Bonnet stay.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonnet stay.

I'm looking for ideas for a pair of bonnet stays, to hold it open. I never liked the way it folds right over until it jams on the other half, and I would like to be able to open and support both sides at once.

I thought about a rod with a keyhole that would attach to the lugs used to keep it closed. Another idea is a horizontal bar that could swing out from the top of the engine which the side louvred panel would rest on, probably with a U shaped end with rubber protection to save damaging the paint.

Re: Bonnet stay.

I too would be interested in some ideas on this, easy with roadster as they only have the top half which opens but on a berli the side comes with it. I have had no problems with opening it and resting it on the other side - and for more in-depth work I whip the whole thing off (after replacing the nuts with rivnuts). It just feels a bit uncaring!

Comment

So you want to do this?
      IMG_0916.JPG

It is just a length of steel rod. There is a small hole on the inside lip of the bonnet
      IMG_0917.JPG

And a small bracket on the bonnet side. The end of the rod has been drilled and there is a washer and split pin to stop it falling off.
      IMG_0918.JPG

And finally a bracket to hold it when not in use.
      IMG_0919.JPG

Comment

Yes that's the sort of thing. With my Berlinetta the side panels lift with the rest, but something similar is what I had in mind.

Comment

Try the search function for bonnet stay....two issues of Pitstop in 2012 had ideas/pictures

Comment

Thanks Chris, DC . The issue with Berli bonnets is the side engine panel which is attached by hinges to the top panel. I can't see that there is a good solution using a stay. Using one would entail some sort of heath Robinson contraption which is beyond my logic. The key is to take the weight of the hinge when one side is folded over onto the other? I guess a stay on the top panel allowing the side panel to hang free might work?

Comment

How about mounting the stay on the bulkhead and not the bonnet side? just a thought.

Comment

Ok here's a smile for you cos I can't draw and I don't know the Berli well, but.........

The black sketch is a section at mid engine, looked from the front, showing the chassis rails and the bonnet closed

Build a suitable strong strut (1 " square tube ?)from side to side above the engine and below the bonnet, the thick black bit

Strengthen the side hinges in a fore and aft direction and put some sort of mid point stay from the strengthened hinge down to
                the stay - the blue bits showing this and a supported bonnet

Simples
                Attached Files
                Last edited by dcunn; 25-03-18, 07:08 PM.

Comment

I modified the original Cortina bonnet stay, sure you could make one up from suitable steel bar. Fitting the original grommets, still available from Burtons.
                  Cable edge clip holds it in place when bonnet in closed position. see attached photos.
                  Attached Files

Comment

A couple of pictures of Millie’s bonnet stays. They are made from a simple length of rod bent to shape, flattened and drilled one end. That drilled end is attached to extended bonnet fastener screws. A simple homemade catch holds it when the bonnet is closed.

The slight problem with Cabrio bonnets is that the sides hang down and obscure the view. It is also a bit of a nuisance to have effectively a bonnet on each side. Furthermore, Millie’s contoured bonnet interferes with the hinge stopping the two sides from fully opening together. I wouldn’t trust them in a high wind.

Paul
                    Attached Files

Comment

Icannot post a 'Quick Reply' it keeps saying 'Your message is too short it must be more than four characters'

Message:- I love this bonnet. as anyone doe it on a roadster? Is it even advisable?

Comment

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
                        Icannot post a 'Quick Reply' it keeps saying 'Your message is too short it must be more than four characters'

Message:- I love this bonnet. as anyone doe it on a roadster? Is it even advisable?
                        If you are saying you love my bonnet this Easter thanks!

I not sure about the length of your message problem as it is clearly more than four characters. Could you have managed to accidently deleted the title?
                        Paul

Comment

Easter bonnet! I'm smarter than I thought. Message working now.

Comment

Working...
                          X