Jrr 929 d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jrr 929 d

Doug worked on the head but it was over 20 yrs ago!

Comment

Originally posted by lizbillings View Post
      Doug worked on the head but it was over 20 yrs ago!
      Ah, 20 years is a long time for nature to intervene and break stuff, it's probably just worn out bores and pistons!
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Have you tried some oil down the bores during the test to indicate whether it's rings or valves at fault?

Comment

Originally posted by copperleaves11 View Post
          Have you tried some oil down the bores during the test to indicate whether it's rings or valves at fault?
          Not yet, but it's on the list. Thanks for the tip, more welcome!
          - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
          - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
          - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Oil Pressure Gauge

Got the sender fitted with a tee piece so I can still use the oil warning light switch.

Gauge is fitted but not in the clock position at the moment as I can't get that out easily. I've mounted it in the glovebox area using a screw already there until next weekend when I'll have another go at getting the clock out.

Turns out the wiring that was there was a live feed, so not good for the sender to gauge so I had to run another wire.

Spec for this engine is 40-60psi and it's showing as per the gauge so oil pressure looks OK, which is a nice surprise. It will drop off when the engine warms up so will do that later to see what it runs at.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by David; 01-06-19, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Steering column to rack.

The lower clamp was loose, allowing the column to move. Here's the disassembly and reassembly of the front to tighten it up. Pic's show the spline fully into the clamp, mostly out and the position I've clamped it at to give me an extra 5mm clearance between the scuttle and steering wheel. I think I should plan to change the steering wheel for one with a slight dish and re-clamp the spline all the way in.

Also took the opportunity to tighten up the number plate fixing and paint the fan centre whilst they were easy to get at.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by David; 16-06-19, 11:34 AM.

Comment

During the tightening of the steering column clamp I manually turned the front wheels to get the clamp bold in line with the socket, at which time I noticed too much play in the nearside front wheel bearing, an audible clonk when rocking the wheel.

Another thing to look at before the first test drive, hopefully it's just a tighten up job and new split/cotter pin if there's a hole in a handy location in the nut on the axle. Worse case a new axle and bearing, which appear to be available still and not too pricey.

If any recent prior owner knows of anything else that should be looked at please let me know now, I have some reputation amnesty certificates waiting for you. :-)

I'll have it done by winter!
                Last edited by David; 16-06-19, 11:22 AM.

Comment

If as I suspect JRR is using an extended Triumph column there would be an original sliding joint near the bulkhead
                  which would allow you to refine the steering wheel position.

Your lucky because JRR is wider than a regular Triumph roadster your column doesn't go through the
                  suspension tower as per original Triumph design which can cause clearance problems.
                  Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks Ben, I'll have a look for that sliding joint to see if there's some adjustment there.

A slightly dished wheel is now a more realistic option since I swapped in a Spitfire gearstick which is angled more so bringing the gear knob further back.

Mind you, me being shorter than the average Marlin owner from the knee down I do need to make sure I can still reach the pedals!

Comment

A bit of play in the front left wheel fixed by tightening up the bearing and fitting new split pin.
                      Attached Files

Comment

New front number plate mount replacing the weird piece of alloy which was simply held in place by the clamping force of the plate being screwed up tight. I had to drill two small holes each side in the front to mount the new piece of steel then bold the plate to that, after painting of course. I may have to loosen if off a bit and wiggle to tweak the alignment.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by David; 24-06-19, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Another job ticked off the list.

Adrian

Comment

They do keep jumping out at me! One day I'll be confident enough to drive it! Still got a few things on the list to sort out first, like the brakes, and the fact that it gets stuck in reverse!

Comment

Properly fitted the oil pressure gauge in the hole where the dead clock was today. Clock safely stored away. Been distracted with life for a few weeks...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                                ... Been distracted with life for a few weeks...
                                Surely some mistake; working on JRR 292D is life. Everything else is a distraction.
                                Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X