Where's your engine number?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's your engine number?

I expect most of us know of the lists on-line enabling the aging of our particular engine from the engine number? Jolly useful and informative....IF you can find the number! I have a carborated i4 DOHC Ford engine, from which the Sierra / Scorpio Efi engine was developed. in my car....it was a factory reconditioned unit when fitted, but the engine number on the V5 doesn't tally with the only number I can find on the block. Accordingly I'm a bit concerned that the number I've found is incorrrect or denotes something else. So, my question is this....whereabouts on the Ford 2 litre 8 valve DOHC "i4" (manufactured and fitted to Sierras post Pinto but pre Zetec) is the engine number located?

Re: Where's your engine number?

According to the Haynes Manual 'On 2.0 litre DOHC engines, the engine number is stamped on the front face of the cylinder block, below the upper timing chain cover'. I hope that is the case but the location diagram refers to a 'sticker' so it may have fallen off! Peter H

Comment

Any help?
      Attached Files

Comment

droverpete's explanation may be why my IVA examiner and I couldn't find the number at the IVA test. The tester thought it was on the front of the block but with a 20 year old engine having done 100k miles the sticker had probably fallen off.

I think the photos are not of the DOHC I4 engine (but I may be wrong...)
        Last edited by chris_cussen; 09-02-18, 03:13 PM. Reason: Comment about photos

Comment

A and B series engines have the engine number on an ally plate on the top surface of the block. Have any work done on the block that rquires skimming and it's gone. Frequently it just corrodes off anyway.
          Formally DonSayers on here.

Comment

Working...
          X