Marlin cars facebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlin cars facebook

Hi everyone I have a Facebook group called Marlin cars ...if anyone would like to add to it please join in.it might help give people more knowledge etc of our cars and shows local to your area that others can attend etc.

Re: Marlin cars facebook

Tony also does a facebook page ykc bloxwich, details of shows etc he attends with his YKC Julietta

Comment

All following the AGM I have set up a basic Marlin Owners Facebook page.
      Given Alan already has one to which we are all invited to contribute, seems silly to run two pages, I will be happy to take down the new page unless the committee wish to have a specific site. I will give it a month for responses. Steve
      Last edited by stevepritch; 10-05-18, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stevepritch View Post
        All following the AGM I did set up a Marlin Owners Facebook page.
        Given Alan already has one to which we are all invited to contribute, seems silly to run two pages, I will be happy to take down the new page unless the committee wish to have a specific site. I will give it a month. Steve
        Sorry steve I was unaware that a page was going to be created, I had suggested we have one to the chairman a few months ago ,I will delete my page

Comment

Ir I recall correctly, an ex chairman set up a Facebook page, then after about six months, deleted it.

if we are going to have a club Facebook page, then should it be Club managed and moderated, a little OTT in my book, but there has to be an admin position to ensure that Facebook rules are not contravened.

How does this affect the use of the Club logo, if the Facebook page is unaffiliated?

theres a few things to work out.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by Alanv8 View Post
            Sorry steve I was unaware that a page was going to be created, I had suggested we have one to the chairman a few months ago ,I will delete my page
            Alan hold fire, and no apologies necessary.
            I spoke with Geoff after the AGM and said I would take a look at setting one up. Given comments, lets see which way the committee want to go.

Comment

There is already a Facebook group "Marlin Enthusiasts" and my FB search doesn't find Marlin Cars.

Why do we need another FB group when this forum works perfectly well.

I will be just another item to keep an eye on and spread us even thinner.
              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

During the recent AGM I stated that, for various reasons, the existing committee members were not in a position to run or administer a Facebook page but were happy for a club member to do it. Not currently being a Facebook user I was unaware that some members had already started one. As Steve Pritchard took the initiative after the AGM to set one up I decided to join. I think we only need one so can I suggest you agree among yourselves who is going to do it and let me know who it is.
                Thanks
                Geoff (Chairman)

Comment

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post
                  There is already a Facebook group "Marlin Enthusiasts" and my FB search doesn't find Marlin Cars.

Ben has a point but... For numerous reasons some people prefer to use the MOC forum, some prefer FB. It would be nice if both were equal, but life is not like that. A Marlin enthusiast should not be compelled to join the MOC, or vice versa.

If a past or present chairman thought a FB Page was a good idea, and then changed their mind, so be it. Both platforms should be able to co-exist, but both platforms should be independent. Neither holds sway over the other or has any greater credibility.

Nothing to do with diluting knowledge and experience, more to do with expanding the platforms.

In my opinion the MOC dropped the ball with the 5exi, a car from the same stable but a different design and power plant. It’s good to see intermittent posts from 5exi owners on the MOC forum, they have a radically different presence on the road. Almost as different as a Hunter, that is unlikely to be seen mud plugging up from Fingles Bridge as a Roadster!

If its got a Marlin badge on it, it should be included, whether it’s a trials car, a road car, or a track car. Whether it’s Triumph, Marina, Rover, Ford or BMW + Mazda and a few others. But conversely, each and every Marlin owner should not be denied their individual platform.

They must however be included under the MOC umbrella without prejudice.

I wonder what the current chairman thinks, or is that too controversial.
                  MOC member since 05/97
                  1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

You state that the MOC 'dropped the ball' with 5exi. Perhaps you could explain what you mean by that statement. As far as I'm concerned the 5exi has never been excluded in anyway and I have actively encouraged articles relating to that car in the magazine. It is true that the 5exi is a radically different concept from the other models in the Marlin range and probably attracts different motoring enthusiasts. Its also true that there aren't many of them as far as I'm aware but stand to be corrected.

I think I have made my position on a Facebook group quite clear. I'm more than happy for there to be one and I can see how it compliments the forum rather than dilute it. I think it could be particularly popular for overseas members who are not able to join UK members on various Marlin related activities. However, there is no-one on the current committee who is in a position to administer a Facebook page so it will need to be done by a member.

Comment

Originally posted by ggrum View Post
                      You state that the MOC 'dropped the ball' with 5exi. Perhaps you could explain what you mean by that statement.
                      Simple. Many 5exi builders immediately started using the, free to join and post, madaboutkitcars forum, a forum format much like the MOC forum of today. Back then, the MOC forum was text only, only later were a few small pictures allowed, it was extremely ‘clunky’ and did not allow edits.
                      In late 2011, seven years too late in my opinion, there were many discussions over this version of the MOC forum, back then, there was a father and son team as both Sportster and 5exi representatives. Where are they now?
                      Madaboutkitcars provided what was lacking on the MOC forum. Once 5exi members were established there, there was little or no incentive for them to join the MOC, so they were lost as club members.

Yes it’s nice to see 5exi articles in Pitstop and those contributors should be applauded.
                      MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Hi, just randomly touching on a few points raised by this thread.

First of all, I think it would be good to have an MOC presence on Facebook if someone has the time to step up and do it but I also agree with Ben Caswell that you can get spread a little thinly across social media & forums. For instance, I am a member of, or follow this little list;
                        MOC (Website)
                        Madabout Kitcars (Website)
                        Marlin 5exi owners (FB) Started 25/10/17 and administered by Exionman
                        Kitcar And Parts For Sale (FB)
                        Kit cars (FB)
                        STRICKLY KITCAR (FB)
                        Puddle Dodgers Club (FB)
                        Sometimes I wonder which one to post an update on or just put the same thing across the lot!!!

P.S. Just waiting which way members want to go on the FB decision before I tender to join the Marlin Enthusiasts on FB.

When I bought my car, I was told that I could get a discount on the car insurance if I was a member of the MOC. With the membership fee being very reasonable, I thought why not? Reduced insurance, access to the website, a free magazine and belonging to a car club with a great heritage, the membership pays for itself!
                        At the time, I knew nothing about the Madabout Kitcars site. Geoff Grumble’s welcoming nature and the fact that he prompted me to write an article for the Pitstop magazine pretty much sealed the deal and therefore I have stuck mainly with the MOC.

Steve has raised some good points that maybe explains why 5exi owners gravitated away from the MOC and towards Madabout. From a technical support standpoint, it is a better repository for 5exi owners and one I think new owners would be directed to. Shame really, as whether the ‘new’ styling is to your taste or not, it is still a Marque of Marlin.

I have to say that when I was at Stoneleigh on the Sunday, Geoff Grumble, Paul Carey, John Mulvaney and some other club members (I am embarrassed to say I have forgotten the names of), made me and my travelling companion feel very welcome.

BTW. Since the show, I have it on good authority that two new 5exi kits have been signed for… Let’s hope they join us on the MOC forum. I believe that brings the total up to 77 kits sold (?).
                        I find myself wondering where they all are...

Comment

Don't start wondering that !

The archive, and especially Roadsters, take up far too much of my time - still 77 cars can't be bad to document ,,,,can they ?

PM me if you want some "starter info"

Rgds DC

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
                            Don't start wondering that !

The archive, and especially Roadsters, take up far too much of my time - still 77 cars can't be bad to document ,,,,can they ?

PM me if you want some "starter info"

Rgds DC

Thanks for the offer DC but I think one of the other 5exi owners started to identify 'Where and Who'. I may know who it is and I'll ask them first how far they got with it...

Comment

Ben

I have to agree with you, we do not need more than one Marlin face book page, we do not need to spread ourselves too thinly.
                              To that end I will be closing down the page I opened, there are 75 members already on the Marlin Enthusiasts page with an application to join waiting a response.
                              Can I suggest to everyone who wants to get onto face book with the Marlin marque, the Enthusiasts page would be the one to join.
                              It is moderated and controlled, My application is in.

Regards to all...........Steven (How quickly we sorted that out! )

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post

Comment

Working...
                              X