Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Is this a genuine buyer?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Is this a genuine buyer? 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stott View Post
    The registration of a 30+ year old car is quite complex here in France, photos, mot equivalent, engine numbers, chassis nos. etc then an application to the French Federation of Ancient Vehicles. That then takes over 2 months and up to 6 months to get a letter of conformity(attestation). Then a visit with all the documentation to the local Prefecture to get a reg number and at a cost. I had to jump thro' these hoops to get my Berly legal here, although I had another problem with the English documentation, the V5 engine no was different to that of the car engine so had to get the V5 amended which could also have been problematic. That also took about a month, so, as you can see, a little time consuming!
    Agreed here in Spain, almost the same.
    One of my transfers, of a car registered to my UK address, exported to my Spanish address, was allegedly due a VAT payment, and suffered from a bureaucratic nightmare. There were problems here in Spain that delayed the official export, totally out of my control.
    Despite writing to the DVLA asking that any documentation be sent to Spain, they failed to do so, and proceeded to try to prosecute me.
    Everything was eventually dropped, and the vehicle exported, but what a waste of time and money.

This thread should still be moved to a Members Only area.
    Last edited by stevejgreen; 24-05-2018 at 05:16 PM.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

2. #12 Re: Is this a genuine buyer? 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Previously I lived in Spain for 20 years and could fill several pages of breathtakingly pig headed and amusing encounters with Trafico and various helpers and fixers in that orbit.

However when I moved back to England I built a Lomax 3 wheeler which I had wanted to do for some time but is impossible in Spain. Great fun and a charming little car which I really enjoyed. However the lack of grunt encouraged me to advertise it on Cars and

Classics at what I thought was a rather fanciful price with a view to buying a Marlin.

The next day I received an e-mail from a man in Germany who said don't sell the car as I am coming tomorrow from Germany with a trailer and cash in sterling. So I replied that I would hold it for 24 hours as I had several other enquiries coming in.

Blow me at but at 6am the next morning the door bell rang and there was German and trailer. A quick test drive and a look at the paper work and I had a plastic bag with used notes for the full asking price.

Maybe I should have asked a higher price but it illustrates how desirable our kit cars are in the desert of beaurocracy that is Europe. So yes, in short it happens.

3. #13 Re: Is this a genuine buyer? 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member David's Avatar
    I agree with Steve, I should have posted this in the members section.
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, the Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph based Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Kit manufactured 1983, first registered in 1987. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne in the NE of England.

4. #14 Re: Is this a genuine buyer? 
    Moderator Club Member
    IF you wish to sell AND you're happy about it going abroad , then rack up the price knowing that it's in all probability going to be sold on at a profit. See if he's still interested at double what you'd get here .
    Personally I have a problem with them going abroad and more so with those that profit from us!

5. #15 Re: Is this a genuine buyer? 
    I have been reading this with interest just having sold my Triumph Roadster to an E-bay buyer from Germany. What section on the Member's Forum should this go as I have a few comments to make? David.

6. #16 Re: Is this a genuine buyer? 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    If you have to ask the question, in a Members Only section.
    Would you appreciate a similar public discussion if the situation was reversed?
    But take care, the buyer could be a member!
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

7. #17 Re: Is this a genuine buyer? 
    Club Member
    I have been following this thread with interest. We as a club are proud to have members around the world (see the map). I am convinced that we generally undervalue what is a classic car. If folks in other countries are able to recognise the true value of a beautiful classic more power to them.

I have noticed in other threads members have derided the asking price of well presented cars. It is time we took a step back and realised that our cars are cherished, maintained and restored because they are highly desirable classics.

If the buyer reads this thread, and he should David refers to this website via the advert, he will see that he is getting a bargain. He will also see that David is encouraged to treat him as a serious buyer. I hope, if he is not a member, he considers becoming a member soon.

I would encourage anyone considering purchasing a Marlin to join the club to get as much insight as possible before making a purchase. I would also recommend anyone considering purchasing a Marlin to do so soon. I think there is a dawning recognition of the cars true worth.

I think this thread is of interest to both buyers and sellers so I am reluctant to make it readable by members only.
    Paul
    Ex Admin

8. #18 Re: Is this a genuine buyer? 
    Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmartin720 View Post
    I have been reading this with interest just having sold my Triumph Roadster to an E-bay buyer from Germany. What section on the Member's Forum should this go as I have a few comments to make? David.
    You could send David a private message. But what you have to say would be of general interest so, if you could present it here in an anonymous way that would be best.
    Paul

9. #19 Re: Is this a genuine buyer? 
    I believe a slight confusion has arisen on this thread by there being posts by more than one David.
    I have been a member of the MOC for 8 years and watched a lot of the discussions from running the Club, to sometimes personal rants about what individuals do with their cars, and other matters. My honest thoughts about selling a car to a person from abroad it does not matter, their money is as good as ours. The other way of looking at it is, the wider circle of owners with good experiences of owning a Marlin, the more people will want one. Some car enthusiasts in this country will only buy a particular make, often foreign.
    David's comment about somebody paying thousands of pounds for a vehicle unseen is fair, but when a vehicle is sold via the Internet it is very difficult to view because unless the original advert gives contact details, the site now blocks the passing over of contact details. In my case when the auction finished I was contacted by the buyer saying that owing to the bad weather he would be unable to pick the car up for some time as he was going to drive the car back to Germany, but offered me a substantial deposit. I was not happy to accept a deposit until I knew the car would make the trip [the car was sold as not being on the road for 18 months, and I thought the buyer would trailer the car away]. I changed the oil, oil and petrol filters, petrol, plugs, condenser, coil and several petrol pipes to give myself peace of mind that hopefully there would be no breakdowns. [Most items used were in the spares sold with the car]. Deposit was paid but it was two months from the sale to when the buyer collected the car, and the balance of the purchase price was paid in cash. With hindsight [a wonderful thing] I should have put the car through an MOT and possibly sold it for a higher price.
    I assume the car arrived in Germany as I have heard nothing since. David.

10. #20 Re: Is this a genuine buyer? 
    If the buyer comes with cash , go to a Bank and get him to pay it into your account. No changing his mind then. But it must be cash.