Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'O' series marina attempt at IVA post 4

Refit front suspension

The reverse of removal if I can remember, checking torsion bar drop and fit new boots to track rod ends and top ball joints after adding more grease also poly tie rod bushes and replace one damaged trunion, add to note any areas that need paint touch up. Note to release and re tighten suspension bushes when under load. It did not go all to plan after looking at the instructions and drawings for setting up the torsion bars in the marlin build manual which showed the lower suspension set up without the lower trunion fitted, thats how I rebuilt it. When I go to fit the trunions and uprights I realise my mistake. Great how do I now fit the lower trunions without taking the whole lot apart, those tie rods with the poly bushes were a real so and so to fit. After a few minuets of looking and thinking a possible solution was arrived at, disconnect lower shock eye, now undo the 3 bolts joining the two lower suspension arms, remove shock mount, then with a hammer and wood block/bar carefully knock back the cast rear arm along the spline until it clears the front spline try not to disengage the torsion bar spline or you will have to set it up again. The torsion bar should drop a bit so you now be able to fit the lower trunion and reassemble, then touch up the paint you have chipped off.

Front Brake reassembly

Will be done when I have sourced a dual circuit warning switch or fluid cap with float switch that will fit my reservoir .

In one of the pictures you will see the steering rack mount has 3 sets of holes can anyone inform me which ones are the correct/original to use?

I will be out of contact for 5 days in the lake district if I can get there (just in case someone comments and expects a quick reply).

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Phil
    Attached Files
    Last edited by phild; 28-02-18, 10:45 PM.

Re: 'O' series marina attempt at IVA post 4

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/...d-float-switch may help ??????

Comment

Thanks I will look into it.

Phil

Comment

I’m not seeing your steering rack mount with three holes?
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Steve thats the trouble with doing things late in the night added the picture now.

Cheers

Phil

Comment

Mmmmmm I only have the two.

Looking at mine, I would suggest the top one of each of the group of three.

Looks like someone has tried to adjust the position of the rack.

The only problem I see here is that due to the number of holes it may compromise the strength of the plate?

Adrian

Comment

Mk1 and Mk2 steering racks are different and therefore have different sized clamps. The Mk2 clamps have a u bolt with legs wider apart than the Mk1. The build manual says to elongate the holes equidistant to accommodate this fact. The danger here is that you can change the geometry if you get it badly wrong and introduce bump steer.
              Jon
              Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
              - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Taken from the build manual:

Fit the steering rack, this is mounted on the brackets provided on the chassis using the standard clamp and backingplates. Some Marinas were fitted with clamps with different bolt centres so the holes will need elongating with around file to fit these. Ensure the four holes are elongated equally, so that the rack centre line is not effected. Cut offexcess U bolt stud flush with the nut. Installing the engine is easier if the rack is left uncIamped and resting on thechassis.
                Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
                - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Hi Phil,
                  This is where my steering rack is mounted. Hopefully give you an idea where yours should be mounted.

E44C6BDD-CF95-4F0F-8D45-3572488A66FF.jpeg

8787509C-B9D7-4035-8D41-9B589EB9CCDB.jpeg

F6E902FA-833A-47C5-AFF6-C301595ADE69.jpeg

F8857E14-3579-4E57-8D3B-33B918A826C6.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by jon_cox View Post
                    Mk1 and Mk2 steering racks are different and therefore have different sized clamps. The Mk2 clamps have a u bolt with legs wider apart than the Mk1. The build manual says to elongate the holes equidistant to accommodate this fact. The danger here is that you can change the geometry if you get it badly wrong and introduce bump steer.
                    Jon
                    Not so. The mounts are different but the same pitch fixings at one end only.
                    Last edited by stevejgreen; 02-03-18, 09:59 AM.
                    MOC member since 05/97
                    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Not sure what you mean here Steve.
                      They look the same to me. I just so happen to have a pair of Mk2 clamps under my desk.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I tried to document it all here or there.
                        Log into your KeepandShare account with your account name and password.
                        MOC member since 05/97

Comment

I just got back tonight I will check all this out in the morning. Thanks for all the input, If need be I will weld reinforcement to the plate.

Comment

Working...
                          X