Driving in the snow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving in the snow?

Hi everyone, I'm planning on taking the Berly from Newcastle down to Birmingham on the Monday. Forecast is for rain, wind and possible snow - I was wondering if any of you have any experience in such weather? My relative told me I'd be mental to try the trip.

Re: Driving in the snow?

rear wheel drive and snow = great fun! ahh takes me back!
    my missus used to slip and slide everywhere so I used to put a 25kg sack of spuds in the back of her chevette to give a bit more weight over the driven wheels.

Comment

Snow chains and winter tyres, warm clothes and gloves, and stop at every cafe and services.
      Been across the Alps, the Pyrenees with a 40 tonne artic. Treat the snow with the respect it deserves and have some fun in it, as in handbrake turns in empty car parks, we don't get enough snow for people to polish up their driving skills.

Comment

My favoured route back was Hexham Alston & join M6 at Penrith great on summers evening, not recommended Monday though.

Lights on no fog lights (unless fog), avoid outside lane all throttle and brakes not ideal in an older vehicle, beware of what's around you, leave reasonable braking distance although BMW/Audi will mostly likely utilise this space

Comment

No need to worry to much, I'm Having to do this on a regular basis going to & from work, plus I drive a transit each night approx 140-190 miles per night in all types of weather,most of which never see a griter, up & down country tracks, lanes, main & side streets.
          Allow for traffic, use the gears with soft braking, I tend to read the camber of the road to allow for sliding under braking where parked cars are (bloody everywhere at night)nearby. In remote country areas make yourself wide to allow for overstreering on some areas. Fresh snow you have grip, whilst older frozen areas not so, if you get stuck in the sticks deflate tyres by 1/3 rd.

Comment

I can see yo have quite a lot of road craft so I will sleep better at night,lol, If you deflate tyres this causes the middle of the tread to lose some contact with the road and more contact with the edges of the tyre as the lower pressure deforms the tyre, hence the need for correct pressures at all times, unless you are going mud plugging.

Comment

Lighten up Phil, you should know me better than to take offence at a simple joke

Comment

Hi pyrovee. I hoped that you enjoyed your Berli trip Monday and all went well.
                ​as for other comments made after my last post ?,,??????... need i say more.

Comment

Working...
                X