Roadster dashboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Roadster dashboard

When I removed the loom I labeled everything that had a connection so my plan is to lay it out and open it all up then remove the unused wires before putting in place. To reduce on the spaghetti bundle behind the dash I also plan to cut out any excessive length. Could be fun, a bit of head scratching and quite possibly a few questions posted on here to you guys.
    Cheers, Martin.

Comment

Some pics of mine but I'm thinking of moveing and changing some switches.
      Attached Files

Comment

If you can, replace those individual terminals with a couple of multiblocks, will make life so much easier if you ever take it apart in the future, ebay 222567470457.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminUser View Post
          If you can, replace those individual terminals with a couple of multiblocks, will make life so much easier if you ever take it apart in the future, ebay 222567470457.
          That's a great read to store away in the memory banks!
          - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
          - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
          - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
          - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
          - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminUser View Post
            .......... like this?

- but try to curb the desire to make the wires neater by shortening them - and don't ask me why!
            - my nuckles suffer each time I re-fit my dash!

[IMG]Dash Wiring by Mike Garner, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

I did something similar but managed to use just two multiway connectors. In order to remove the dash I just need to disconnect two connectors, disconnect the speedo drive and remove two screws. Having said that I've had no cause to try it but it sounds good in theory.

Comment

That’s a good bit of advice and some quality wiring there. My loom is still a tangled mess in a box at the moment. Got to dig it out and try to suss out my labeling.

Comment

I took a length out of my loom in situ by striping the wrap and cutting and soldering each wire slow but certain. Yes heat shrink is magic especially if you can slide it over while the joint is hot . This winter I am re-doing my dash with a 5 clock Marina assembly. I just haven't decided how yet. Oops 4clock!
                  Last edited by HairyDave; 08-11-17, 10:14 PM. Reason: can't count

Comment

When I was tackling the electrics on my Berli I discovered these things to join wires. Just use a heat gun, I mostly put some heat shrink on top but you don't need it.

Comment

Seems to be the season for taking your dashboard apart .. here's my effort .. before not after, currently refinishing the wood, reInsulating and checking the wiring, new switches etc. Will also trim the gearbox cover whilst I have good access..
                      IMG_2901.JPG
                      IMG_2885.JPG

Let me know suggestions on your favourite finish on the wood.. I think it's ash.. but I'm no expert..
                      Cheers
                      Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
                      Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Comment

Just dug out the box with my loom and a bit of a mess. Got to lay it all out to get to understand it and my labeling.

5B50881E-7D25-4426-BB5F-3B70585D2133.jpeg

Also had a look at my clocks and forgot how good they are, think I will reuse them. They are Smiths 80mm electronic Speedo and rev counter, a quick Google search and downloaded the installation and calibration instructions.

BD66787B-3EA9-47C2-A86D-046259922D53.jpeg

I have also got a 2” fuel, temp and an oil pressure gauges to go in.
                        I have done my CAD (cardboard) template for the dash and want to use my steering column cowl and indicator arm so need to set the dash slightly back in the scuttle, got to figure out the best way to fix the dash in the scuttle in this position.

image.jpg

Comment

Looks like oak to me a good polyethylene varnish or spray is about the most durable but I am now using water based enamel spray on my furniture with good results what ever finish you choose try a small corner first and let it dry just to make sure your new finish won't react with the old.
                          Regards Angus

Comment

Hi Angus, Do you have a brand for that spray, I could research it ? Thanks ..
                            Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
                            Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Comment

I stained my Ash veneer dash with 'Pine' coloured wood stain (7 coats I think until it was the colour I wanted - then cellulose sanding sealer and eventually a nitro cellulose laquer spray x 5/6 coats (with countless rubbing downs with finer and finer abrasive paper and wire wool). Hung it in the green house to dry..

Comment

Hi Richard,
                                Millie’s dash is mahogany finished with yacht varnish. I brushed on 3 or 4 coats with a light sand (high spotting) between coats. A final very thin (like water) coat was applied with a soft cloth.

I too think your dash looks like oak. Some of the trim in Millie is also oak and varnished as the mahogany.
                                Paul
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X