Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Is this a genuine buyer?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. #1 Is this a genuine buyer? 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member David's Avatar
    I have an enquiry from France for my car, apart from the fact that I'm not sue I want to sell it to someone who is taking it out of the country, does this seem genuine? I work in IT security so am very suspicious of 'too good to be true' setups! Obviously read from bottom up!
    Last edited by David; 25-05-2018 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Sanitised!
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, the Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph based Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Kit manufactured 1983, first registered in 1987. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne in the NE of England.

2. #2 Re: Is this a genuine buyer? 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Why be suspicious?
    I have purchased several vehicles from the UK and exported them to Spain.
    This side of the channel, you need to have a little more information than a log book to prove that you own the car, and that it has been transferred out of the previous owners tenure. Even for cars registered in Spain being bought from a Spanish resident, taxes have to be paid.
    But as a seller you can chose not to sell to anyone you like!
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

3. #3 Re: Is this a genuine buyer? 
    It's the jump on a plane and pay cash that spooked me, who flies into the UK to by a kit car for a few thousand pounds?

Or is that quite common nowadays?

Just trying to ensure I don't get stung buy a fake buyer and counterfeit money! I suppose I could insist on a bank transfer and cleared funds before handing it over.

David.
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, the Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph based Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Kit manufactured 1983, first registered in 1987. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne in the NE of England.

4. #4 Re: Is this a genuine buyer? 
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    It's the jump on a plane and pay cash that spooked me, who flies into the UK to by a kit car for a few thousand pounds?

Just trying to ensure I don't get stung buy a fake buyer and counterfeit money! I suppose I could insist on a bank transfer and cleared funds before handing it over.

David.
    Someone who can afford to spend £33 or thereabouts to fly from Paris area to London area, and take a chance?

Lots of ways to pay, itís unlikely he will pay bank transfer sight unseen though. Bank transfers can take from minutes to a couple of hours, no big deal, he might even turn up with cash!

Iíve flown from Alicante to Nottingham, bought a car by bank transfer, then driven it back to Spain, and wasted a return air ticket, itís not that rare around here.

For around Ä500 you can get a car picked up and delivered the same distance on a car transporter if you are prepared to wait for them to pick up a full load.

Not at all unusual, if itís a vehicle you want at the right price.

Would you doubt a potential buyer if he was in Cornwall or Scotland?
    MOC member since 05/97
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

5. #5 Re: Is this a genuine buyer? 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevepritch's Avatar
    David

Why would you consider doing it any other way? I would however want to see any car I am buying prior to purchasing so its a leap of faith on his part as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post

David.

6. #6 Re: Is this a genuine buyer? 
    This applies to every transaction wherever you are.
    https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/doc/fraud_warning

If he turns up, and you donít like the deal, you can always say no, but, the vast majority of transactions are perfectly legitimate.
    MOC member since 05/97

7. #7 Re: Is this a genuine buyer? 
    OK thanks guys, I feel a bit happier now so will see what he wants to do next.

8. #8 Re: Is this a genuine buyer? 
    Club Member
    Marlins are a big deal in France at the moment - the key is that they have to be over 30 years old to be registered as classics over there. They often get sold on for three times what the buyer will pay in the UK so it is a good investment for them. I sold my Berli to a french guy - I was very dubious at first - you know about it going out of the country etc but then thought I was being a bit precious. Why shouldn't they enjoy the cars as much as we do?
    Do be aware that money transfers can take up to 48 hours though.

9. #9 Re: Is this a genuine buyer? 
    I have an issue with this thread. Itís in a public area of the MOC forum, consequently visible to many potential buyers, not necessarily being members of the MOC.

If this potential buyer reads this thread, which is essentially being cautious about his integrity, I, in his shoes, would immediately pull out of any transaction, unless it is very much in my favour, as Adminuser suggests.

Gone are the days of the UK being insular, though they may shortly return. I have imported cars from as far afield as France, Poland, UAE, Japan and Australia without sight of the vehicle except by photo or recommendation. I have never had an issue.

I can understand justified caution, but provided due diligence over the financial transaction is applied then there should be no problem.

For example, people have been caught out, without realising the differences between a Debit, Credit, Paypal, Bank Transfer or cash transaction. Each provides different levels of seller/buyer protection, talk to your bank! It is up to the seller/buyer to investigate, and agree to the relative risk of each option, in their perception.

I suggest this thread is moved to the Members Only section.
    MOC member since 05/97

10. #10 Re: Is this a genuine buyer? 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member Tony Stott's Avatar
    The registration of a 30+ year old car is quite complex here in France, photos, mot equivalent, engine numbers, chassis nos. etc then an application to the French Federation of Ancient Vehicles. That then takes over 2 months and up to 6 months to get a letter of conformity(attestation). Then a visit with all the documentation to the local Prefecture to get a reg number and at a cost. I had to jump thro' these hoops to get my Berly legal here, although I had another problem with the English documentation, the V5 engine no was different to that of the car engine so had to get the V5 amended which could also have been problematic. That also took about a month, so, as you can see, a little time consuming!