Jrr 929 d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jrr 929 d

I think its been altered since 2004. I don't think we have any interior pictures.

Comment

s-l1600-18.jpg
      Originally posted by b_caswell View Post
      I may revert to a dash mounted switch, unless someone can tell me that the Spitfire overdrive gearstick will swap with this Vitesse one as the Spit stick is drilled for the wires I believe. But then I think I recall back in the day that these used to wear through the insulation and short out as well.

Unless you can find a spitfire/GT6 gear stick from an early 3 rail box!! the later single rail gear lever is different.
      You could try using some shrink wrap over the existing cables they also wear on the entry hole into the stick as well.
      Is this, on eBay, the correct stick Ben?
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Sorry missed that first time round yes thats for a three rail box needs the ball changing.
        You need the knob that takes the switch and there should be a threaded collar that holds the knob on.

The collar C30623 actually goes inside the knob not as shown in drawing.
        Last edited by b_caswell; 21-12-18, 01:52 PM.
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks Ben, I've bought the stick, and Rimmers have the collar and associated bits.
          - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
          - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
          - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Finally! an update. Managed to get the Spitfire overdrive gearstick in place and re-bushed today. That means I have the wiring going through the hollow stick now, not squashed into the know and shorting out.

Bonus is that the clearance to the fuel line is now several inches, and the Spitfire stick is angled back more so shorty me will find it easier.

Had to drift out the reducer in the gear stick knob and open up with a round file to get it over the larger OD stick thread. Just need a 'sling' walled lick nut now, or continue to file down an old seat belt nut.

Re-connected the overdrive wiring and wired in the twin USB socked where the overdrive switch used to be.

Cover back on.
            Attached Files

Comment

You have been busy.

Adrian

Originally posted by David View Post
              Finally! an update. Managed to get the Spitfire overdrive gearstick in place and re-bushed today. That means I have the wiring going through the hollow stick now, not squashed into the know and shorting out.

Bonus is that the clearance to the fuel line is now several inches, and the Spitfire stick is angled back more so shorty me will find it easier.

Had to drift out the reducer in the gear stick knob and open up with a round file to get it over the larger OD stick thread. Just need a 'sling' walled lick nut now, or continue to file down an old seat belt nut.

Re-connected the overdrive wiring and wired in the twin USB socked where the overdrive switch used to be.

Cover back on.

Comment

Don't you love auto correct;

"a 'sling' walled lick nut "

Was supposed to be;

"slim walled lock nut"

LOL

Comment

I speak like that all the time!! -- Think its an age thing ; - D)

Comment

David the lock nut is like a threaded collarC30623 that sits inside the gear knob not where the
                    drawing here shows it.
                    Also secure the cable to the gear lever below the exit hole to stop it chaffing.

Comment

Thanks Ben, I have ordered that lock nut assuming it was sown in the wrong place on the diagram!

Good idea to secure the cable, I'll do that, thanks.
                      David.

Comment

Todays work, apply new stickers for indicators and lights to the plastic steering column binnacle. fit the steering wheel using new screws and nylocks.

Test that the alternator is charging the battery as the ignition light is glowing, it is a good 14+ volts with full beam on. I suspect that's because it's been converted from dynamo but not an expert on that. Can I just ignore it?

I noticed the rocker cover/crankcase breather was flapping in the wind so repurposed a bracket I had from an old Vitesse I think with the bender so it's fixed to the manifold now as per production I think.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by David; 20-04-19, 05:52 PM.

Comment

copied from Marlin Enthusiasts on FB

The crankcase emission control valve on your engine has different cover design to normal Triumph but assuming it is working correctly, it is designed to provide a negative pressure in the crankcase. However your rocker cover filler cap is the earlier vented type so defeating any attempt to maintain a negative pressure in the crankcase. This may be adding to the oil burning but my guess is it would be the oil rings needing some exercise.

Also you have the binnacle switches and binnacles round the wrong way, the lights should be on the left so the dip symbol points down and not up.Indicators on the right side so down is right up is left.

I know too late now!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post
                            copied from Marlin Enthusiasts on FB

The crankcase emission control valve on your engine has different cover design to normal Triumph but assuming it is working correctly, it is designed to provide a negative pressure in the crankcase. However your rocker cover filler cap is the earlier vented type so defeating any attempt to maintain a negative pressure in the crankcase. This may be adding to the oil burning but my guess is it would be the oil rings needing some exercise.

Also you have the binnacle switches and binnacles round the wrong way, the lights should be on the left so the dip symbol points down and not up.Indicators on the right side so down is right up is left.

I know too late now!!!!
                            Thanks Ben.

I spotted fumes coming from the rocker cover cap so had thought as much and considered ditching the valve. Annoyingly I removed a good valve from my prior Marlin as I put the later carbs on that take crankcase fumes into the carb bodes, then gave it away with the car! So I guess I should get the correct rocker cover cap and renew the valve?

The car is built around a MK1 2ltr, so I'm guessing the rocker cover cap is correct, and the emission control valve shouldn't be there anyway? Although the cover does have the take off pipe. I'll dig around Rimmers site for some guidance.

I realised the binnacle was switched left for right but that's how the wiring is setup for it from what I can see, and yes had noticed the new symbols were fairly useless! I'll have another look though.

At the moment I'm just trying to get it drivable whilst building a list of things I may have to revisit!
                            Last edited by David; 20-04-19, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Hi David, My mistake your rocker filler cap is the correct one

so assuming the valve that also should be with the Mk1 2ltr. albeit slightly different design is working OK

The fumes are probably from a bit of piston blow by I think that engine was a bit tired when Doug and Liz had the car
                              don't think its had a rebuild recently.
                              Last edited by b_caswell; 21-04-19, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Thanks Ben. Yes it is s bit smoky, and knocking, so is in need of a re-build. Unfortunately whilst I have done a few rebuilds they are in the distant past and I no longer have the tools, time or funds to do it so I'll have to potter on slowly and hope it holds out!

I was wondering about updating to the later rocker cover cap and breather in the hope that would reduce fumes, what do you think about that idea?

Comment

Working...
                                X