No announcement yet.

MX5 Marlin of Dorian Grey {any technical advice or wisdom, much appreciated}

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MX5 Marlin of Dorian Grey {any technical advice or wisdom, much appreciated}

360lbs just about covers the 1.8 B Series...gearbox will extra.
    Comparative MGB figures are 358lbs & 78lbs respectively but not clear if that includes manifolds (declared as "dry weight including clutch") or if the gearbox weight is with/without O/D.
    See this thread as well.
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Re: MX5 Marlin of Dorian Grey {any technical advice or wisdom, much appreciated}

I wouldn't get too worried about engine and power train weights, I would concentrate on engine/ gearbox position,your driving position etc. Hence the need to hang things off the ceiling, put the engine/box on a trolley, make something. Move the lump until you know where you and the lump are happy. Weights aren't a concern at the moment as you don't know yet what the total weight of components are, the weight and what suspension units you want.
      Think more of collecting 4 sets of bathroom scales for the future. This planning is needed to reduce costs if you buy the wrong thing.
      It's called a build ticket and you need to plan it carefully, this will take up a lot of your time, and is the reason for so many unfinished projects.
      At one time in my build I bought an 80year old sewing machine and refurbed it when the weather was too cold to work outside.
      It's a lesson in time and motion study.

If you or anyone else needs to contact me ?????? [email protected] you can be guaranteed of an insult or some helpful/ unhelpful advice any time . Phil,
      Last edited by philcoyle; 27-02-18, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Need ideas for a new fuel tank. What have others used?

Rs,

avid - Spring 2018

Comment

Not used by myself but believe MG Midget is a possible.

Comment

I would get a custom tank made.
            Whatever you end up with it will still have to have a fuel feed and return, and at least you can then match the level sensor to your instruments.
            MOC member since 05/97
            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I can recommend OBP. They made a bespoke tank for my Berlinetta from a drawing that I emailed. It arrived ten days after I paid for it. They do a range of universal tanks aswell.

Comment

Working...
              X