Berlinetta drivers door hinges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berlinetta drivers door hinges

Can any one give advise on how (if there is any)to adjust door lower hinge.
    Drivers door has developed a noticable drop at outside handle when closing.
    Enough to slam shut on door striker body curve taking paint off.
    I have limited tools to do too much, but wondered if it might be a simple adjustment?..
    Thanks.

Re: Berlinetta drivers door hinges

Hi Fred, The Berly hinges are fixed to the front post each with one single nut. You could try lossening these and packing the door up at the bottom edge and re tighten. Do you have a copy of the build manual?
    Danny.

Comment

Hi Fred. There is a common problem with the Berlinetta door hinges. The pins seize in the hinge which then breaks the weld allowing the pin to move and wear the hole, and so the door drops. The stuck pins can also result in cracked doors due to excessive force on the mounts. My guess is that you have one or both of these problems. If you have a look at my build diary "Berlinetta build and restoration" ( on the last page of the build diary section) on page 20 halfway down you will see how I dealt with the stuck pins.

Comment

I may have a spare drivers door going soon if all else fails and yours isn't fixable.

Comment

Hi Fred, Cameron is describing an extreme case, which is the cause of owner neglect (not greasing the hinges on a regular basis) and the repair will be major. However I have seen a door dropped down because of one of the nuts going loose. They were not self locking just plain nuts. Check at the post and inside the leading edge of the door and make sure one or both have not come loose, unless of course you see a split on the leading edge of the door!! Fingers crossed for you.
          Danny.

Comment

You could try this guy if all else fails.

Ebay Item number 112594367802

Originally posted by AdminUser View Post
            I may have a spare drivers door going soon if all else fails and yours isn't fixable.

Comment

Thanks Danny, Will attenpt to get car out of garage when weather breaks soon I hope and try nuts first. Thanks.

Comment

Big thank you to all, Await weather brakes to get car out, as garage too narrow to open door wide. Ideas very helpful and possible door !.

Comment

Originally posted by danny_nelson View Post
                  Hi Fred, The Berly hinges are fixed to the front post each with one single nut. You could try lossening these and packing the door up at the bottom edge and re tighten. Do you have a copy of the build manual?
                  Danny.
                  Hi Danny,
                  You were right. Bolts loose. Difficault to find as berried behind padded carpet. Thanks again.Fred

Comment

Good catch Danny!

Comment

You win some!!

Comment

Working...
                      X