Roadster Weight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster Weight.

The M.O.T. tester asked me recently what the weight of my Marlin was. Guessing I said just over a ton.

I've had a look through the archive but can't see an on the road weight for SWB Mk2 Roadster with an 1800 MG engine and box.

Has anyone any ideas on this ?

Re: Roadster Weight.

Approx 740 Kg

Comment

I would have said that was a bit high
      My pals Mk1 roadster with a Fiat twin Cam and five speed was 670 kg - the Fiat has a cast iron skirted block and the five speed was heavy - I expect a SWB Mk2 Roadster with an 1800 MG engine and box to be about the same

Comment

Put mine on a weighbridge years ago. I agree with Hugh.
        What we do t know is how much fuel was in the tank etc. it all makes a difference.
        The weight distribution front to rear is surprisingly 50/50 with a driver in the seat, the only time that weight distribution matters.

There are quite a few weighbridges on A roads mostly on the port routes, then the DVLA testing station where they test HGV’s etc, or even try your local waste recycling centre!
        Last edited by stevejgreen; 05-05-18, 06:50 AM.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Mine was done on the china clay works weighbridge so I know it was accurate. Spare wheel, half a tank of fuel , 1800 engine and box. I noticed that at my MOT station last time that when on the brake rollers it showed the weight of each axle but forgot to make a note. Now got the Fiat engine and box in so it will be slightly different from the 1800, up or down , I don't know. Must pay more attention next time.
          Last edited by h_m_cumming; 05-05-18, 07:24 AM.

Comment

https://www.gov.uk/find-weighbridge
            MOC member since 05/97
            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Having spent my working life moving freight and weighing new vehicles for taxation purposes, the guidelines are the vehicle must have a full fuel tank and spare wheel and tools, in fact everything needed for the vehicle to be used on the road.
              Having some fuel , or no spare wheel is only fooling the owner that the vehicle is lighter than it really is, but I suppose egos play a big part. Mine weighs in at 860kg, u.w. front axle 420kg. rear axle 440kg. With overweight driver 960kg. front 420kg and rear 540kg. I think that being weighed 6 times for £10 on the local council scales good value and when the MOT man wants to know the weight for the brake test there is no guess work.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies, helpful as always. I'll take the 860 kgs as an all up weight on the road. A full tank, spare wheel and all the tools, jack,coolant, fuel can and all the other get you home stuff adds up.

The weight is actually less than I expected as the chassis is fairly formidable compared to a tubular space frame and the BL parts were fairly hefty. The weight distribution is re-assuring and it's nice to know the BHP per ton.

Comment

I forgot to mention that my car has been widened, has a pinto engine, 5speed box, Capri laser L.S.D. rear axle, and Cortina uprights, not your normal Marlin roadster ,so it will be heavier.

Comment

With my 2ltr EFI DOHC YKC Roadster it is 850kg

Comment

I'm a bit surprised by these weights

My "Device" which is a bit larger than a Marlin as I used Subaru suspension with a 100 Kg Motor and 150 Kg of batteries is 810 Kg (measured)

OK it's a space frame - but I plated it with 1mm thick steel! - well OTT

The Subaru bits are good bit beefier and heavier than Marina parts
                      Attached Files

Comment

My Dad built the lwb roadster I now have with the Fiat 2.0 TC & box and he's adamant that it was only 450kg when he weighed it 15yrs ago... So that's what I told the MOT tester recently... However the weights suggested above have made me reconsider his memory... I'll try to find a weighbridge around here and get it defined once and for all. There's a lot of aluminium but I don't know, its quick - but I always put that down to the 450kgs... Maybe its nearly twice that!

Comment

That's a wild machine. I'm happy that the inspectors in N.Z. have got a bit of spirit in them.

Comment

Originally posted by phil.coyle View Post
                            I forgot to mention that my car has been widened, has a pinto engine, 5speed box, Capri laser L.S.D. rear axle, and Cortina uprights, not your normal Marlin roadster ,so it will be heavier.
                            Mine was weighed on a local weighbridge in the 80s and came in at 550. More recently it was checked on my cousins brake tester and came out at 488. So maybe your dad was right ;-)
                            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Originally posted by velovol View Post
                              That's a wild machine. I'm happy that the inspectors in N.Z. have got a bit of spirit in them.
                              We are lucky here
                              About 20 years ago when the government started thinking about all those unsafe modified cars out there the NZHRA - New Zealand Hot Rod association - made them an offer

So the NZHRA wrote the manual and Hot Rodders do all of the certification - Something about poachers making the best gamekeepers

Seems to work quite well - I spoke to the local certifier (He is the treasurer in my club - Cobra Rodders) and I now have a list of changes that I need to make to my Marlin Chassis to get it through certification

Getting my "Device" certified was a bit more difficult as there is only one electric car certifier on South Island

Comment

Working...
                              X