Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Jrr 929 d

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
  1. #31 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    I think its been altered since 2004. I don't think we have any interior pictures.

2. #32 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member David's Avatar
    s-l1600-18.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by b_caswell View Post
    I may revert to a dash mounted switch, unless someone can tell me that the Spitfire overdrive gearstick will swap with this Vitesse one as the Spit stick is drilled for the wires I believe. But then I think I recall back in the day that these used to wear through the insulation and short out as well.

Unless you can find a spitfire/GT6 gear stick from an early 3 rail box!! the later single rail gear lever is different.
    You could try using some shrink wrap over the existing cables they also wear on the entry hole into the stick as well.
    Is this, on eBay, the correct stick Ben?
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, the Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph based Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Kit manufactured 1983, first registered in 1987. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne in the NE of England.

3. #33 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member b_caswell's Avatar
    Sorry missed that first time round yes thats for a three rail box needs the ball changing.
    You need the knob that takes the switch and there should be a threaded collar that holds the knob on.

The collar C30623 actually goes inside the knob not as shown in drawing.
    Last edited by b_caswell; 21-12-2018 at 01:52 PM.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

4. #34 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    Thanks Ben, I've bought the stick, and Rimmers have the collar and associated bits.
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, the Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph based Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Kit manufactured 1983, first registered in 1987. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne in the NE of England.

5. #35 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    Finally! an update. Managed to get the Spitfire overdrive gearstick in place and re-bushed today. That means I have the wiring going through the hollow stick now, not squashed into the know and shorting out.

Bonus is that the clearance to the fuel line is now several inches, and the Spitfire stick is angled back more so shorty me will find it easier.

Had to drift out the reducer in the gear stick knob and open up with a round file to get it over the larger OD stick thread. Just need a 'sling' walled lick nut now, or continue to file down an old seat belt nut.

Re-connected the overdrive wiring and wired in the twin USB socked where the overdrive switch used to be.

Cover back on.
    Attached Images

6. #36 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member listerjp2's Avatar
    You have been busy.

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Finally! an update. Managed to get the Spitfire overdrive gearstick in place and re-bushed today. That means I have the wiring going through the hollow stick now, not squashed into the know and shorting out.

Bonus is that the clearance to the fuel line is now several inches, and the Spitfire stick is angled back more so shorty me will find it easier.

Had to drift out the reducer in the gear stick knob and open up with a round file to get it over the larger OD stick thread. Just need a 'sling' walled lick nut now, or continue to file down an old seat belt nut.

Re-connected the overdrive wiring and wired in the twin USB socked where the overdrive switch used to be.

Cover back on.

7. #37 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    Don't you love auto correct;

"a 'sling' walled lick nut "

Was supposed to be;

"slim walled lock nut"

LOL

8. #38 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member Tony Stott's Avatar
    I speak like that all the time!! -- Think its an age thing ; - D)

9. #39 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member b_caswell's Avatar

David the lock nut is like a threaded collarC30623 that sits inside the gear knob not where the
    drawing here shows it.
    Also secure the cable to the gear lever below the exit hole to stop it chaffing.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

10. #40 Re: Jrr 929 d 
    Thanks Ben, I have ordered that lock nut assuming it was sown in the wrong place on the diagram!

Good idea to secure the cable, I'll do that, thanks.
    David.