Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jrr 929 d

Originally posted by David View Post
    Properly fitted the oil pressure gauge in the hole where the dead clock was today. Clock safely stored away. Been distracted with life for a few weeks...
    Definitely liking the old school vibe this is rocking. Making me reconsider my thoughts on burr walnut for mine..........
    Last edited by wiggiesworld; 21-07-19, 02:43 PM.
    2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

Originally posted by milliemarlin View Post
      Surely some mistake; working on JRR 292D is life. Everything else is a distraction.
      Paul
      I wish, but have to generate cash to do the work!
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Originally posted by wiggiesworld View Post
        Definitely liking the old school vibe this is rocking. Making me reconsider my thoughts on burr walnut for mine..........
        Thanks, I like the style as well, so much so that I’ve just ordered a satin grey spoked and dark wood rim dished steering wheel to replace the Moto-Lita aluminium and light colored wood on there as there’s no other light wood on the car.

Will give me more ‘finger’ room behind the wheel if it’s dished and match the refurbed wheels which I’m also getting done grey rather than silver. Will be more in keeping with the pre-war Alfas... also need to start work on the frame for the aero screens soon.

Update: Steering wheel trial fitted.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by David; 17-08-19, 06:06 PM.
        - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
        - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
        - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Aero Screens

Right, do I go round topped or squared off aero screens for JRR?

I’m thinking of bending up a frame that mounts on the existing windscreen holes and follows the scuttle, the same way the Caterhams do it. Then mounting the screens to that rather than making more holes in the scuttle.

Liz, what’s your preference :-)

David.
          Attached Files

Comment

Like the Alfa recreation but Curved top. That one seems to use chopped off screen pillars.

Comment

Personally I think it has to be the curved ones all day long.... in my eye they are more period correct. The following link will show why I think the rectangular ones may not look right, as ever only an opinion......

Find your dream classic car from over 10,000 private adverts plus many more trade adverts on Europe's No 1 classic cars site. 100% F...
              2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

Comment

I agree, curved.

Adrian

Comment

Curved it is then!

Comment

Seats

I'm going to re-trim JRR's seats, does anyone remember if they were leather, vinyl or cotton for example originally? Any photos from the 70's that may give me clue as to the pattern and materials? This is how it currently looks.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Re: Jrr 929 d

aul made bucket seats with removable cushions so they could be taken out and not get wet. Derek fitted the seats which are in now. Liz

Comment

Thanks Liz, the bucket seats are still there, now covered with Derek’s padding and covers I think.

Comment

Wheels

Wheels off ready to go to the refurbisher tomorrow for crack, hardness and roundness testing and if OK powder coating in satin black to match the pre-war Alfa’s black spoked wheels.

I remembered Derek's tip to block the lower rear suspension arms to prevent the drive shaft resting on the chassis rail. Thanks Derek.

What are peoples thoughts on Hammerite for the rear drums?
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by David; 14-08-19, 03:55 PM.

Comment

"What are peoples thoughts on Hammerite for the rear drums? "

Let's throw this back with another question...... you are going to all the effort to make the wheels look nice and period........ won't Hammerite look slightly out of place? I'm basing this on the traditional Hammerite that has that odd speckled look. Now if you can get a nice satin black Hammerite then its a case of go for it. Given that its brakes and they do tend to get hot, perhaps consider a heat resistant version? Just a thought.

Comment

I like the idea of black satin wheels, was thinking of doing mine like that when I get around to refurbing them.

Comment

Good point, I’d forgotten you would see the drums through the wheels. I’ll aim for matching paint on them.

So where do i get satin black heat resistant ‘hammerite’?

Or maybe the people doing the wheels can powder coat the drums?

Update:VHT Black Caliper & Drum Paint Aerosol

Update 2: I have a tin of Satin Black Hammertie in my garage! I'll try that.
                                Last edited by David; 15-08-19, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X