Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you tell a swb hunter from a lwb hunter please ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you tell a swb hunter from a lwb hunter please ?

would appreciate input -
    ken

Re: how do you tell a swb hunter from a lwb hunter please ?

Originally posted by kenbaker View Post
    would appreciate input -
    ken
    The doors are two inches longer and another 2 inches in the tub behind the doors, mine is a swb model and I havent seen a LWB version otherwise I would have bought it!!

Comment

On my LWB cabrio the length of the door, measured along the crease is 3ft 1inch. The distance (approximately) from the dashboard to the tub is 3ft 10inches.

Comment

More visually I think the running board joint with the rear guards and rear door edge gives a clue, cannot remember what it is but someone will!

Comment

The back door edge line, more or less lines up with the joint between rear wing and running board on the LWB. On the SWB this is off set approx. 45mm/50mm. The door and the hood is longer on the LWB.

Comment

So, does this help? I think it makes ours a LWB then ?

(Drivers door measured 'along the crease').

IMG_0133(1).JPG

Sorry about the tape measure, I bought it in the Antipodes.
            Last edited by kahawi; 02-05-18, 10:58 AM.
            Marlin Hunter R500 ULA 1997 Ford-Based Hunter with 2.3 DOHC L4 engine, chassis/kit No. 157

Comment

Yours is a LWB. There is a Blue Cabrio with a SOHC engine with yellow cam cover on ebay at the moment . There is a photo with one door open that shows a SWB very well.

Comment

I wouldn't dream of entering this particular controversy when Danny has already replied...there are few if any of us more knowledgeable than he...but the car on eBay is very similar to mine, which I bought as an LWB car, but the door edge line very definitely doesn't line up with the joint between the rear wing and the running board. At Castle Combe last year, I met a very experienced old hand who suggested that mine was in fact a SWB...so I looked into it in more detail. On the "Frequently Asked Questions" regarding the Cabrio on this forum, definitive dimensions are given for the wheelbase of both SWB and LWB cars (measured hub to hub)....so I measured mine and compared my result to the forum detail (and with a friend who has a V8 Hunter, which he measured so that we could compare notes). I concluded that mine is definitely a LWB..despite the rear edge of the door being about 50mm forward of the joint between the rear wing and running board.

Comment

/\ That's what I thought, but not certain!

Comment

Hi Bill, the question related to Hunter models. Factory built, doors hung before the tail was fitted. Put together by the same builders time after time. The joint between rear wing and running board / rear door line can be applied to these cars. Of course non will be exactly the same (hand built) hence the( more or less), but the difference between SWB and LWB easy to see. Now while some Cabrio (home built) models will be the same, as above, there is a possibility that others may not. Like yours, the builder may have decided to mount the front wings further forward (personal choice) or for whatever reason. Fitting the tail before hanging the doors can result in a 10mm/ 12mm gap. Rear wings higher or lower to suit the eye of the builder, etc, etc There was a MOC member building a LWB car and trying to fit SWB panels. So with a Cabrio I would look at the length of door and with hood up length of hood line can be seen easily on a LWB. When you see the two together it is very easy to see the difference. Or in your case when you cannot tell the difference a measurement tells all.

Comment

Here's a SWB Cabrio for comparison. About 34" along the crease. You can just about see the join in the running board forward of the door shut line.
                      Paul
                      Attached Files

Comment

Surely the easy way is to measure the wheelbase hub to hub??
                        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post
                          Surely the easy way is to measure the wheelbase hub to hub??
                          Most accurate, most useful, but you do need a measure, possibly an assistant and to know the dimensions for at least one type. A simple glance is all you need to tell the difference.
                          Paul

Comment

Working...
                          X