It is interesting to read the story behind a simple advert for parts for sale. Thank you Danny.

Comment

Te best thing that could be done with such a 'well crashed' car.
                You never know how much has been affected by such an impact!

Comment

Just goes to show you can’t judge a car by its eBay photo. Thanks for the explanation Danny. Not as nearly as barbaric as I originally thought.
                  Paul

Comment

Originally posted by milliemarlin View Post
                    Just goes to show you can’t judge a car by its eBay photo. Thanks for the explanation Danny. Not as nearly as barbaric as I originally thought.
                    Paul
                    A little more information goes a long way.
                    A sorry story but with a reasonable outcome if the parts keep another Berlinetta on the road.

One wonders if the Berlinetta that ended up with no IVA as a garden ornament, might be rebuilt with a new chassis number?

Not that I am condoning any illegal activity, but one MOT'd Berlinetta could revive a Berlinetta IVA failure.
                    MOC member since 05/97
                    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post

One wonders if the Berlinetta that ended up with no IVA as a garden ornament, might be rebuilt with a new chassis number?

Not that I am condoning any illegal activity, but one MOT'd Berlinetta could revive a Berlinetta IVA failure.
                      I'm sure that wouldn't be allowed! However, the crashed car could be rebuilt (with contemporary parts) and not fall foul of the IVA - after all, it would then be a restoration wouldn't it?

Comment

There have been a few of those on ebay recently, various kit cars with no v5. 'Uncompleted projects' obviously stripped . A 'Dutton 7' being sold by a dealer which was actually a well known Locust7 replated.

Comment

It happens, but it does.
                          MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Most of us have seen kit car, and classis V5 docs, for sale openly on ebay and else where, with and without chassis or parts of the car. Whatever. I would not condone anything illegal, but it is up to the individual how they see the( rebuild) of any thing. As the saying goes each to his own.

Comment

Working...
                            X