Top suspension arm ,bearing removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top suspension arm ,bearing removal

Somebody must know ,how do you get the old bearing out of the top (mini) suspension arm?

Re: Top suspension arm ,bearing removal

Get a washer larger than the hole in the bearing.

File 2 opposite flats like for a open end spanner, so that the washer just fits through the needle bearing.

Insert it into the arm through one bearing, tilt and rest it against the opposite bearing from the inside, clamp it in a vice. Insert the old shaft or a suitable drift through the bearing and rest it against the washer. Hit the drift with a big hammer.

Alternatively find a bearing extraction tool on eBay and use that.

Comment

What a brilliant idea! Cheers for that Chris.

Comment

When reassembling, check the front to back free play.
        i wrote an article in Pitstop, I had enough fore and aft free play to cause an alarming MOT failing amount of clunking, even when using ‘new’ parts. I ended up machining my own.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Steve.
          Chris, great idea, but I made the washer just a tad too small so when I hit it, it knocked the rollers out and left the sleeve. That was a pig to get out. A fine chisel got in and collapsed it. A bigger washer exactly the diameter of the bore worked a treat on the other bearing.

Comment

Working...
          X