Jrr 929 d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Jrr 929 d

Try “black wheel nut covers” on eBay I have no personal experience with them.
    Paul

Comment

Frost do a black 'coating' like anodising for steel. I have no experience of it.

Comment

Originally posted by milliemarlin View Post
        Try “black wheel nut covers” on eBay I have no personal experience with them.
        Paul
        Thanks, will have a look.
        - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
        - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
        - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
        - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
        - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
          Frost do a black 'coating' like anodising for steel. I have no experience of it.

Good tip, will have a look when I've looked ta the V8 Sportster project... I wish I had the space and £'s for that!
          - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
          - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
          - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post

Can chrome wheel nuts be anodised, or do I need to start with plain steel?

Found these at Canley Classics, pricey though, and not responding to emails about them.

https://www.canleyclassics.com/suspe...el-wheel-nuts/

Comment

Years ago there was a box of chemicals available called Metal Black, it was aimed at modellers for blackening all sorts of metals etc think one of them was for chrome, I successfully used it in my model railways days. Maybe google it!

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                Can chrome wheel nuts be anodised, or do I need to start with plain steel?
                Perhaps I should start by apologising for opening this particular can of worms for you.........

Regarding the chromed nuts. Chrome is just a covering, there is no reason why this cannot be buffed, emeried, off and then anodised. Will be hard work mind as chrome is hard stuff. Depends on how much free time you have and, of course, if you really want to put in the not insignificant effort to get these back to pre-chrome.
                2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

You can only anodise alluminium and magnesium and some titanium alloys, plateing is a different process.

Comment

Wheels are on!

Still need to source some black wheel nuts but for now...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Odds and ends to do...

- Right rear wheel bearing, or drive shaft joint is very noisy
                      - Front left wheel bearing needs adjusting some more or replacing
                      - Overdrive isn't working
                      - Got the materials (aluminium) and tools (bender, slip roller etc) ready to start building a frame for the aero screens over the winter.

The overdrive will get fixed when the engine and gearbox are overhauled next year.

So, just about ready for Kop Hill Climb, I may risk driving it now I've bled all the hydraulics and got the wheels and tyres sorted.

Comment

To misquote Graham Taylor - I do like the look of that. Wheels look great and definitely suit the style of the car.
                        2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

Originally posted by wiggiesworld View Post
                          To misquote Graham Taylor - I do like the look of that. Wheels look great and definitely suit the style of the car.
                          Thanks for that, the black spoked steering wheel has worked as well with is a relief!

Comment

Glovebox reshape

Scratching around for small jobs prior to Kop Hill Climb. Decided to reshape the glovebox to get it to align better with the dashboard.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Surprise!

Whilst replacing a missing panel bolt from left on the main chassis rail I thought the chassis felt a bit soft! A poke with a screwdriver revealed 5mm of dirt compacted on it below the alternator. I scraped half a kilo of dirt off it! Haven't looked to see if the offside is the same.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                                Wheels are on!

Still need to source some black wheel nuts but for now...
                                I think Burton Performance do black wheel nuts? Peter.

Comment

Working...
                                X