Hello There!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello There!

Hey there MOC members! My name is Matt and I'm a 25 year old Northumberland born PhD student who loves tinkering on vehicles.

Following the near completion of my full restoration and creation of a Honda cx500 into a cafe racer, I decided to have a look at a classic or kit car to run. My initial decision had been to go for an MG Midget or BGT however, I was put off by relentless horror stories of bubbling paint,corrosion, rot, blown engines and electronic failure.

I came across the Marlin brand around four years ago when I was on the hunt for a vehicle that represented what had been my dream car since I was around four years old (Believe it or not it was Cruella De Vil's from the 1961 cartoon) and was pleased to find that if looked after, they are comparatively reliable cars. Things such as the hard top and relatively corrosion resistant materials used made me like the idea of owning one even more. I think the only thing that worries me is driving in heavy rain which may cause the engine to cut out (any info would be appreciated).

Accordingly, I have by stroke of luck and/or impulse recently purchased a Sierra based Berlinetta, which I have been told are relatively rare, but I am far from an expert. I reckon there is a fair amount of work required however the plan always was to have a running project to keep me occupied during my free time.

If anyone has any info with regard to the past life and history of this car I would really love to know about it! (Also if I have been suckered and bought a piece of scrap). Cheers!

E329-FNU-Newark-2011.jpg

27335686_1627771480631771_1697287352_o.jpg

27144609_1627771457298440_1271364789_o.jpg
    Last edited by pyrovee; 10-02-18, 12:04 AM.

Re: Hello There!

Hi, Pyrovee, and welcome to the forum!

I know nothing about the Berlinetta and its variants so I'll let others more knowledgeable chip in on that.

Good luck with the restoration and happy driving.

Comment

Hi Matt welcome to the club. The Sierra based Berlinetta is a little different to the Cortina based car. The Sierra car shares the front suspension of the Cabrio, which is a mix of Ford and Marlin components. At the rear the Berli uses the whole Sierra suspension, with the Cabrio being a mix of Ford and Marlin at the rear.

By the way there were around 17 Sierra based kits produced. If you care to look in the Build diary section you will find my "Berlinetta build and restoration" which has many pictures of my restoration of my Sierra Berli.

Regards Scott.

Comment

Well hello Matt. I bought this car in June 2007 from a gentleman in Bovey Tracey, who was (he told me) the second owner. I ran it intermittently until the Autumn of 2009 before selling it (VERY reluctantly) through the club...indirectly to a guy in Lichfield (I believe). I'm happy to share all the details I have with you...PM me with a mobile number and I'll call you for a chat? When I owned it the car was in excellent shape physically and mechanically...only the maroon part of the coachwork tended to fade...T cut / wax and indoor storage required! The interior (on purchase) was a mess. I changed the seats (twice)...replaced the steering wheel, tyres and serviced it regularly. I sourced and had the hard top covered and fitted, but there was a soft top (hood) and frame with it. I had a genuine reason for the sale at the time (which I'll share via PM, if you want to know). I believe there are just 18 Sierra based cars in existence. I think you've bought an absolute gem...there were design compromises converting the Berlietta kit to the Sierra base vehicle, but it is a better riding car and over time you'll manage to sort it out to your own requirements. Best of luck...and congratulations!
        Bill

Comment

Welcome Matt. great buy! There are not any issues with the Berli cutting out in the rain and many owners have done many miles with huge grins on their faces. As with any car of a certain age, maintenance is important (and fun) and of course, the back up of a great club with some incredibly knowledgeable people will help with spares should you need them.
          The pinto is a great engine (low powered by today's standard though) but the berli will waft along quite happily with it. My advice would be change the cambelt if you don't know when it was last done (takes about 30 mins), yours should have electronic ignition (if not that's an easy upgrade too) and give it a thorough service. Anything you need just ask.

Comment

Your Berlinetta was built by Cotswold Kit cars, Fitted with an 1800cc pinto engine. There has been a modification done to use the Cortina clutch cable so the adjustment is by lock nut at the bell housing. The Sierra item is is self adjusting on a quadrant. There was/is, a small plate giving details of this mod.

Comment

Thank you all so much for the responses! It's really very interesting to know a bit more about the cars history! Definitely gives it that much extra character. I have started a maintenance/build diary on another thread in which I will attempt to keep everyone updated with all the changes I am making.

Comment

Certainly does not look like a piece of scrap. Welcome to MOC.

Comment

I see the car is up for sale, have you completed the refurb already?
                  Originally posted by pyrovee View Post
                  Hey there MOC members! My name is Matt and I'm a 25 year old Northumberland born PhD student who loves tinkering on vehicles.

Following the near completion of my full restoration and creation of a Honda cx500 into a cafe racer, I decided to have a look at a classic or kit car to run. My initial decision had been to go for an MG Midget or BGT however, I was put off by relentless horror stories of bubbling paint,corrosion, rot, blown engines and electronic failure.

I came across the Marlin brand around four years ago when I was on the hunt for a vehicle that represented what had been my dream car since I was around four years old (Believe it or not it was Cruella De Vil's from the 1961 cartoon) and was pleased to find that if looked after, they are comparatively reliable cars. Things such as the hard top and relatively corrosion resistant materials used made me like the idea of owning one even more. I think the only thing that worries me is driving in heavy rain which may cause the engine to cut out (any info would be appreciated).

Accordingly, I have by stroke of luck and/or impulse recently purchased a Sierra based Berlinetta, which I have been told are relatively rare, but I am far from an expert. I reckon there is a fair amount of work required however the plan always was to have a running project to keep me occupied during my free time.

If anyone has any info with regard to the past life and history of this car I would really love to know about it! (Also if I have been suckered and bought a piece of scrap). Cheers!

[ATTACH]9522[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9523[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9524[/ATTACH]

Comment

Working...
                  X