What did I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did I do?

Well as a new owner of what I think is a lovely Sportster, there is still very much a novelty factor when the cover comes off.
    I turned the key and it fired almost instantly, what a lovely sound. It ran for a while to get warm, not moved for two weeks, had to speak to three chaps walking past the drive, 'No it's not a Morgan it's a Marlin, Its a British Made kit car, the BMW badge is off the donor car. No its not really like a Morgan, you wont get splinters to start with', (well you have to don't you! ) 'Its a 6 cylinder 2.5ltr BMW engine, Yes it does shift a bit if asked to'.

Also took a friend for a little drive, and he was highly amused at the way people reacted to seeing the car.

I bought a 'push to start' button, got to fit it, its the only way, and a couple of wind deflectors and fixing brackets, not sure how yet as the Sportster screen brackets lack a little 'meat' at the top end, guessing I will be fixing them low down on the screen frame, and I will be giving the 'chop' to the defectors, hopefully to make them fit how I want them to. I also need to fit a new rear view mirror as the current dashboard mounted one obstructs the view of the near side front, not sure if to go with an extended stalk or a screen mount, decisions, decisions.

I washed it and applied another coat of polish, wind resistance has to be dropping off dramatically now, and tucked it away under its nanotech cover.

Re: What did I do?

Glad you are enjoying it. Lovely car. Ours not been out since we saw you due to snow at last Sheldon meet so we took the Yeti instead.
    Best wishes
    Liz & Doug

Comment

^ oh another s m owner then! had 2 over the years 2011 to now, wonderful beast!

Comment

Just a quick trip to the supermarket yesterday.
        I had a very similar conversation with a gent in a car park recently: http://www.marlinownersclub.com/foru...-conversations
        Last edited by chris_cussen; 05-12-17, 09:38 AM. Reason: screwed up link

Comment

Thanks Folks. I don't think we will be attending 28th, Kim will be working and as I contract I will work as well. Have to pay for NYE drinks some how )

Comment

Hi Steve. I presume you mean the Peak District meet on the 30th. Sorry you can't make it, hope to see you both sometime in the new year. Best wishes to all David.

Comment

IMHO wind deflectors are a waste of time. I fitted some to my Roadster when I built it 19 years ago and I don't think they do anything. I am probably teaching granny to suck eggs but if you are insistent on fitting some make sure you have the hood up before you start so that they don't hinder putting the hood up.

Comment

I beg to disagree Keith, following a very scientific comparison many moons ago...max speed at which cap would remain on-head without deflectors, c50mph. Max speed for cap-retention with deflectors nearer 60mph...
                Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_red_roadster View Post
                  I beg to disagree Keith, following a very scientific comparison many moons ago...max speed at which cap would remain on-head without deflectors, c50mph. Max speed for cap-retention with deflectors nearer 60mph...
                  I think expectations are the problem, they reduce buffeting but don't eliminate it
                  Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

I have a single glass roadster deflector if anyone needs a spare.

Comment

Totally agree, done the test and will keep the deflectors.

Comment

Another way to reduce buffeting is to fit a deflector behind the seats (head height) this stops the sausage roll of air as it comes over the top of the screen. Those of us fortunate to still have hair will have noticed that it blows forward into your eyes , take your hat off for this test, or get out the Cossack.

Comment

David, Yes I did mean that meeting, but for some reason thought it was 28th. Pays to listen properly I guess.

Comment

What size cap and was it worn speedster style facing backwards or gentleman style facing forwards

Comment

Thanks for that advice Keith. I need to get a hood )
                              Last edited by stevepritch; 09-01-18, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X