Thinking cap time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking cap time

How do I stop the crankshaft pulley from going round when I try to undo the large nut (36mm across the flats)

So far I have been fairly gentle with it.
    The rubber coupling on the front of the prop-shaft flexes and negates stopping the rear wheels turning (in 1st or reverse gears)

I think tomorrows effort may involve a impact driver and the air hammer.

It is on an Alfa engine but I suspect the solution does not involve the make of engine

Re: Thinking cap time

Take the starter motor off and lock the flywheel make sure you release any locking tab.

Impact driver should do the job or 3 shredded wheat for breakfast!!
    Last edited by b_caswell; 13-02-18, 04:10 PM.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks Ben will try that tomorrow after 2 shredded wheat for breakfast!!!

Comment

Or read this another method
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Do what I did last weekend on my MGA - just forget you have a spanner on after doing some other work and try and start it - one load clunk and you find nut in corner of garage - not my proudest moment

Comment

Ben's method works fine but whatever you engage into the flywheel teeth needs to be fairly strong as the crankshaft pulley on this engine is torqued up to a very high value (about 140lbft if I remember correctly)

Comment

You think that's tight, my Volvo Tdi c/s nose bolt is 120lbft + another 180° That is tight.

Comment

If you are trying to do it with a spanner, be aware that some are attached with a tab washer.

Otherwise Ben’s principle works if you have. 1/2”+ breaker bar set for the correct rotation..

But in my opinion a good soak with Plus Gas for 24 hrs works wonders for stubborn fixings.
                MOC member since 05/97
                1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I tried the "utube" method. The starter was not man enough to do the job.
                  So I started to remove the starter motor. I'm still to remove it.
                  Some idiot (me) welded the engine mount, and it need to be taken off so that the starter can come forward.
                  Oh yes I nearly forgot the 3 bolts that held the starter on.
                  1 was a 1/2" unf
                  1 was 13mm
                  1 was a 14mm
                  All spanner sizes
                  The 14mm did not have a nut. it did'nt need one it was so tight. An impact driver with my 3 socket lengths enabled me to hit the driver.
                  Perhaps later today I will work on it again!

Comment

If the Alfa is similar to my Fiat you can see the lower half of the flywheel in the bellhousing. (rear side)
                    I made up the following little lock plate which locates in a hole in the rear of the flywheel at TDC and bolts to the face of the bellhousing.
                    This allowed me to set up my cam timing and lock the c/s nose bolt.
                    Attached Files

Comment

First hit the bolt on its head with a big hammer hard, then put a spanner on it and clout it with a big hammer.

Comment

There is a plate at the bottom of the bell housing that you can remove and that should allow you to access the ring gear on the flywheel. You could maybe jam something in there to lock the crank.
                        Stumbling around in the dark
                        Marina based SWB roadster
                        Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

As in #10
                          Why do people have a fixation with hitting things with hammers??
                          Remember you've still got to lock it up to tighten it.

Comment

Finally got the Starter motor off, after I kifted the engine and removed the engine mount.
                            Held the starter ring with a large screwdriver and used a metre long wrecker bar on the 36mm socket together with a metre long extension. The nut was tight!!!!
                            Still I got the water pump off, and a new one will replace it when it comes.

They used to call it a "Monday Spanner" at Royces. (Hammer for those not in the know)

Comment

I thought years ago it was called a "Birmingham Screwdriver" !!!! Now that will open a " Can of Worms". David.

Comment

Working...
                              X