Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Jrr 929 d

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
  1. #71 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member David's Avatar
    Yes I've got an unused new one of those already.

More pics, doesn't look like there's one on the back of the speedo, or close by the other gauges. But that ally sheet panel does look like it'll hinge down so I will try that and see what else is there.

I'll email Derek as well, unless you're watching this Derek? Do you recall a voltage stabiliser for the Smiths gauges?

Do we need one if we're running an alternator, I would assume so?
    Attached Images
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, the Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph based Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Kit manufactured 1983, first registered in 1987. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne in the NE of England.

2. #72 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    It seems we don't need a voltage stabiliser for the electric oil pressure gauge, sort of worked it out from the wiring diagram and confirmed in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH2L5bb_JA8

Video via Holden Vintage & Classic.

https://www.holden.co.uk
    Last edited by David; 19-05-2019 at 09:17 PM.
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, the Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph based Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Kit manufactured 1983, first registered in 1987. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne in the NE of England.

3. #73 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    Rubber mats.

Some of you will have seen me walking around at Stoneleigh with a roll of rubber matting. This is because JRR had two types of mats and none for the drivers side footwell.

I had to make a cardboard template for the drivers footwell, and just used the old mats for the other.

Looks OK, some minor fettling to do.
    Attached Images

4. #74 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member listerjp2's Avatar
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Rubber mats.

Some of you will have seen me walking around at Stoneleigh with a roll of rubber matting. This is because JRR had two types of mats and none for the drivers side footwell.

I had to make a cardboard template for the drivers footwell, and just used the old mats for the other.

Looks OK, some minor fettling to do.

5. #75 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    Engine compression tests, on JRR's Triumph 6.

Using my screw in compression gauge, of some vintage but in good order, although I've no idea how accurate it is. But I suppose it's the difference in each cylinder that is telling.

Cylinder Number / Cold compression psi / hot compression psi
    1 / 145 / 120
    2 / 155 / 150
    3 / 150 / 140
    4 / 150 / 125
    5 / 165 / 135
    6 / 165 / 140

Given the spec is 143 then it's looking a bit sick. Number 1 is looking vary dodgy, odd that 5 and 6 are 165. I think Liz said it had head work a while back, I may check what the bolts are torqued down to, especially on the front.

My last car Q733 was a healthy 150 across all 6 when cold, so probably around 140 hot.

The plugs (NGK BP5E S) were all very oiled up and the gap was around .032/0.8mm so I've reset them to spec at .025/0.64mm

After running it up to hot and a period of higher rev running the plugs are looking better already and it's smoking less, but still a hefty puff of blue when blipping the throttle.

Next job get the oil pressure gauge on to see what sort of oil pressure there is.
    Last edited by David; 27-05-2019 at 05:24 PM.

6. #76 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Doug worked on the head but it was over 20 yrs ago!

7. #77 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    Quote Originally Posted by lizbillings View Post
    Doug worked on the head but it was over 20 yrs ago!
    Ah, 20 years is a long time for nature to intervene and break stuff, it's probably just worn out bores and pistons!

8. #78 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Have you tried some oil down the bores during the test to indicate whether it's rings or valves at fault?

9. #79 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    Quote Originally Posted by copperleaves11 View Post
    Have you tried some oil down the bores during the test to indicate whether it's rings or valves at fault?
    Not yet, but it's on the list. Thanks for the tip, more welcome!

10. #80 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    Oil Pressure Gauge

Got the sender fitted with a tee piece so I can still use the oil warning light switch.

Gauge is fitted but not in the clock position at the moment as I can't get that out easily. I've mounted it in the glovebox area using a screw already there until next weekend when I'll have another go at getting the clock out.

Turns out the wiring that was there was a live feed, so not good for the sender to gauge so I had to run another wire.

Spec for this engine is 40-60psi and it's showing as per the gauge so oil pressure looks OK, which is a nice surprise. It will drop off when the engine warms up so will do that later to see what it runs at.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by David; 01-06-2019 at 06:13 PM.