Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: New Tyre options?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. #11 Re: New Tyre options? 
    Club Member
    To my low mileage friends, my MOT tester, who is a bit of an anorak looking at what's coming onto future MOT's told me that the dreaded insurance company's are checking tyre age's on RTA's in a bid to refuse pay outs, whether true or not I for one would not like to have happen to me.

2. #12 Re: New Tyre options? 
    Club Member
    Here we go again! Some time ago a long term member of this club wrote an article about tyres fitted to his self built Berlinetta. He had originally gone with the then current trend of fitting hugely wide tyres only to find that while road holding in the dry was good, in the wet it was... well pretty awful. So he went for smaller section tyres and found almost no difference in the dry and hugely improved road holding in the wet. In fact the handling characteristics of the car were pretty much the same in both wet and dry. It was after reading that article that I bought the Vredesteins..which were recommended to me at the time. If you still have the same 1800cc Pinto engine fitted to E329FNU, then it's scarcely over powered: certainly more of a tourer than a sports beast...so your choice of tyres doesn't need to be governed rigidly by size....the Sierra rode on 14" wheels after all and there are conversion tables on line which would advise on what sizes you could consider without upsetting your gearing. This is important as costs are very much limked to production quantities.."odd" sizes being much more expensive than more common ones. I have heard that Toyos are "sticky"...but I've heard the same of the Uniroyals as well. So in conclusion get the best you can afford for the job you want done: if it's only summer use you want, then rain experts may not be a priority. If it's to be an all year round steed, then all weather tyres would seem most appropriate.

3. #13 Re: New Tyre options? 
    Club Member
    The marlin's are powerful engined lightweight cars so use the gear's engaged on hard braking, until its necessary to save from stalling. I have had to many B, idiots in my journey's over the years and bad whether condition's. ( and no it not the cheap tyres). See you all at Stoneleigh. Enjoy your beast's

4. #14 Re: New Tyre options? 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    It’s extremely personal depending on when and where the vehicle is used.
    Sure the 5 year rule applies, but that is really only relevant to vehicles that live outside, especially caravans and trailers where the UV light destroys and cracks the rubber.

It also depends on whether you want to reduce noise, have good control in the wet or have maximum traction in the dry.
    Most tyre manufacturers publish their data, but, I have always steered clear from budget tyres.

You might save a few bob, but it’s a comparatively small area between you and the road that you rely on to steer and stop the car.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

5. #15 Re: New Tyre options? 
    Club Member
    Found this info on internet from Black circles website

Does the age of a tyre matter?

Tyre Safety: 5 Year Rule

Tyres are considered to be “new” and fit for retail up to 5 years from the date of production.

This is an industry standard based on the German BRV.

When in use, it is recommended that tyres are replaced when they reach 7 - 10 years old, (6 years in the case of caravans or trailers).

How To Tell A Tyre's Age

On the sidewall you will find a tyre's ‘DOT code’. One of the key pieces of information that can be gained from this is the date the tyre was manufactured.

Since the year 2000, the date section of the code - the last digits - has been made up of 4 numbers.

The first two digits tell you the week number and the last two indicate the year the tyre was manufactured. In the example below the age code is '3909'. This means the

tyre was made in the 39th week of the year 2009.

6. #16 Re: New Tyre options? 
    Hi I know you have bought your tyres from your build diary but thought I would ask here what tyres you went for as I am about to order some new tyres for my berly and like yourself I am wondering the best size to go for. I have 205/70 r15 tyres at the moment but these have gone hard and I have my suspistions that these may be van tyres because when I look for new tyres van tyres are what come up mostly on my searches but if I go down a side wall size 205/65 r15 there is so much more choice.
    I think my choice at the moment are nankangs as they have performed well on my roadster. I think you went for toyos did you stay with the same size? and where did you purchase them from.
    Thanks

7. #17 Re: New Tyre options? 
    regular forum contributor Club Member
    Hi there, I have just updated the long winded version of my progress on the tyres to my build diary. In the end I did indeed go with Toyo Proxes CF2 205/70 r15 tyres. Although technically for SUV use, Toyos are apparently softer than your average tyre brand which was a winner in my eyes for the exact same reason. I ordered mine from MyTyres and had them fitted locally, there's a website I used to compare sizes too, was really helpful - https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/ . All the best!

8. #18 Re: New Tyre options? 
    Club Member
    For me cheap tyres are like cheap brake pads a recipe for disaster only recognised when you can't stop in the wet as you rapidly approach the back axle of a truck who has pulled up a lot faster than you bye bye marlin