No announcement yet.

MX5 Marlin of Dorian Grey {any technical advice or wisdom, much appreciated}

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MX5 Marlin of Dorian Grey {any technical advice or wisdom, much appreciated}

360lbs just about covers the 1.8 B Series...gearbox will extra.
    Comparative MGB figures are 358lbs & 78lbs respectively but not clear if that includes manifolds (declared as "dry weight including clutch") or if the gearbox weight is with/without O/D.
    See this thread as well.
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Re: MX5 Marlin of Dorian Grey {any technical advice or wisdom, much appreciated}

I wouldn't get too worried about engine and power train weights, I would concentrate on engine/ gearbox position,your driving position etc. Hence the need to hang things off the ceiling, put the engine/box on a trolley, make something. Move the lump until you know where you and the lump are happy. Weights aren't a concern at the moment as you don't know yet what the total weight of components are, the weight and what suspension units you want.
      Think more of collecting 4 sets of bathroom scales for the future. This planning is needed to reduce costs if you buy the wrong thing.
      It's called a build ticket and you need to plan it carefully, this will take up a lot of your time, and is the reason for so many unfinished projects.
      At one time in my build I bought an 80year old sewing machine and refurbed it when the weather was too cold to work outside.
      It's a lesson in time and motion study.

If you or anyone else needs to contact me ?????? [email protected] you can be guaranteed of an insult or some helpful/ unhelpful advice any time . Phil,
      Last edited by philcoyle; 27-02-18, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Need ideas for a new fuel tank. What have others used?

Rs,

avid - Spring 2018

Comment

Not used by myself but believe MG Midget is a possible.

Comment

I would get a custom tank made.
            Whatever you end up with it will still have to have a fuel feed and return, and at least you can then match the level sensor to your instruments.

Comment

I can recommend OBP. They made a bespoke tank for my Berlinetta from a drawing that I emailed. It arrived ten days after I paid for it. They do a range of universal tanks aswell.

Comment

Working...
              X