Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello! I already have too many questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello! I already have too many questions!

Hi,

My names Charlie, I'm 19 and a proud owner of a Berlinetta!

The first time I came across the brand Marlin was the day I first saw my Marlin (21st November 2017). My Dad and I had gone to collect his car from a garage and as we were walking in we saw it.. literally rotting away in the corner of a yard full of scrap. I had no idea what it was, but I liked it. The owner of the garage said that it belonged to a friend of his who had moved away, he had been meaning to put it on the market for him but never got around to it. Apparently the guy bought it off a gentleman who was suffering with terminal cancer and had made the decision to sell on his pride and joy. It was then driven for a summer or two and then left until I found it. I have no idea how accurate anything I've been told about the car is. The car had a current MOT and started right up, the interior was damp and wet as the soft top had not been secured properly. It really was a sad sight seeing such a beautiful car left to be forgotten. I asked how much he wanted for it (expecting him to say around 5K as I had quickly looked up Marlin and the only Berlinetta on the market at the time as about 9K). To my surprise he said that he would take £1,000 if we made a cash deal. So I agreed and a week later he drove it 40 miles to my house! The car is fitted with a Pinto engine, its registered as a 2.0 but someone told me that it was actually a 1.6. The car was left in my garage for a couple of months and driven around the garden often. Then it started overheating and needed a new head gasket. So I ended up rebuilding the top end. She now runs like a dream. Engine wise she is lovely, the wiring is my next task. Its like a nest under the dash so I haven't taken her out yet - a full rewire is booked in for next week. Once that is done she will be mechanically perfect. Aesthetically she is a bit rough but for the time being I don't mind - all I want is to have an amazing summer with the car and really drive it and get to know it. Since getting the car I was also fortunate to find a hard top on eBay.

So thats my Marlin story so far. I will attach some photos of her below. If anyone knows anything about her specifically and can tell me more about the Berlinetta then I would love to know. I also bumped into a marlin owner the other day and he was telling me that he had just successfully got his car off Q plates and onto a 'proper' plate - could anyone advise me on how to do this and whether its worth it? As I have no contact with him.

Apologies for my current lack of knowledge on all this - I am very eager to learn though.

Many thanks!

P.s I am also on the hunt for a roadster project - there was one on eBay about a month ago that went for about 600 quid. It was triumph based. Theres not a day that goes by that I don't regret not bidding on it!
    Attached Files

Re: Hello! I already have too many questions!

The very best of luck with your purchase, I'm sure, like me, you will get many years of pleasure from your Marlin. It's gratifying to to hear someone of your generation appreciating the merits of retro motoring.

Comment

Hi Charlie and welcome to the club

My contact details are in Pitstop magazine, send me an email with your chassis/VIN number details and I will check for whatever history etc we have in the archive

Best Wishes DC

Comment

Originally posted by copperleaves11 View Post
        The very best of luck with your purchase, I'm sure, like me, you will get many years of pleasure from your Marlin. It's gratifying to to hear someone of your generation appreciating the merits of retro motoring.
        Thank you so much, I'm already completely in love with the car. I've always loved older cars, I learnt to drive in a TR4

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
          Hi Charlie and welcome to the club

My contact details are in Pitstop magazine, send me an email with your chassis/VIN number details and I will check for whatever history etc we have in the archive

Best Wishes DC

Many thanks! I've just emailed you.

Best wishes

Comment

Well done Charlie, the future of the club. I was about your age when my pal bought his Roadster kit and I went to the Dark Side ( Dutton )
            Stumbling around in the dark
            Marina based SWB roadster
            Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

Charlie, your email not received here, could you check addresses and try again please
              Thanks DC

Comment

Welcome to the club Charlie, I must say you got a bargain there for £1000.
                I was also your age when a friend of mine built his and it’s taken me nearly 30 years to be in a position when I had the time and funds to buy and rebuild my Roadster.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Marlin View Post
                  Well done Charlie, the future of the club. I was about your age when my pal bought his Roadster kit and I went to the Dark Side ( Dutton )
                  Thank you! My brother in law has a Dutton and the restoration competition is already well underway!

Comment

Originally posted by meverett View Post
                    Welcome to the club Charlie, I must say you got a bargain there for £1000.
                    I was also your age when a friend of mine built his and it’s taken me nearly 30 years to be in a position when I had the time and funds to buy and rebuild my Roadster.

Thank you! I'm still surprised that I got such a great car for that price and in a decent condition. I've got a long way to go with it but it will be exciting. Many thanks

Comment

Hello Charlie

What do you intend to do with the Berli? It certainly does not look as if it has been rotting away, polished up nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by stevepritch View Post
                        Hello Charlie

What do you intend to do with the Berli? It certainly does not look as if it has been rotting away, polished up nicely.
                        Hi,

I must say that the pictures are a flattering of her, In person she is a bit rougher around the edges. Well my plans currently are to get her mechanically perfect. The engine is now rebuilt and the wiring to come next week. Then I think I'd just like to enjoy her for a while, after spending more than I paid for her already in work it will be nice to make it worth while by driving her all summer. I also need to take the side runners off as there is some rust creeping up below the doors, after looking at some pictures it seems to be one of the few places Berlinettas get rust. Longer term would be a full nut and bolt restoration. With the engine only needing aesthetic work (painting/chroming) and the wiring all done; it should be a pretty straight forward aesthetic restoration. I no idea why colour to paint her yet. Interior wise I will completely rebuild the dash etc, new carpet and the seats im not sure about. They are blue and immaculate but I think they're quite limiting as it would be tricky to get an exterior colour to go well with them.

So lots to do. Before I even embark on the nut and bolt restoration I would like to by a Roadster, so if anyone you know is selling one in any state then I'd be interested!

many thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X