Spam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spam

Just recieved this, I take it you didn't send it Liz.

From <email removed>
    Hello, please can you help me with a soft loan of £5,000 to sort out some financial needs and I will return it back next week.
    Waiting to read from you so that I can send you my bank details.
    Regards, Liz

Looks like your mail address has been hacked.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________
    Edited by the administrator to remove actual email address. Please do not put personal information in this public place. I advise against putting any information such as phone numbers, email, address, etc. Putting other peoples information is not acceptable. I’m sure Hugh did not intend to expose this information. Paul
    Last edited by mocad2016; 16-10-17, 06:41 PM.

Re: Spam

Hi Liz, me too!

Comment

Me as well

Comment

Is there a connection between the leading lights of the MOC and spammed email accounts.
        Does it explain the MOC's apparent reluctance to adopt new technology's.

Certainly with BT and other major suppliers there are Spam emails sent out, stating that your email password is about to expire etc.

If you reply to these and change your password, be aware, check the validity of the source, is it a secure site etc, etc.

This is something you should be wise to, exactly the same as a contractor who knocks on your door, telling you he was working on a roof, over the road, and noticed you had a couple of loose tiles, but he is in the area, and can fix it at a discount price.

We should all be aware of our own security and that of our colleagues with whom we might communicate.
        Last edited by stevejgreen; 16-10-17, 04:13 PM.

Comment

This was circulating here in france mid april, although obviously in French a colleague received it! and ditched it

Comment

And me smelt a rat straight away.
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Me too!

(With a topical tongue in cheek.............. Harvey Weinstein followers will understand)

Comment

Hi Steve thanks for the timely heads up.

Only today I saw an article titled “Everything With Wi-Fi Has a Newly Discovered Security Flaw.” Be careful out there.

I reply to your questions:
                Is there a connection between the leading lights of the MOC and spammed email accounts?

Absolutely not! Members should be aware that the senders name and email is often spoofed by spammers to lend an air of legitimacy.
                Does it explain the MOC's apparent reluctance to adopt new technologies?

I can confirm again that the MOC is keen to adopt new technology where appropriate. But it should be remembered that we represent a membership some of whom believe replacing points with electronics is a step too far.

I can confirm that there are no members of the club that require an urgent bail out of any amount. Should any members feel the need to send money somewhere; I can be contacted by pm. Smiley face, winky face. #notalltechnologyIsGood
                Paul

Comment

[QUOTE=stevejgreen;44213]Is there a connection between the leading lights of the MOC and spammed email accounts.
                  Does it explain the MOC's apparent reluctance to adopt new technology's.

Not sure what your getting at Steven - connection between the leading lights of the MOC ? and apparent reluctance to adopt new technology's ? please explain!

PS you do know its not compulsory to be a member of the MOC.
                  YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

My day job is in email security, there's not really much you can do at this. It's a type of phishing (Google that) which targets people of rank within an organisation. Some call it CEO fraud.

For example, someone spoofs the CEO's from email account and asks the Financial Director to send millions to this customer quickly as it's urgent, FD does, CEO knows nothing about it... bank account is emptied rather quickly.
                    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

The timely heads up, was nothing to do with me.

My reference to the leading lights of the MOC was related to the history of other senior members apparently being victim of a fraud, several committee members with Bt internet addresses have fallen victim to a somilar scam. But it's not exclusive to BT.

Recently in my spam box was a message allegedly from BT offering a link to change my password to improve my security.
                      I am aware of these scams, and check thoroughly before clicking on a random link and entering my password etc.

You are correct. The MOC are not to blame, but historically, the leading lights of the MOC, not exclusively BT customers seem to have fallen foul of this sort of scam.

Be aware, this is not exclusive to MOC forum users.
                      Dont click on a random link, no matter how convincing it looks.
                      If necessary, use a telephone, (old school) or a known, from a letter etc, Internet address to check.

Dont believe what you read in a random email!

Comment

Yes I was hacked. Yes probably BT I was asked to log in. Computer froze on Fri BUT the emails went out Mon and we were away without computer or tablets or anything so thanks for all the phone calls etc. 34 messages when we got back! Liz

Comment

Originally posted by lizbillings View Post
                          Yes I was hacked. Yes probably BT I was asked to log in. Computer froze on Fri BUT the emails went out Mon and we were away without computer or tablets or anything so thanks for all the phone calls etc. 34 messages when we got back! Liz
                          Being a BT customer, I too see requests occasionally for me to re-enter my username and password.

They are designed to look plausible, but my advice is always the same. First ignore them. Second use a different browser and attempt a login, but look carefully, if it's not a secure site, STOP.

Often these phishing emails have multiple links, use your mouse, hover over them, if the address looks fake, STOP.

If in real doubt, use ancient technology, and phone them on a known number on your bill, not one on an email.

This is not exclusive to BT, but it seems to me having used this forum and previous versions, that it is BT/MOC customers that are being targeted.

Unfortunately once the hackers find one weak link, they will look for another associated with that weakness. The very reason that I ignore most email and messages apparently from BT.

Other internet providers are not excempt.

Comment

Working...
                          X