Jrr 929 d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jrr 929 d

Alfa GTV, abeautiful car, but, not noted for reiability. Are you waiting for the body to drop off to use the engine in a Marlin?

Comment

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
      Alfa GTV, abeautiful car, but, not noted for reiability. Are you waiting for the body to drop off to use the engine in a Marlin?
      It's a 916 GTV and prior owners have looked after it so it's in good nick and hasn't let me down in the 18 months I've had it!

Pics here: https://davidbanes.com/search/GTV
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Gorgeous car, a long way from being a donor. Jealous!

Comment

Luuuuve the Unipower GT
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post
            Luuuuve the Unipower GT
            I stuck a note on in inviting the owner to come to Kop Hill Climb in September and he's already booked in so really looking forward to that going off the line at speed.
            - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
            - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
            - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

I'm going to fit an oil pressure gauge to try and get some idea of the current state of the engine. Probably in the centre of the dashboard replacing the clock, which appears to be broken. I have one the the Smiths spec electrical gauges and have confirmed the wire labelled 'oil pressure' behind the dash is the same wire tied off next to the oil pressure switch (thanks Derek, for planning ahead!). I know these gauges need regulators so have been poking around behind the dash with my phone camera which has yielded the following photo.

Does anyone recognise this, is it a voltage regulator, doesn't look like the standard two pole, four terminal variant but maybe someone can ID it for me. If it is and I can suss out that there are only the temp and fuel gauges and clock using it then I don't need to fit another.

Thanks,
              David.
              Attached Files

Comment

Its a relay which I suspect is for the overdrive.

The original gauges would normally be fed from a voltage stabilizer that would be mounted on the back of the speedo.

that was supposed to be pic
                Last edited by b_caswell; 19-05-19, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Thanks Ben, I'll try and get some pics of the back of the speedo, without siding my hands up too much!

Just noticed that panel it's bolted to has a hinge, I wonder if I can get at it from the foot well.

Comment

there you go

Comment

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post
                      there you go
                      If you google that part number it comes up with an ebay link below. Its a voltage stabiliser for Smiths gauges! Peter.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smiths-ga...-/302219968352

Comment

Yes I've got an unused new one of those already.

More pics, doesn't look like there's one on the back of the speedo, or close by the other gauges. But that ally sheet panel does look like it'll hinge down so I will try that and see what else is there.

I'll email Derek as well, unless you're watching this Derek? Do you recall a voltage stabiliser for the Smiths gauges?

Do we need one if we're running an alternator, I would assume so?
                        Attached Files

Comment

It seems we don't need a voltage stabiliser for the electric oil pressure gauge, sort of worked it out from the wiring diagram and confirmed in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH2L5bb_JA8

Video via Holden Vintage & Classic.

https://www.holden.co.uk
                          Last edited by David; 19-05-19, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Rubber mats.

Some of you will have seen me walking around at Stoneleigh with a roll of rubber matting. This is because JRR had two types of mats and none for the drivers side footwell.

I had to make a cardboard template for the drivers footwell, and just used the old mats for the other.

Looks OK, some minor fettling to do.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Lol

Originally posted by David View Post
                              Rubber mats.

Some of you will have seen me walking around at Stoneleigh with a roll of rubber matting. This is because JRR had two types of mats and none for the drivers side footwell.

I had to make a cardboard template for the drivers footwell, and just used the old mats for the other.

Looks OK, some minor fettling to do.

Comment

Engine compression tests, on JRR's Triumph 6.

Using my screw in compression gauge, of some vintage but in good order, although I've no idea how accurate it is. But I suppose it's the difference in each cylinder that is telling.

Cylinder Number / Cold compression psi / hot compression psi
                                1 / 145 / 120
                                2 / 155 / 150
                                3 / 150 / 140
                                4 / 150 / 125
                                5 / 165 / 135
                                6 / 165 / 140

Given the spec is 143 then it's looking a bit sick. Number 1 is looking vary dodgy, odd that 5 and 6 are 165. I think Liz said it had head work a while back, I may check what the bolts are torqued down to, especially on the front.

My last car Q733 was a healthy 150 across all 6 when cold, so probably around 140 hot.

The plugs (NGK BP5E S) were all very oiled up and the gap was around .032/0.8mm so I've reset them to spec at .025/0.64mm

After running it up to hot and a period of higher rev running the plugs are looking better already and it's smoking less, but still a hefty puff of blue when blipping the throttle.

Next job get the oil pressure gauge on to see what sort of oil pressure there is.
                                Last edited by David; 27-05-19, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X