Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster Hybrid

Hello All,

help if you can please. I have a Roadster Hybrid chassis #2777. It has a Triumph Vitesse engine and as yet what gearbox or axle I’m not quite sure . The engine has been rebuilt and running gear also rebuilt . Side exhaust looks new but the bodywork and electrical have seen better days.On a positive note it has been dry stored.

I live in Ireland and the previous owner had registered the car here as a Triumph Vitesse Mk 2 (had no U.K logbook) carried out the above and then lost interest. He knew nothing about the Marlin and was by no means the sentimental type only to tell me he purchased it here in Ireland from an older gentleman who had imported it from the U.K. Looks to me like this Marlin was never really finished or been the road.

I’m very fond of the car and intend to get it driving. Needs side screens,complete re wire, heater , wipers , replace flooring , repair butchery in bulkhead and no doubt the list will continue. The instruments look like Triumph 2000 or Dolomite. Would be great if anyone can put a few more pieces to the puzzle?

For me part of owning a Classic is the history behind it. I have never driven a Marlin but always heard they were a well engineered and balanced car . I found some undated description sheets/parts lists in an old box of spares with another note from Steve Himsworth (spellcheck?) at Y.KC attached to a brochure on wheels (brochure dated Sept 92). Build sheet says Marina axle , Triumph engine but no mention of transmission. Parts lists reads Triumph Kit with Marina axle.

Despite work being and family being the usual whirlwind in determined to start the ball rolling so here goes.

Very best wishes, Trevor

Re: Roadster Hybrid

Trevor, it's good to hear of yet another car coming back to life ! As archivist for the club I'd love to have some pictures so please either post here, or send some to my email (as in Pitstop magazine).

If you use the search function here you will find a method of turning your rear axle and counting the turns to give an idea of the ratio, then we can say what sort of Marina it came from

Your car 2777 left the factory in April 1985 sold to a D Simpson, planned for a Vitesse engine.
    In January 1995 he contacted YKC for some spares, and noted that the car was still in build in N Ireland !
    The next information we have notes the owner as D Brown in 2006
    .......and that's all we have !

Rgds DC
    Last edited by dcunn; 05-04-18, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Wow that’s super!

Thanks DC, your on the ball. Upload photos soon and will do some homework on the axle. D.Brown was the chap I got it from . Any address or contact for D.Simpson?

All the best, Trevor

Comment

For the record, what is your surname please ?

Sorry, no info on Simpson

Rgds DC

Comment

Nuzum. I’m a member, username Letsgrow

Comment

Cheers

Comment

Hi Trevor, I would expect the gearbox to be from the vitesse possibly with overdrive if your lucky.

If you can post a picture of the gauges I will try and identify them. Ifyou have any Triumph related queries
              I will try and help.
              Last edited by b_caswell; 05-04-18, 09:43 PM.
              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi Ben,

Will post some pictures tomorrow when I get a chance and appreciate your help.

Good night, Trevor

Comment

C1E08A65-F9E6-41FD-A7B3-4CFCD0369F29.jpeg

Comment

B0717B5F-ADD3-4E07-9F56-D2F33CBA64E8.jpeg

Comment

98A079DA-ADA7-422D-B145-1FE6819EDE2F.jpeg
                      Attached Files

Comment

A3948AB5-3EC4-4166-BE9F-D5EED9753BAF.jpeg

Comment

Hi Trevor,

The pictures make interesting viewing and a very nice Herald Convertible is also good to see.

The gearbox has the overdrive actuator arm and switch which can be seen in the bell housing shot.You will need to get under the car to see if the overdrive is in place.
                          The chewed letter box opening in the bulkhead was where the heater mounted, using either a Herald or Vitesse modified unit.
                          It would have had the wiper system motor and wheel boxes(modified) from either the Vitesse or Herald.
                          The gauges look either Dolomite or Spitfire with the segmented warning light unit as is the top of the steering column and switches.
                          Thinking about it if the rev counter is electric(not cable driven) the gauges may be GT6.
                          The engine looks to be a Mk2 unit.
                          I also see the master cylinder towers need swapping over as the one on the clutch with the reinforced flange should be on the brake.
                          Last edited by b_caswell; 07-04-18, 09:13 PM.
                          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Many thanks for the pics Trevor, looks like a very solid base to start from
                            What was that Irish reg plate ...8211_ _ _

Regards DC

Comment

Than you all for that info ,

Overdrive unit in place looks better underneath than from the top but that’s very positive. I did notice some fresh oil on bell housing and back at the overdrive unit . Would the Petrol tank be from a Spitfire ? I did run this engine briefly when I got it via a 5ltr can . Runs great but was reluctant to drive it more than a few meters as it had no seating and was very lively. Was never well up on Dolomite , Gt6 interior or later Marina interiors . There is a round switch on the right on the steering column forward of the indicator stalk and gear shift puzzles me . Wiring is shot and had to trick around to get ignition that will be a start from scratch job. Homework and list continues.

Enjoy your day , Trevor

P.s very exciting to find overdrive

Comment

Working...
                              X