coil position suggestions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coil position suggestions please

Since fitting bike carbs, I am not entirely happy with the position of the coil in case of a petrol leak in the future. as leaking petrol and sparks are not good together when avoiding fire, see pic WP_20180325_18_47_05_Pro.jpg
    I would like it here but too cluttered WP_20180325_18_48_10_Pro.jpg
    or here but would it be too hot and I would like it above the carbs[ATTACH]9665[/ATTACH
    or somewhere on the heater bulk head but don't fancy altering wires, bolting to heat box and will it effect the radio ....... i have a accuspark trigger not points . does that matter,WP_20180325_18_50_23_Pro.jpg
    or some where better that other members have tried

Re: coil position suggestions please

On my Roadster the coil has been down near the radiator since I built it and haven't had any problems with it
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Mine is in the position shown in your last photo, never had any problems and easy to access.
      You might just want to ensure the connections have water tight covers.
      Any one who had an old mini will remember the problems they had with rain and large puddles.

Comment

Originally posted by daveghunt View Post
        Mine is in the position shown in your last photo, never had any problems and easy to access.
        You might just want to ensure the connections have water tight covers.
        Any one who had an old mini will remember the problems they had with rain and large puddles.
        yes I did consider leaving the coil in situ and fitting the rubber cover fitted to early minis, do you think this would be adequate in case of a fuel leak ?

Comment

Sorry not at home so can't supply photo.
          If I remember correctly in mine the coil sits higher and foreward of the mech. fuel pump.
          I haven't had any problems. Touch wood! I' now check connects when I get home.

Comment

Hi, my coil is positioned as per your last picture; to the LH rear of the radiator. It has been faultless for ages even during a two day trip from the South of France during which both days we were cruising through torrential thunderstorms.
            The HT lead from coil to dizzy can be made nice and short too.
            I would certainly recommend placing it there.
            Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Working...
            X