Jrr 929 d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jrr 929 d

Have you noticed the car has TWO heaters and an interior light. I suggest you RING ME!!

Comment

Originally posted by djj_engineer View Post
      Have you noticed the car has TWO heaters and an interior light. I suggest you RING ME!!
      Hi Derek, yes I will call with my list of questions soon, don't want to keep pestering you though

It was late when I posted that question, I'd just finished renewing the fuel pump mounts (one had split in two, a pain to do as a rivnut was spinning in its hole) and taken another look at those switches so blindly posted without considering you'd of course know.

Will call you today (Sunday).

Cheers,
      David.
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Update - Indicators

I managed to find out with Paul (Moorehouse) help that they are Rubbolite No. 32 marked as 6200 (used old Foden commercials) and I found some on eBay so have bought a couple. I don't think we'll be needing the lenses but it's handy to have two rubber bases as the current items are cracking and going hard. Pics here. The dodgy indicator was just a badly connected bulb. All fixed now.

IMG_0177.jpg
        IMG_2452.jpg
        IMG_2453.jpg
        IMG_2454.jpg
        IMG_2482.jpg
        - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
        - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
        - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Update - Fuel pump mounts

One of the rubber cotton reel mounts had split in two. I found some Facet replacements so swapped out both while I was at it. The old ones are hexagonal plates attached to rubber which is great as you can get a spanner on them to get them off. The new ones will be harder to remove as they are round plates. As is often the case, the new stuff isn't as good as the old stuff. The mounts are attached with the threaded end going into a Rivnut and one of them decided to spin on me making the task harder than it needed to be.

I had to remove the 'glovebox' floor first which was a doddle, good piece of work that whoever made it.

IMG_2479.jpg
          IMG_2478.jpg
          IMG_2460.jpg
          IMG_2463.jpg
          IMG_2471.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by djj_engineer View Post
            Not called Derek yet as got a few things to put on the list this evening.

Did get the switches sorted out though. In the photo above, below the speedo they are, from the left;

- Passenger heater/fan
            - Driver side heater/fan
            - Interior light

The chrome switch on the right of the dash is for the cooling electric fan.

The fuse had blown on that heaters/wipers/washer circuit. I suspect because the electric fan live feed has been taken off the same circuit and I'm guessing adding the amperage up of all that is more than 20. The wiring diagram shows 10amp there anyway, so not sure why there's a 20 in there, I hope not just because someone thought they'd fix a blowing fuse by upping the rating!

I think the heater fans will be around 3-4amp, the wiper motor 1-2amp, probably a lot more (up to 10amp?) when it's 'stuck with ice' trying to move and then the electric fan switch will be drawing some although I see there's a relay there to kick in the high current feed so not too much. I've popped a 20amp back in, if it fails again I will have to get the meter out and read off the draw from each device then rethink. Maybe I need to fresh live feed independently fused for the electric fan/switch.
            Last edited by David; 04-11-18, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Quick update from the weekend.

Whilst taking the transmission cover off to a) replace the remote gear changer bushing, and b) fit a USB power supply, I noticed the fuel pipe is fouling the gear change when reverse is selected.

You can just see the scuff marks on the close up. Scary! I'm going to have to remove the tunnel rear top, and side panels as well to re-run the fuel line down the left side of the tunnel as the pump and pressure regulator is on that side of the engine. That'll avoid having to cross over the prop shaft and will get the pipe away from the gear change mechanism.

IMG_2506.jpgIMG_2503.jpg

Fitted a double USB adapter. This one has a waterproof cap and comes with a long fused lead and plugged fittings ready to pop onto the battery or a power feed.

IMG_2508.jpgIMG_2509.jpg

Finally, sourced a Moto-lita plastic steering wheel cap and Triumph logo (I know) to pop in to give some clue to people what the car is based on. Also polished up the alloy spokes.

IMG_2507.jpg

This all started as a 'quick' job to re-bush the remote changer.

Comment

Be careful, or you'll be back to a bare chassis in no time !!!
                Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
                Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Comment

Originally posted by 928cdu View Post
                  Be careful, or you'll be back to a bare chassis in no time !!!
                  That’s what I’m trying to avoid!

Comment

Slow progress, gear knob off today and discovered why the fuse is blowing, the wiring has worn through the insulation and is shorting out on the gearstick. See photo of underside of gear knob.

I may revert to a dash mounted switch, unless someone can tell me that the Spitfire overdrive gearstick will swap with this Vitesse one as the Spit stick is drilled for the wires I believe. But then I think I recall back in the day that these used to wear through the insulation and short out as well.

There's no room between the steering wheel and dash for the usual column mounted overdrive switch.

I think Derek said it used to be on the dashboard as a toggle switch?

Any ideas from overdrive enabled Roadsters, what have you all done?

IMG_2531.jpg
                    Last edited by David; 08-12-18, 05:58 PM.

Comment

I may revert to a dash mounted switch, unless someone can tell me that the Spitfire overdrive gearstick will swap with this Vitesse one as the Spit stick is drilled for the wires I believe. But then I think I recall back in the day that these used to wear through the insulation and short out as well.

Unless you can find a spitfire/GT6 gear stick from an early 3 rail box!! the later single rail gear lever is different.
                      You could try using some shrink wrap over the existing cables they also wear on the entry hole into the stick as well.
                      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks Ben.

Comment

Triumph Dolomite 1850 also had a gear stick mounted overdrive (had one when I was younger though the engine was replaced by a TR7 one, a bit nippier). Just in case you are looking for alternate sources.
                          2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

We had a smaller steering wheel and the overdrive switch was mounted next to the gear lever on the transmission tunnel.

Comment

Originally posted by wiggiesworld View Post
                              Triumph Dolomite 1850 also had a gear stick mounted overdrive (had one when I was younger though the engine was replaced by a TR7 one, a bit nippier). Just in case you are looking for alternate sources.
                              Originally posted by lizbillings View Post
                              We had a smaller steering wheel and the overdrive switch was mounted next to the gear lever on the transmission tunnel.
                              Thanks both.

I wondered if that cigar lighter that I have just replaced with a USB power source (see above) was an overdrive switch location originally. Maybe I should put it back there and find somewhere else for the USB power supply.

Do you, or anyone else here, have a photo showing that original switch? Was it a standard toggle switch?

Thanks,

David.

Comment

The only "cockpit" shot in the archive is this, which I have cropped from one of Derek's when JRR was on the trailer prior to the start of the rebuild
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X