Micro blistering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micro blistering

Has anyone experiance of micro blistering .I have small bubbles within the paint on my car it has only been stored under a car cover one month and these have appeared
    My guess is the fiberglass was not totally clear of moisture before the car was sprayed and now as it is under-sealed the damp has made its way to the top coat of paint
    well i think that,s the cause but I am now looking at suggestions to find a cure apart from a full respray
    any ideas? appreciated

Re: Micro blistering

I've had quite a lot of this. It's due to styrene trapped in the gel coat because it was too thick and not cured properly. The only way I've found to remedy it is dig them out, fill and repaint. It seems to happen more if you store under a cover and don't allow air to circulate properly.
    Also seen it a lot on boat hulls, particularly under the water line due to osmosis and improperly cured and mixed resin.

Comment

If you search "Micro blisters in paint over GRP" there are plenty of threads and opinions.

Seems bad prep, moister freezing under paint and car covers are the most common theories of the cause.

Dont think there will be a cure other than a respray as the bubble has now stretched the paint. Could be wrong??
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Many thanks its my cover is the issue i think so its going to be a respray the car was factory built so I guess panels were damp to start with it has had no previous issues but was kept in a heated de humidified garage as part of a collection oh well repaint in the spring who cares its only money sob sob.

Comment

I have experienced this aswell but on the bonnet and the fibre glass, I think caused by trapped moisture expanding when exposed to frost.
          Only real cure to strip and repaint. I also had the same problem about 10 years ago with an MG Midget stored under a car cover which I blamed as the major cause of the problem. Both cars painted with cellulose paint which I think tends to be more brittle than Syntetics so the micro bubbles crack and flake.
          2 pack or water based would I suspect would be better but I am no expert.
          Graham

Comment

Many thanks Graham for your input looks like a repaint to follow next year

Comment

If you burst one of the blisters I bet you can smell the styrene.

Comment

the microblisters may be water (though i agree more likely to be styrene on a grp panel) if they are only on the grp panels then its styrene if its all over then the painter had moisture in his air. IN reality it doesnt matter as the only is to repaint...following a flat back to the original material

Comment

Only on the GRP panels the rear wings and the body tub front wings bonnet and doors are fine Bonnet cowl has a few spots too I think i will try and get a portable garage with a dehumidifier for Xmas So sick as the car was immaculate until now
                  Last edited by burnside; 07-12-17, 04:20 PM.

Comment

sh1t happenz!!

Comment

I've got the same problem although it's all over the car on mine. Interesting note about the cover as mine spent time under a cover while work was being done on my garage.
                      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Maybe the quality of the car cover used, I have had mine under a car cover for two winters without any blistering.
                        Hope this is still the case early April next year

Comment

My cover is a monsoon previously used for my porsche boxer albeit it fits the marlin and I thought it allowed sufficient air to pass through the cover was a bit damp prior to use as it had been stored in my shed couldn't belive the end result could be so damaging to the paint though looks to be latex bleeding through so respray seems to be the only cure it will be garaged from this weekend until spring and have a cloth cover

Comment

Mine is also from Cover Your Car the Stormforce version, I would prefer mine to be garaged with a cloth cover although that is not practical for me at the moment.
                            I noted in the instructions that the cover should be taken off once a month and the car must be perfectly dry, gets around any potential warranty claims neatly

Comment

Mine was only under cover 3 weeks

Comment

Working...
                              X