Aerial location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aerial location

My radio doesn't work. I don't expect that's a problem at 50+mph as I probably wouldn't hear it anyway, but every now and again, in town or when waiting for someone, it would be nice if it worked. Not high on the list of priorities...other more important things to sort out all last year, but now, looking for causes of the problem I couldn't find an aerial. And then I did, under the n/s of the bonnet on the bulhead directly adjacent to the chassis number there is a threaded stud...but no mast. Hence no radio, as no reception....but I can't see where or how a mast could ever have been fitted as an ordinary vertical mast would stick straight through the bonnet (unless I drilled a hole????
    SO to my question. Is there a special type of aerial I can obtain to fit to this aerial base? Where do other Cabrios have their aerials fitted? What have others done?

Re: Aerial location

This is the aerial location on my Hunter, thin aerial went between bonnet edge and screen
    DC
    Attached Files

Comment

The aerial I have on my Landrover is fixed to the top of the screen inside the cab. Its quit unobtrusive apart from the red LED when the radio is on. It has an amplifier built in so it needs a power supply. It works better than any wing mounted aerial did. I'm getting one for the Roadster when I fit the radio. the wires will be glued down the side of the screen.

Comment

Any ariel works best when fitted to conductive surface. The mast is generally an even fraction of the wavelength it is designed for, the metalwork acts like a mirror, doubling the effective length.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

As Landrover CB users know aluminium bodies do not make good ground planes. The centre top of a Marlin windscreen/roll over bar would probably be the best technical place , inconvenient though. My Roadster had the aerial in the engine room! Almost but not quite useless. stand by my windscreen aerial.

Comment

When I had a radio in mine this is where I had the aerial. Worked fine on am and fm.
            Attached Files

Comment

I have installed an electric aerial on the rear n/s of the boot, using an extension aerial lead and earthing to the rear chassis, if photo works see position
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
                As Landrover CB users know aluminium bodies do not make good ground planes. The centre top of a Marlin windscreen/roll over bar would probably be the best technical place , inconvenient though. My Roadster had the aerial in the engine room! Almost but not quite useless. stand by my windscreen aerial.
                Aluminium has a habit of oxidising to a very good insulator. RF is really fussy at very low voltages.
                MOC member since 05/97
                1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

The boot mounted electric aerial looks like the way to go. Where did you source the aerial from? Is there any reason I shouldn't site it on the off side behind the fuel filler (if there's room)? That appeals as I wouldn't lose any boot space that isn't already fairly in accessible?

Comment

I purchased it from a car radio shop, I looked at fitting it on the o/s but if a spark occurred it could cause a fire due to the location of the fuel filler pipe.
                    I still have plenty of space inside the boot, mine is the opening type, I have two folding chairs stored inside along with all the other items like jack, pump, tools, water, etc.

Comment

Hi - I fitted an electric aerial in just the same place as Stewart, and it has worked fine for 12 years. I bought it in Maplins as it was the only one I could find which would fit, those from Halfords, etc were too long underneath. My only regret is that I did not get a digital radio, as my favourite station is 6Music, which is digital only. Hence I tend to listen to the Mini Disk - anybody remember them???
                      Dave

Comment

As I started this particular thread, I thought I'd better document the solution. I changed my wheels....so that I might have a matching spare...but struggled to remove the luggage rack...one of the bolts is seized inside the sleeve and just turns. Without removing the rubber mounting through which the sleeve runs I cannot get enough welly on the tube to hold the sleeve firmly enough for the bolt to undo, so in the end managed to just remove three bolts and carefully wiggle and twist the entire rack through 180 so that the new wheel could be attached to the boot. While in the process I discovered a piece of co-ax wire with a broken crimp connector on the end dangling...and it dawned...at last....that in my car the boot rack doubles as the car aerial. I carefully made good the connection to the co-ax and attached it to the bolt connection to the boot...and hey presto the radio works....really rather well. I've fitted a unit without a CD as it fits centrally under the dash without fowling the heater box or damaging my knuckles when I select third and fifth...and I'm on the look out for a digital head unit that will drive a CD multi-changer that I can locate elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by billjackson54 View Post
                          ...and I'm on the look out for a digital head unit that will drive a CD multi-changer that I can locate elsewhere.
                          Genius! That is a great way to have an aerial.

Personally I think it would be a mistake to fit a CD player. They are so big and cumbersome compared to a portable media player (PMP) or digital audio player (DAP). Even the smallest will store dozens of CDs. I have used an iPod in the past but other more cost effective devices are available. My head unit has a simple USB connector that can easily be used to connect such a device. It can also be used to charge your phone if required.

Paul

Comment

E46 Bmw's had a unit in the boot maybe look out for one on ebay.

Just an idea.

Adrian

Originally posted by billjackson54 View Post
                            As I started this particular thread, I thought I'd better document the solution. I changed my wheels....so that I might have a matching spare...but struggled to remove the luggage rack...one of the bolts is seized inside the sleeve and just turns. Without removing the rubber mounting through which the sleeve runs I cannot get enough welly on the tube to hold the sleeve firmly enough for the bolt to undo, so in the end managed to just remove three bolts and carefully wiggle and twist the entire rack through 180 so that the new wheel could be attached to the boot. While in the process I discovered a piece of co-ax wire with a broken crimp connector on the end dangling...and it dawned...at last....that in my car the boot rack doubles as the car aerial. I carefully made good the connection to the co-ax and attached it to the bolt connection to the boot...and hey presto the radio works....really rather well. I've fitted a unit without a CD as it fits centrally under the dash without fowling the heater box or damaging my knuckles when I select third and fifth...and I'm on the look out for a digital head unit that will drive a CD multi-changer that I can locate elsewhere.

Comment

I intend to fit a windscreen mounted aerial such as this one, but stuck to the inside of the hard top of my Berlinetta. For soft top cars it could go under the scuttle or in the boot.

Buy Car Styling Aerials and get the best deals at the lowest prices on eBay! Great Savings & Free Delivery / Collection on many items
                              Last edited by scott h; 30-07-18, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X