MOT Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOT Today

The car went in for it's MOT today and I had a bit of a scare.
    The guy came out and told me it had failed on emissions. I asked him 'based on what?
    He said that the car had no CAT, and its a 2009 registered vehicle, to which I replied 'it was not built with one originally, its an 89 car'.
    I mentioned the possible changes in emission regulation and currently the age of the engine is relevant.
    (Note to self, I think in future I will keep the original vehicle docs close)

He ummed and arred, put it back on with the 89 registration and it passed.

I will be going back to see him again )

Re: MOT Today

Millie passed her MOT last week. The tester had trouble getting her to pass the emissions test but did it by getting the 2015 Ford Focus engine good and hot. I did argue that she does not need to pass a 2015 test but he was convinced she did.

Next year I think I will take the appropriate page from the MOT manual and a photocopy of her V5c. I note that the current manual expires in May and the new (draft version) states:
    You must test kit cars or amateur built vehicles to the limits in the vehicle's registration document (V5c). If the V5c doesn't show any limits, you must test it to the limits based on the date the vehicle was first used.

Her V5c does not show any limits so I presume it would based on the “Date of first registration” which is 1989 for Millie.

Sometimes I think emissions would be much less of an issue if only I owned a diesel Volkswagen.
    Paul

Comment

Re: MOT Today

I notice the draft MOT manual states:
      Kit cars Kit cars and amateur built vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1998 must have either Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) or Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA).

Is this a new requirement? It may cause some of our members’ problems.
      Paul
      Last edited by milliemarlin; 17-04-18, 08:59 PM. Reason: Added italics

Comment

Working...
      X