Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was someone looking for a Fiat Twin Cam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Was someone looking for a Fiat Twin Cam?

Hi Guys

The Lancia twin cam and the Fiat one are slightly different

The carb is arranged differently - With both the carb is positioned so that when you are braking the carb can get fuel starvation - which does not matter
    But if you mount the Fiat engine transversely it starves on cornering
    And the same if you mount the Lancia engine fore-aft

So if you put a Lancia engine in a Marlin and want to just keep the carb it's worth trying to get the Fiat intake manifold

The Lancia block also has the mountings for the jack-shaft - but you can just ignore them

My palls Marlin had a Fiat twin cam back in the 80's - it was great! - faster than any other cars - modern motorbikes were quicker but it was a good match for the old Triumphs and single cam Hondas

Comment

That's interesting. I had a Strada with the twinc in it so transverse. Was a hoot to drive - massive torque steer but no starvation on corners - so maybe that had the same as the Lancia (beta/ monte carlo etc?) Useful info.

Comment

I put a Lancia twin cam in my mini
        Well - it started out going to be a Lancia one but it was seized so I put an 1800cc twin cam from a Fiat 131 in for a while before replacing it with a Lancia engine

First picture with the Ugly Clubman front - that was the one with fuel starvation

Then I fitted a 2 liter Lancia unit - with Webers and lumpy cams

Later pictures - 175 Hp
        It was a blast - I would drive to the track with my small trailer behind - put the slicks and the wheel arch extensions on it

The final picture is my pals Marlin with the Twin cam in it - we had learned so that had the Fiat manifold and carb on it
        Attached Files
        Last edited by duncan; 07-04-18, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Hello Dave.
          Still the answer is no.Stuck in the shed with the same rope on it
          as we used to get it out of the car. I need to sort the gearbox out (is it 4 or 5 speed ? )
          and use the bell housing to put a starter motor on the engine.

Re-Ben and engine weight I think a triumph engine weighs as much as a Fiat engine and gearbox together.

See you all at Stoneleigh. regards Keith Biddulph.

Comment

A Triumph six weighs 138kg and another 25kg for a 4 speed box.
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hello Dave.
              Spent an hour sending you a message about the Fiat twin cam.
              Got no where. will phone you.

Regards K Biddulph. (all good)

Comment

Hi Keith
                PM sent.
                DaveP

Comment

That Marlin (SPV 193) is in the gallery with aero screens!

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/spv-193/

David.
                  - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                  - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                  - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                  - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                  - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                    That Marlin (SPV 193) is in the gallery with aero screens!

David.
                    Chassis swop?
                    MOC member since 05/97
                    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                      Chassis swop?
                      It does look like it could be the same car actually.
                      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Hi
                        SPV 193 is Phil Butler's Marlin - I believe it has been off the road for about 10 years

It was a Triumph kit - but it has a live axle from a Ford and a Fiat Twin Cam

I remember helping to build and re-build and then re-build it back in the 80's - it was a lovely car to drive

Comment

My roadster is a hybrid and also has a ford capri back axle and a fiat 2L twin cam.
                          This is why I purchased Hairy Dave's engine and gearbox.
                          I am still progressing with this and will have a backup for years.

I love the auto back up feature on this.A bit like me and Dave's engine.

Merry christmas to all Keith. (Barrmie Brummie ) Title given to me at Merriden by previous Chairman

Comment

Hi Keith
                            I'm glad its progressing well . I had and probably still have too many toys, I was never going to use that engine & gearbox. I sold my Landrover camper to an enthusiast to rebuild, and an old landrover engine for spares, he probably had as much fun as you getting it out of his car. I have just spent a couple of months dodging weather sorting my Series1 Landrover and still have to put a new clutch in it! One day I can start on the Roadster , weather permitting. I might just get around to making the LWB hardtop fit my SWB Roadster . Then there will be the sidescreens!
                            Merry Christmas to you and everyone else Dave

Comment

15.2.19 To Hairy Dave and every one.
                              Still going at it. Engine has all steel to aluminium parts seized.
                              Two plugs have broken off and a gearbox bell housing bolt had its head sheared.
                              Today I hoisted the engine up in the garage.
                              This was to scrape off the oily muck and get ready for the sump replacement.
                              This will happen tomorrow as the sump on it leeks oil. I put a pint in and two gallon has come out
                              all over the shed floor.
                              This engine will run .I am not shure what year !

Comment

Happy New year Keith. Its all fun playing with old cars isn't it. PersonalyI would have introduced that engine to Plus gas as soon as I got it out of the car. During my grovelling under the Ser1 Landrover befre Christmas I had to remove and replace the rear diff. A job that thirty years ago I could have done easily sitting underneath , lift it up two handed hold it one handed while I put the nuts back. Not any more! I ended up using a plank and wedges to lift it, as the doctor said a couple of days later, after telling me I had wrenched my shoulder and needed to rest it for a couple of months. 'You're not 21 any more'! Its been too cold anyway but I'm getting back to what passes for nomal and the weather is warming up so Hey Ho back on my back! Keep at it. If the force be with you, the Dark side will not triumph.Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X