Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-Imagining my Roadster with a 1.6 MX5

Saw this on another post, dated 2011:

""Club member Jonathan Cox currently doing just that, and as well as the Mazda engine and box, looking at the independent rear end , and front as well"

So want to get in touch with him, or anyone else who has done or wants to do this, because I am ready to go down this road.

My only limitations are time and ignorance.

Photo for inspiration
    Attached Files

Re: Re-Imagining my Roadster with a 1.6 MX5

Hi
    Sorry to disappoint, but due to time, money and enthusiasm I never went any further than the planning / measuring phase. I have never given up on the idea and regularly re-think the options and possibilities. May latest thoughts were to look toward the MX5 based Haynes Roadster plans from Saturn for the front end. Very close dimensions to the Roadster. I was planning on creating a bolt on sub-frame, picking up on the existing marina chassis brackets for the tie rods, eye bolts and top wishbones. This way it could be converted back to Marina if need be or I could even offer it as an option for other owners as an upgrade.
    The engine fitment is also an issue. The inlet manifold will foul the bonnet side. This could be over come by either fitted a bulge or offsetting the engine fitment (did not like this idea as would create propshaft issues).
    Electronics would be a fairly straight forward though which is a bonus.

There was a thread on here that ended with some pictures of a user that has the 1.6 MX5 engine fitted into the Standard Marina based Roadster but I have searched and searched but just can't find it.

Cheers

Jon Cox
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Paul s follow link!

its a starting point!

Comment

however a widened chassis/body etc to take the mx5 backbone etc

Comment

I widened my Roadster by about 6 inches and built my own unequal length wishbone front suspension and bigger discs, kept the rear end with a Capri Laser L. S. D. live axle running on 16 inch knock on wire wheels. Handles quite nicely. I did submit some photos a couple of years ago but it would appear they never made it to the gallery.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by philcoyle; 21-02-18, 11:16 PM.

Comment

I like the boot rack concept

Comment

Could you post some pictures of the front suspension setup please?
              Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Just as soon as I get my laptop repaired, thank you spectre and meltdown not forgetting Microsoft.
                Basically its Cortina uprights, unequal length wishbone top and bottom, transit ball joints, and Morgan 3wheeler front suspension coil overs.
                Simples?

Comment

Great news! I have founf the thread with the MX5 engine fitment pictures.

For continuity I have duplicated the pictures below.
                  Attached Files
                  Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
                  - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Originally posted by phil.coyle View Post
                    I widened my Roadster by about 6 inches and built my own unequal length wishbone front suspension and bigger discs, kept the rear end with a Capri Laser L. S. D. live axle running on 16 inch knock on wire wheels. Handles quite nicely. I did submit some photos a couple of years ago but it would appear they never made it to the gallery.
                    That is one mean looking exhaust pipe.......!
                    2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

I have since changed it to a twin side exit system. DC now has a more recent picture of Q824. The exhaust is a modified Morgan 2ltr 3 wheeler, if I could ask you DC to post it I would be grateful, as many of you know trying to post details with arthritic hands on a mobile is blooming nigh on impossible. Old age, who would have it??????

Comment

There you go Phil, twin side exhaust !

On the subject of the Gallery, referred to in an earlier post, I am awaiting new permission/admin sign in from the webmaster.

There are currently some issues but when sorted I have many pictures to upload

N B If your car is not in the Gallery, please let me know (my email address is in Pitstop) and check that I have a pic to put up !

Rgds DC
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by dcunn; 23-02-18, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Many thanks D C, you are a true gent, wish I could get the same service from Microsoft.
                          I changed to the side exit system after a light bulb moment when I realised, petrol filler cap , hot exhaust, numpty design by me, do I want to keep my eyebrows? You betcha.

Can you spot the Lambretta parts?
                          Last edited by philcoyle; 23-02-18, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Scooters always had loads of chrome, mirrors, lights and horns but those little side lights are a possibility??
                            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I think it's the sun visors LoL

Comment

Working...
                              X