Clear All

• new retro-fit suspension system Marlin 5EXI

Delivery from Marlin Sportscars

new bushes Powerflex black serie

Re: new retro-fit suspension system Marlin 5EXI

Hello Cees, have PM'd you.

Comment

Looks awesome ! On a bit of a tangent has anyone put Locost type wishbones and coil-overs under the front of a Roadster?

Comment

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
        Looks awesome ! On a bit of a tangent has anyone put Locost type wishbones and coil-overs under the front of a Roadster?
        Coil overs have been fitted in place of the front shock. I personally don’t like the idea for two reasons. You have to cut the torsion bar otherwise it is still carrying the load of the car, and I think it has an impact on the rotational security of the chassis eyebolt. Then it applies an additional vertical load on the Mini upper arm mounting which will then take the full weight of the front end of the car including the dead weight of the cast iron engine.
        Its not beyond engineering but careful attention must be paid to the steering geometry, already a Marina compromise.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I was thinking on the lines of removing the torsion bar complete also the bottom suspension arm. Replacing it with a wishbone to suit the bottom trunnion and replacing the shock with a coil-over. It is often done on Cortina suspended cars that use a chassis instead of the Cortina xmember. I don't see why it wouldn't work on a Roadster. The mini top link already takes the torsional strain in braking. But I wondered if anyone had tried it and what the result was.

Comment

Working...
          X