Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Front wheel alignment / toe-in

Thanks for all your help and advice.
    Last night I managed to get into the garage and set the toe-in. I have gone for 2.5mm toe-in on each side on 15" rims. I used the good old string (fishing line in my case) method. I have not had a chance to test this yet (MOT just ran out) but will feedback when I do.
    I will check the camber tonight if I get time as per Hugh's recommendation and will report back.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

This thread has some great advice that I will be using, thanks to all.
      I am rebuilding my Roadster and before the engine and gearbox went in I had a massive amount of negative camber. Now they are in and under weight it has improved it but still negative. Had a look and there are no spacers on the lower mounting but I have some that I will be fitting then follow everyone’s advice to set the toe in.
      Thanks again for the advice, cheers, Martin.

Comment

BTW. When using the string or metal strip method for checking toe in don't forget that front and rear track widths may be different! Check the Haynes manual for the figures, take one for the other, then divide by two. That is the thickness of the piece of wood you need to slip under the strings at the front* of the front tyres to get them parallel. (*Assumes the front is narrower that the rear which it is on my Hunter /Sierra set up). Peter.

Comment

SO MANY METHODS - SO LITTLE TIME LOL
          This is mine as advised by an old skool mechanic
          Run down a hill and adjust track rods till steering wheel points the same way as wheels ie straight a head
          Go back to top of hill and run down and brake hard - park - look at tyres.
          Look at front tyre bulge - if inboard adjust track rods wider, if outboard - track rods shorter, until bulge is equal
          This is for triumph based - I have no idea for Marina based, is the rack fore or aft of the bottom joint ?
          My tyres are not scrubbing so works for me.

Comment

Is it bad that I don't know what mine's set to
            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

There is an easy way to find out,
              What you will need is 1. a roll of masking tape
              2. tape measure
              3. an assistant or someone you can get down and dirty with.
              4. Biro
              Set your steering wheel to dead centre and fasten in place ( I place a broom handle or length of wood across the doors and cable tie it to the steering wheel)
              place a piece of tape in the centre of each tyre half way down the rear of each front wheel in the direction of rotation . The length of the tape is irrelevant and can be either imperial or metric , about 2 inches or metric equivalent .
              with the biro mark an I on each piece of tape.
              With your assistant measure the distance between the two " I".
              Now roll the car forward half the circumference of the wheels , your two "I"s should now be at the front of the tyre.
              Get down again with your assistant and measure the distance between the "I"s. If the distance is smaller than your measurement at the rear of the tyre, then the wheels are toeing in. If it is the same measurement , then it is neither toeing in or out , which leaves, if the measurement is greater then the wheels are toeing out.

Comment

Working...
              X