Engine oil recommendations reqd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine oil recommendations reqd

Ok, successfully changed the timing belt on my 2.0L SOHC sierra lump, after reconnecting the coil leads fired and ran first key turn - bit smug here!

Next task change the engine oil/filter etc - been looking in Haynes and I can use 10-30's or 20-50's, been looking in my local motoring stores and can only find semi synthetic or fully synthetic, have asked questions re traditional mineral oils to vacant expressions, my question is, which should I use, I shall have to investigate getting some brought over here, Steve Himsworth, remember him, operates a UK - France transport /courier service, he lives about 50 - 60 miles away.

Suggestions glady accepted!

Re: Engine oil recommendations reqd

Millers Oils is a reliable, innovative blender of market-leading advanced lubricants, oils and fuel treatments.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Hi Tony, Dane suggests in angouther post that he uses castrol Classic 20/50 from opie oils I think this is what I am going to use in my pinto powered berly he also recommends vr1 valvaline 20/50. If you go to page 19 in what have you been doing to your Marlin today you will find Danes post.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll follow up after the weekend, I'm off tomorrow and sunday making an exhibition of myself and my r.c boats up the coast!

Comment

You can get away with 10/40 (iirc Ford recommend 5/30) I think 20/50 will be a bit thick - although this was often specified back in the day - but may have contributed to the spray bar not doing its job so well. I recommend fitting a new spray bar or at least cleaning the one you have out thoroughly if you have gone to the trouble of changing the belt (well done! - its not as onerous as people think is it?).
          Danny N made a good point that engines with the mechanical fuel pump crank over a bit more to get the fuel back into the carb when cold and this helps lube the cam etc so if you go with an electric pump this can lead to problems.
          Ford Rec:
          Engine oil grade SAE: 5W-30
          Engine oil classification API/ACEA: SH/A1
          Ambient temperature range : Moderate climate

PS Oil change at 6000 miles or annually

Comment

Hi AdminUser,
            My post covered the cambelt and and oil change on my Pinto Berly. I always change my oil and filter annually which equates to around 4000 miles or so.
            My engine is a Vulcan 2.1. They insisted that I use Valvolene VR1 20/50 when it was new.
            This oil became hard to find in my Western backwater. I rang Steve at Vulcan and he says that Vulcan now recommend Castrol Classic 20/50. I have used this for the latest oil change and will report back after the run to Stoneleigh.
            Always change the filter at each oil change. I also opened up the valve gear spray bar holes from the measly 1mm to 1.5mm. This was because I have an extended lift and period camshaft which puts more strain on the valve system. So far no trouble after 20000 miles.
            I would always err on the thicker oil for an engine that isn’t in very regular use. It is horses for courses and I supposed the dear old cast iron lump would probably get you home on chip fat but I certainly don’t recommend anyone tries that!

Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Ok after the weekend and the comments of dane.... I feel a little better about oil choices, I spoke to a froggie who used to run a Renault R8, he always used Castrol Classique 20w50 without probs!
              It would appear that here in France there are just 2 companies producing / selling mineral oil, Castrol and Motul, all the rest seem to have moved to semi synthetics.
              I think I will\ opt for Castrol, and possibly open up the spray bar holes to 1.2mm. I have a French CT booked for Friday(equiv of uk MOT) so the servicing will start after that, currently everything seems fine, the French test being easier than in UK however it all changes on May 1st with stricter and more controls on all vehicles, here ordinary cars are tested every 2 years and vehicles of collection(cars 30 years old and over) are only tested every 4 years -- how is that circle squared then, strange nation here
              Thanks to everyone who contributed!

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Stott View Post
                Ok, successfully changed the timing belt on my 2.0L SOHC sierra lump, after reconnecting the coil leads fired and ran first key turn - bit smug here!

Next task change the engine oil/filter etc - been looking in Haynes and I can use 10-30's or 20-50's, been looking in my local motoring stores and can only find semi synthetic or fully synthetic, have asked questions re traditional mineral oils to vacant expressions, my question is, which should I use, I shall have to investigate getting some brought over here, Steve Himsworth, remember him, operates a UK - France transport /courier service, he lives about 50 - 60 miles away.

Suggestions glady accepted!
                hi, I am no expert but I looked into this myself last year.
                I would think that the most important job of oil is protection. This can be achieved by high zinc contact, but with the introduction of catalytic convertors it was found that high zinc content is harmful to catalytic converters.From what I can understand the oil specifications were altered so that manufacturers could bring down zinc content and still meet the specifications and be more emission and cat friendly............but not so friendly to the ford SOHC and other old engines, with no cat.

From what i can remember Valvoline vr1 20 /50 is very good with high zinc content and was the one i was going to opt for......until i had my cylinder head modified by speed freaks in castleford , the guy there has built several race spec pintos at 200bhp. He recommended to only use Lucas racing oil as it has an extremely high zinc content .However my pinto only makes 140bhp at the wheels and I use it in a street car ...my berli ,,,, so i opted for Lucas hot rod and classic oil 20/50, which has a higher zinc content than the Valvoline. and contains detergents etc .

High zinc content can also alter your emissions however this wasn't a problem for me as my car has just gone through mot after last years oil change .I also fancied semi synthetic and synthetic but was steered away and told the best oil is clean oil , so keep changing instead of long life synthetics.Also most modern oils are too thin for a pinto.

There are several oil related articals on the internet that are interesting if you want to look further

Comment

Hi.
                  I have used Castrol over last 10 yrs without any problems in my Berlie. Always 60+ psi oil pressure cold and never goes below 55 psi. The engine was tuned but now down tuned but maintains a med high road race cam 2.0 ltr sohc. Only down side is its fumie of oil on first start up due to lot of cranking on mech/ fuel pump to start and takes a while to clear its self of oil fumes.I was informed by oil company that semi or synthetic oil is no good for pre 90 cars as heat ratio is to high and engine will over heat. Having said that I understand Castrol are now not doing standard oils. GTX has gone from shelves. now a semi GTX 10/40.

Comment

Yet more info, again thanks all.
                    From information gained when I bought the car, the engine fitted was new out of Bridgend sometime in the late 90's so I would assume a semi synthetic would work, however I'm off to Brest this week to a motor factors, so, would hope for more info, oil etc.

Comment

Tony I do not think that Ford would change their manufacturing tolerances. Of course you can put 10/40 semi synthetic in because that is the nearest when 20/50 became less available, but that does not mean it is the best choice for the SOHC engine. I use 20/50 mineral, and that is what was in your engine for several years while I ran the car. The previous owner used the same.

Comment

Ok, more thanks, eventually found a mineral oil, 15w40, and based on my annual mileage I think it should work for me, with a change every year!
                        should have added ,20w50 like rocking horse droppings here
                        Last edited by Tony Stott; 01-05-18, 07:33 PM.

Comment

I wanted to buy 20/50 SF spec oil for mine, had to get it online as no motor factors had it in stock

Comment

Euro Car Parts also seem to have adopted the policy of not stocking 20/50 mineral oil, Halfords still stock it.

My local independent motor factor still stocks it along with other useful items

Comment

halfords is SG spec a little early spec for Pinto's

Comment

Working...
                              X