Gearbox wanted to pair up with 1.8 B Series Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox wanted to pair up with 1.8 B Series Engine

I'm looking for a gearbox for my 1983 built Roadster,would be willing to pay for shipping or if close enough collect,please P.M. me if you got one to spare and how much,cheers.Graham..

Re: Gearbox wanted to pair up with 1.8 B Series Engine

I was looking for a spare gearbox for the 1.3 and they do pop up on eBay for some good prices but collection only which for me is difficult as I am in Cornwall. I have seen them on eBay from your neck of the woods so I would set a notification on eBay to inform you when they are for sale.
    If you need it to replace your tired gearbox I would think about stripping yours and replace bearings, gaskets and seals. They are fairly simple to strip and only really need basic tools.
    Cheers, Martin.

Comment

Cheers for the reply mate,I do check the Net and E-Bay every evening,love surfin.I want a spare and something to put on my bench to operate on !.Cheers

Comment

Good luck, they are quite simple gearboxes to work on. I stripped and rebuilt mine a few times now, it had a noise in first gear which turned out to be the reverse idler and selector fork. Only problem with finding a problem is to strip and rebuild then try. The last time I stripped and rebuilt it I think it took about 2 hours. Bear in mind you will need a spare shorter layshaft that will allow you to set the needle bearings in place and drop the lay gears in the bottom of the casing while you rebuild the rest, you then raise the lay gear in position and push your layshaft through, this pushes the shortened one out. A set of bearing pullers and basic tools are really all you need, and a Haynes manual, this describes a rebuild really well. Good luck.

Comment

Graham,
          I have a box that came out of a swb roadster about 8 years ago.
          Hasn't been used since.
          It was mated to a 1.8 B-series and was working fine then (I swapped it for one with an overdrive unit).
          You're welcome to it for a small consideration.

Jim

Comment

The Reverse Idler is probably the weakest link in the gearbox, almost everything about reverse gear, the selector, dogs and the pivot pin need checking thoroughly.
            I have come accross three different idlers, so you really need to check before you buy replacement parts.
            It always surprises me that engines have their number attached to them, but rarely gearboxes rarely do. I can’t see the logic in that.
            MOC member since 05/97
            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by meverett View Post
              Good luck, they are quite simple gearboxes to work on. I stripped and rebuilt mine a few times now, it had a noise in first gear which turned out to be the reverse idler and selector fork. Only problem with finding a problem is to strip and rebuild then try. The last time I stripped and rebuilt it I think it took about 2 hours. Bear in mind you will need a spare shorter layshaft that will allow you to set the needle bearings in place and drop the lay gears in the bottom of the casing while you rebuild the rest, you then raise the lay gear in position and push your layshaft through, this pushes the shortened one out. A set of bearing pullers and basic tools are really all you need, and a Haynes manual, this describes a rebuild really well. Good luck.
              Cheers for the reply,regards

Comment

Thank's for the input, appreciate it.regrads
                Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                The Reverse Idler is probably the weakest link in the gearbox, almost everything about reverse gear, the selector, dogs and the pivot pin need checking thoroughly.
                I have come accross three different idlers, so you really need to check before you buy replacement parts.
                It always surprises me that engines have their number attached to them, but rarely gearboxes rarely do. I can’t see the logic in that.

Comment

Replied to your mail Jim a couple of days ago and sent you a P.M. Where have you disappeared to ??????

Originally posted by jimfer01 View Post
                  Graham,
                  I have a box that came out of a swb roadster about 8 years ago.
                  Hasn't been used since.
                  It was mated to a 1.8 B-series and was working fine then (I swapped it for one with an overdrive unit).
                  You're welcome to it for a small consideration.

Jim

Comment

Hi Graham, this gearbox is for sale on eBay and after contacting the seller and asking the question on here I think it is for the 1.8.
                    If it was for the 1.3 I would be bidding myself.

Cheers, Martin.

Comment

Originally posted by meverett View Post
                      Hi Graham, this gearbox is for sale on eBay and after contacting the seller and asking the question on here I think it is for the 1.8.
                      If it was for the 1.3 I would be bidding myself.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F323034794186

Cheers, Martin.
                      Thank's for that Martin I will check it out,regards.Graham.

Comment

I’ve got an o/d MGB gearbox which I took out of my Roadster. It’s on eBay for £95 if you’re interested.
                        Chris

Comment

Originally posted by buzzard View Post
                          I’ve got an o/d MGB gearbox which I took out of my Roadster. It’s on eBay for £95 if you’re interested.
                          Chris
                          With all the work required to attach an MGB box to a Marina engine, backplate, flywheel, clutch, starter motor etc, not to mention transmission tunnel modifications. It’s probably best to buy swap the whole MGB engine and gearbox in one go.
                          MOC member since 05/97
                          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzard View Post
                            Chris
                            thank's for the message but I will wait for a Marina one.cheers anyway

Comment

There is a Marina 1300 gearbox in Shanklin IOW on ebay. I clicked on mevretts quote to see the one that was sold and this is at the bottom of the page. He is going to Bristol next week.

Comment

Working...
                              X