Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Jrr 929 d

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
  1. #101 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member David's Avatar
    Thanks Liz, the bucket seats are still there, now covered with Derek’s padding and covers I think.
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, the Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph based Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Kit manufactured 1983, first registered in 1987. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne in the NE of England.

2. #102 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    Wheels

Wheels off ready to go to the refurbisher tomorrow for crack, hardness and roundness testing and if OK powder coating in satin black to match the pre-war Alfa’s black spoked wheels.

I remembered Derek's tip to block the lower rear suspension arms to prevent the drive shaft resting on the chassis rail. Thanks Derek.

What are peoples thoughts on Hammerite for the rear drums?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by David; 14-08-2019 at 03:55 PM.
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, the Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph based Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Kit manufactured 1983, first registered in 1987. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne in the NE of England.

3. #103 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    "What are peoples thoughts on Hammerite for the rear drums? "

Let's throw this back with another question...... you are going to all the effort to make the wheels look nice and period........ won't Hammerite look slightly out of place? I'm basing this on the traditional Hammerite that has that odd speckled look. Now if you can get a nice satin black Hammerite then its a case of go for it. Given that its brakes and they do tend to get hot, perhaps consider a heat resistant version? Just a thought.
    2000 Marlin Cabrio; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

4. #104 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    I like the idea of black satin wheels, was thinking of doing mine like that when I get around to refurbing them.
    1275 Marina/Ital based LWB Roadster in the process of a ground up rebuild.

5. #105 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    Good point, I’d forgotten you would see the drums through the wheels. I’ll aim for matching paint on them.

So where do i get satin black heat resistant ‘hammerite’?

Or maybe the people doing the wheels can powder coat the drums?

Update:VHT Black Caliper & Drum Paint Aerosol

Update 2: I have a tin of Satin Black Hammertie in my garage! I'll try that.
    Last edited by David; 15-08-2019 at 01:34 PM.

6. #106 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    Just get them powder coated with the wheels. Can't imagine that it will cost much more.

7. #107 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    Will powder coating survive the high temperature of brakes?

Will it affect the heat dissipation of the drums?
    Last edited by David; 16-08-2019 at 06:31 PM.

8. #108 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    Hi David
    The rear drums don't get that hot unless you over adjust them and then that will cause the wheel cylinders to leak. I painted mine in gloss black from Toolstation at the time it was paint made by Flag. No flaking or peeling evident so far

If you really want a heat proof paint then you could use a tin of matt black log stove enamel , Toolstation sell it in aerosols . No primer needed with that paint , just remove as much of the rust with rotary wire brushes used in corded drills. The drum can then be placed in the oven to cure the paint.

9. #109 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    Hi David
    I'm curious why you should want to paint the rear drums black when the front discs are shiny.
    Also the original cushions went with the car when it left North Wales. I have no info where they went afterwards ( or what was done to the car)
    Last edited by djj_engineer; 17-08-2019 at 03:37 PM.

10. #110 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    Hi Derek,

Only because they are rusting, visible through they wheels and a wire brush didn’t easily get them shiny again. I’ve done them in satin black hammerite which I had in the garage.

The seat cushions are covered in some black leather covers from another vehicle and are fine for now. Maybe the foam cushions are the originals, no easy way to tell! Paul M does recall them being fabric covered though.
    Attached Images