Jrr 929 d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Jrr 929 d

Just get them powder coated with the wheels. Can't imagine that it will cost much more.

Comment

Will powder coating survive the high temperature of brakes?

Will it affect the heat dissipation of the drums?
      Last edited by David; 16-08-19, 06:31 PM.
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Hi David
        The rear drums don't get that hot unless you over adjust them and then that will cause the wheel cylinders to leak. I painted mine in gloss black from Toolstation at the time it was paint made by Flag. No flaking or peeling evident so far

If you really want a heat proof paint then you could use a tin of matt black log stove enamel , Toolstation sell it in aerosols . No primer needed with that paint , just remove as much of the rust with rotary wire brushes used in corded drills. The drum can then be placed in the oven to cure the paint.

Comment

Hi David
          I'm curious why you should want to paint the rear drums black when the front discs are shiny.
          Also the original cushions went with the car when it left North Wales. I have no info where they went afterwards ( or what was done to the car)
          Last edited by djj_engineer; 17-08-19, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Hi Derek,

Only because they are rusting, visible through they wheels and a wire brush didn’t easily get them shiny again. I’ve done them in satin black hammerite which I had in the garage.

The seat cushions are covered in some black leather covers from another vehicle and are fine for now. Maybe the foam cushions are the originals, no easy way to tell! Paul M does recall them being fabric covered though.
            Attached Files
            - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
            - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
            - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Hi David
              I changed the rear drums for new ones after I found the others were not round! I didn't paint them cos I had lost interest in the car by then.
              I created the seat covers from a RR back seat but I could not get out off the car with the steering wheel in position hence to removable steering.
              But I found that sitting on the wooden seat was a better driving position.

Comment

So those seat covers are probably the most expensive part of the car!

The removable steering wheel fitting was not on the car when I got it. It had a Moto-lita three spoke flat wood rim which I have just changed for a slightly dished version in black to bring the wheel closer to me, matching the overdrive Spitfire gearstick (hollow so the wires can go through it) I put in which is angled back slightly more.

Both mods take them a bit further away from the dashboard controls which is nice especially on the steering wheel which is now in a position more like the small leather rimmed item the car had on it when you acquired it. The tonneau cover still fits OK, why we call these covers that in two seaters I don't know! :-)

IMG_20170822_171349.jpg

6D0CE863-C965-4B4B-9153-542A943FFF93.jpeg
                Last edited by David; 18-08-19, 09:12 AM.

Comment

The word tonneau is French, meaning 'cask' or a large barrel like container made of wood, metal, or plastic, used for storing liquids, typically alcoholic drinks. ... A tonneau cover describes the device to cover up and protect whatever is stored in the tonneau - passengers in a car or cargo in a truck or pickup truck.

Comment

Quote "So those seat covers are probably the most expensive part of the car!"

Is THAT RR= Rolls Royce or more likely RR= Range Rover??

I know where my money is!!
                    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post
                      Quote "So those seat covers are probably the most expensive part of the car!"

Is THAT RR= Rolls Royce or more likely RR= Range Rover??

I know where my money is!!
                      Ah, good point

Comment

The cockpit is looking nice and period, I like it. I do like the look of the seats, if they are as comfy as they look good the you're on a winner........ I have a pair of MX5 Mk1 seats to crowbar into my Cabrio over the winter, hope I can achieve something that looks as good. For general info, MX5 seats are a well known swap in the TVR fraternity (I sold my TVR in Feb after owning a Chimaera for 8 years, I found that when I was choosing a car to take out I was always choosing the Cabrio) as they are just such comfortable seats, sadly the base is a tad wide but with a little persuasion they should fit.
                        2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

Thank, the seats are comfy just the trim detail on and around the rear upright is bad so trying to find a local trimmer to tidy them up as my efforts will not improve them!

Comment

Hi David

Try this guy, he's good and fairly local

www.ajtrimming.co uk

Used him for the Zip in my tonnau.

Adrian

Originally posted by David View Post
                            Thank, the seats are comfy just the trim detail on and around the rear upright is bad so trying to find a local trimmer to tidy them up as my efforts will not improve them!

Comment

I’ve tried to get him a few times, no response..

Comment

Engine & Gearbox

Right, I'm gearing up, pun intended, to refurbish the engine and gearbox. The car appears to have a Vitesse MK1 2ltr with overdrive box.

First quote I have from a local reputable restorer is £8k of which the large amounts are £2800 is for the engine refurb and £2000 is for labour.

I'm not looking for a long debate on saving a few quid here and there but are these numbers in the ball park in anyones experience?

An option is to swap in a cheap used motor (probably a MK2 as they are more plentiful etc) but that means we loose the 'matching numbers' of chassis and engine the car currently enjoys. Is this an issue for tis car, should I try and keep the original engine?

I did wonder about setting up a crowd funding page to help with the cost as this car is an historical asset for the club but that feels a bit odd given I own the car!

Thanks,

David.

Comment

Working...
                                X