O Series Roadster attempt for IVA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O Series Roadster attempt for IVA

I have finally managed to to clear my garage enough to get the marlin in with a bit of space to work on it I even gave it a quick pressure wash so I could get an idea of its condition under the grime.
    I have now started to make a list of action (this is going to grow to be a long list).

1/ Tie rod bushes are non existent, plus all the front suspension has been painted hammerite green or blue (not by me). So a strip down to check all the bushes, a clean up and repaint is needed. Update new track rod rubber boots and poly tie rod bushes ordered. Drivers side front suspension stripped off, a real jumble of metric and af nuts and bolts. Other side to get off hopefully this will take less than the 2 hours this side took. I will then clean back and re paint the chassis black while I get the suspension blasted.

2/ Brakes have apparently been rebuilt but one of the copper pipes seems to be routed the wrong way I will also have to check if the front back dual circuit split is ok for IVA or do I need to do a diagonal split front to back? Looking at the iva docs I will have to try and locate the dual circuit warning switch.

3/ Engine 1.7 O series, said to have been rebuilt in the past but never restarted so I think it would be a good idea to jury rig this and see if it runs. A quick check of the oil filter and thermostat housing has revealed unused new items so hopefully a check over carb and points will see it ready for testing. The only engine related missing items is the alternator and its top cast mount, if I cannot locate one I will have to try and make one up.

4/ I checked the supplied radiator and it looks in poor state and would take a lot of cleaning up and I understand they are a bit marginal. I think I read that the honda civic rad fits and is good for 120hp
    a quick look on ebay came up with the standard rad at £28 or a 3 core all alloy rad with fan supplied
    for £82 has anyone tried these ?

5/ I have 2 different types of bear claw door locks neither seems to fit in the doors without sticking out a bit, on the smaller one I have indicated where I would have to trim the leaver so it would work, would anyone have a photo of one that has past iva please.

6/ Herald demist vents will fit above and the y section under the dash.

7/ The welded bracket on the side of the chassis is one of a pair that I think was intended to mount the o/drive gearbox rear support, this is now screwed to the inside of the chassis ( box section about 6" by 2" a bit over engineered perhaps). As I don't think the iva inspector would be impressed the out side brackets will be removed.

I must admit having looked at darth vader and meveret builds here I have no hope of building to those standards, my main challenge is to get it past IVA.

Photos to follow in the next few days.

Cheers

Phild
    Attached Files
    Last edited by phild; 25-10-17, 07:32 PM.

Re: O Series Roadster attempt for IVA

The list will grow but just concentrate on one thing at a time.

This build will be of interest to everyone on the forum.

I am sure more knowledgeable people than myself will be able to assist as you go through the build.

Good luck.

Regards

Adrian
    Last edited by listerjp2; 25-10-17, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Hi Phild,
      Some advise I was given, don't underestimate the time, effort and money that you will need to put to a project.
      I have completely stripped mine and wire brushed the chassis to bare metal before repainting and rebuilding and so far it’s been a year and engine only just gone back in.
      Good luck and keep us all posted on your progress and remember a few pictures.
      Cheers, Martin.

Comment

As Adrian says..but above all, take your time and enjoy it

Comment

Thanks for the input and encouragement, I dismantled the nearside front suspension today 1 hour 10mins to do as i knew the order to dismantle this time, all ready for cleaning up and paint. I would have done more but I had to go into town and order paint and front wing for the wifes panda, had an argument with a post in a car park on friday.
          Just aiming a two things at present clean up repaint front of chassis and front suspension and see if I can get the engine to run. There is a list as long as my arm I know if I look at it I will get diverted on to something else, trying to get in tunnel vision mode and spend 1/2 hour to an hour on it when I get home from work if not tired.

Comment

Working...
          X