Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jrr 929 d

Originally posted by David View Post
    Thanks Ben. Yes it is s bit smoky, and knocking, so is in need of a re-build. Unfortunately whilst I have done a few rebuilds they are in the distant past and I no longer have the tools, time or funds to do it so I'll have to potter on slowly and hope it holds out!

I was wondering about updating to the later rocker cover cap and breather in the hope that would reduce fumes, what do you think about that idea?
    Dont think it will make much difference just make sure the diaphram isnt split.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Another job ticked off. Windscreen.

I've been concerned that the screen moves around in the frame and wasn't 'edged' on the bottom, which it appears to have been in the past.

So I managed to unscrew the front mounts and tilt it back enough to get a a piece of 8x8x8 1mm think aluminium channel on the bottom. Just cut and bent to shape wrapped it some black insulation tape purely for cosmetic reasons and then and a squirt of Sikaflex EBT in it before pushing onto the bottom of the screen. While I was there filling the line of rivnut holes! Then gouged out as much of the hardened crumbly frame seal as possible before more Slikaflex to hold it in.

Now I just have to wait threee months to get the damn stuff of my fingers!
      Attached Files
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

This evening I finished off the wiring and fitting of the Spitfire overdrive gearstick and replaced the passenger heater switch which was failing intermittently. Left of the three in this photo. Super fast deliver from Holden Vintage & Classic.

No idea if the overdrive works yet!
        Attached Files
        - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
        - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
        - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

The valve seats were re-cut and valves re-faced in 1992. Don't think its had any other engine work since.
          Are you coming to Stoneleigh in it?
          regards
          Liz

Comment

Originally posted by lizbillings View Post
            The valve seats were re-cut and valves re-faced in 1992. Don't think its had any other engine work since.
            Are you coming to Stoneleigh in it?
            regards
            Liz
            So valve seats are probably OK given the low mileage, so could well be oil control rings or just simply worn out! If the gods are with me maybe a long run will reseat the control rings and the smoke will go away.... no chance

Yes I'm hoping to go to Stoneleigh in it but have yet to drive the thing! I still need to:

- Renew clutch and brake fluid as both look like a cloudy beer!
            - Fit the newer type rocker cap and breather, decided to do that so I don't get fumes exiting the rocker cover and into the cabin
            - Repair an offside rear slow puncture, or swap it with the spare for now
            - Check brake shoes and pads are good and brakes are OK
            - Grease suspension joints and check oil levels
            - Other little bits and pieces...

The tyres are 15 years old so need to replace them but they look OK and don't feel too hard so should be OK for a slow run to Stoneleigh.

Hopefully I'll get up there mid morning Sunday.

Anyone going up from High Wycome area on Sunday? Adrian, I think you are going Saturday?

David.

Comment

Hi David

Yes I'm going on Saturday.

Adrian

Originally posted by David View Post
              So valve seats are probably OK given the low mileage, so could well be oil control rings or just simply worn out! If the gods are with me maybe a long run will reseat the control rings and the smoke will go away.... no chance

Yes I'm hoping to go to Stoneleigh in it but have yet to drive the thing! I still need to:

- Renew clutch and brake fluid as both look like a cloudy beer!
              - Fit the newer type rocker cap and breather, decided to do that so I don't get fumes exiting the rocker cover and into the cabin
              - Repair an offside rear slow puncture, or swap it with the spare for now
              - Check brake shoes and pads are good and brakes are OK
              - Grease suspension joints and check oil levels
              - Other little bits and pieces...

The tyres are 15 years old so need to replace them but they look OK and don't feel too hard so should be OK for a slow run to Stoneleigh.

Hopefully I'll get up there mid morning Sunday.

Anyone going up from High Wycome area on Sunday? Adrian, I think you are going Saturday?

David.

Comment

Rocker cover gasket, cap, breather and pipes. Clutch fluid replacement.

Photo shows the old gasket on the cover, very squished and oily but came off easily. Put a proper fibre washer on the breather outlet pipe manifold end as there wasn't one!

Drove it up and down the drive, forwards and backwards. Gear selection is 100% better in 1-4th but reverse still sticks in sometimes and on a speedier reverse I heard a horrid whiring slipping sound, but it didn't sound like the clutch and it (the clutch) stalls the engine OK trying to pull off with the brakes applied so I'm wondering if there's a link between it refusing to come out of reverse and that noise, perhaps shaft/bearing has failed on reverse.

Any ideas Triumph based owners?

Was going to do tappets but, well I ran out of steam.

I did to a spanner check on as many things as I could see and found half a dozen bolts/nuts and rivnuts that needed attention so will do that a few more times over the next week.
                Attached Files

Comment

Oh, slightly amusing, I think I put the steering wheel on one fitting off dead centre, I'll fix that later in the year!

Comment

Quote "Drove it up and down the drive, forwards and backwards. Gear selection is 100% better in 1-4th but reverse still sticks in sometimes and on a speedier reverse I heard a horrid whiring slipping sound, but it didn't sound like the clutch and it (the clutch) stalls the engine OK trying to pull off with the brakes applied so I'm wondering if there's a link between it refusing to come out of reverse and that noise, perhaps shaft/bearing has failed on reverse. "

If switching off the engine first allows you to then get out of reverse easier it could be
                    clutch drag caused by various other reasons. IF this is the case then I will explain later.

I hope the overdrive is disengaging as reversing with it stuck in overdrive will destroy the cyclic gears in the OD.
                    But the gear noise is probably the straight cut reverse gears and idler.

Comment

Thanks Ben, if I pump the clutch pedal that releases it so your clutch drag suggestion could be the issue. That doesn't bode well for the Stoneleigh trip!

My 1600 Vitesse used to whine in reverse, but that wasn't the sound I heard today.

Comment

It has stood for most of the last 15 years so probably needs a good run. Hope to see you there and we can fill you in with some of its history.
                        Liz

Comment

Originally posted by lizbillings View Post
                          It has stood for most of the last 15 years so probably needs a good run. Hope to see you there and we can fill you in with some of its history.
                          Liz
                          Yes I keep thinking that it needs a run out to shake it down.

I'll do a few local short trips this coming week. If I'm not confident I'll get it trailered up on the Saturday and picked up on the Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning, as long as that cost isn't prohibitive!

Either way the car and I will be there Sunday at least.

David.

Comment

Don't you have AA relay? You get it there they fetch it back and it saves petrol! Seriously, when you need confidence in a vehicle knowing 'Relay' is there is a big help. It has been known (by me) that a patrolman (never met a female) has sorted a problem I had been puzzling over for weeks.

Comment

Try bleeding the clutch but make sure the slave cylinder is fitted with the bleed nipple upper-most or you
                              will never get all the air out.

Comment

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post
                                Try bleeding the clutch but make sure the slave cylinder is fitted with the bleed nipple upper-most or you
                                will never get all the air out.
                                Done that, yes bleed nipple is on top, remembered that from the old days! Clutch pedal feel was poor but good and strong now.

Will take it around the block tomorrow, my main worry is clutch is slipping and I won't be able to get back up the hill to my place!

HairyDave: Good point, yes I have AA membership, my other car is an Alfa GTV V6

Comment

Working...
                                X