Is this a genuine buyer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is this a genuine buyer?

If you have to ask the question, in a Members Only section.
    Would you appreciate a similar public discussion if the situation was reversed?
    But take care, the buyer could be a member!
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I have been following this thread with interest. We as a club are proud to have members around the world (see the map). I am convinced that we generally undervalue what is a classic car. If folks in other countries are able to recognise the true value of a beautiful classic more power to them.

I have noticed in other threads members have derided the asking price of well presented cars. It is time we took a step back and realised that our cars are cherished, maintained and restored because they are highly desirable classics.

If the buyer reads this thread, and he should David refers to this website via the advert, he will see that he is getting a bargain. He will also see that David is encouraged to treat him as a serious buyer. I hope, if he is not a member, he considers becoming a member soon.

I would encourage anyone considering purchasing a Marlin to join the club to get as much insight as possible before making a purchase. I would also recommend anyone considering purchasing a Marlin to do so soon. I think there is a dawning recognition of the cars true worth.

I think this thread is of interest to both buyers and sellers so I am reluctant to make it readable by members only.
      Paul
      Ex Admin

Comment

Originally posted by davidmartin720 View Post
        I have been reading this with interest just having sold my Triumph Roadster to an E-bay buyer from Germany. What section on the Member's Forum should this go as I have a few comments to make? David.
        You could send David a private message. But what you have to say would be of general interest so, if you could present it here in an anonymous way that would be best.
        Paul

Comment

I believe a slight confusion has arisen on this thread by there being posts by more than one David.
          I have been a member of the MOC for 8 years and watched a lot of the discussions from running the Club, to sometimes personal rants about what individuals do with their cars, and other matters. My honest thoughts about selling a car to a person from abroad it does not matter, their money is as good as ours. The other way of looking at it is, the wider circle of owners with good experiences of owning a Marlin, the more people will want one. Some car enthusiasts in this country will only buy a particular make, often foreign.
          David's comment about somebody paying thousands of pounds for a vehicle unseen is fair, but when a vehicle is sold via the Internet it is very difficult to view because unless the original advert gives contact details, the site now blocks the passing over of contact details. In my case when the auction finished I was contacted by the buyer saying that owing to the bad weather he would be unable to pick the car up for some time as he was going to drive the car back to Germany, but offered me a substantial deposit. I was not happy to accept a deposit until I knew the car would make the trip [the car was sold as not being on the road for 18 months, and I thought the buyer would trailer the car away]. I changed the oil, oil and petrol filters, petrol, plugs, condenser, coil and several petrol pipes to give myself peace of mind that hopefully there would be no breakdowns. [Most items used were in the spares sold with the car]. Deposit was paid but it was two months from the sale to when the buyer collected the car, and the balance of the purchase price was paid in cash. With hindsight [a wonderful thing] I should have put the car through an MOT and possibly sold it for a higher price.
          I assume the car arrived in Germany as I have heard nothing since. David.

Comment

If the buyer comes with cash , go to a Bank and get him to pay it into your account. No changing his mind then. But it must be cash.

Comment

Originally posted by davidmartin720 View Post
              I believe a slight confusion has arisen on this thread by there being posts by more than one David.
              I have been a member of the MOC for 8 years and watched a lot of the discussions from running the Club, to sometimes personal rants about what individuals do with their cars, and other matters. My honest thoughts about selling a car to a person from abroad it does not matter, their money is as good as ours. The other way of looking at it is, the wider circle of owners with good experiences of owning a Marlin, the more people will want one. Some car enthusiasts in this country will only buy a particular make, often foreign.
              David's comment about somebody paying thousands of pounds for a vehicle unseen is fair, but when a vehicle is sold via the Internet it is very difficult to view because unless the original advert gives contact details, the site now blocks the passing over of contact details. In my case when the auction finished I was contacted by the buyer saying that owing to the bad weather he would be unable to pick the car up for some time as he was going to drive the car back to Germany, but offered me a substantial deposit. I was not happy to accept a deposit until I knew the car would make the trip [the car was sold as not being on the road for 18 months, and I thought the buyer would trailer the car away]. I changed the oil, oil and petrol filters, petrol, plugs, condenser, coil and several petrol pipes to give myself peace of mind that hopefully there would be no breakdowns. [Most items used were in the spares sold with the car]. Deposit was paid but it was two months from the sale to when the buyer collected the car, and the balance of the purchase price was paid in cash. With hindsight [a wonderful thing] I should have put the car through an MOT and possibly sold it for a higher price.
              I assume the car arrived in Germany as I have heard nothing since. David.
              That sounds like a pretty seamless transaction and particularly honest. I was cautious as a public forum is not the place to air grievances.
              Maybe there was a trailer waiting at Calais. It costs quite a lot to bring an empty trailer accross the channel and return unloaded.

My advice to any potential Marlin seller who wants to maximise his return, is to meet every DVLA requirements without doubt, to check that all the V5 paperwork is in order, correct vehicle, build date etc, and that as much history as possible is with the vehicle, build date SVA, IVA etc. as appropriate.
              A few £ spent can make for a much greater return on your investment.

I see absolutely no problem in exporting a vehicle, rather than thinning out the numbers, it expands the interest, so in my mind should be encouraged.

I am on the cusp of spending a great deal more on a LHD vehicle, currently in Sheffield. I have booked a return flight, so I will look at the car and paperwork and either I will either drive it back, arrange for transport, or fly straight back to Spain.

It all seems perfectly ordinary to me, and it should do to others, after all there are already Marlins scattered around the world.
              MOC member since 05/97
              1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
              Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Re: Is this a genuine buyer? SOLD!

Car sold (deposit paid) to a great guy from Kent so the car is going back to it's home county. He's asked me to post this photo, some of you may recognise the face from Stoneleigh as he's been a member and looking for a car for a while. No doubt he'll introduce himself and his new car shortly.

Thanks for all the supportive comments on this thread, and the help over the last few years sorting out the various issues it had.

David.
                PS - My membership rolled over so looks like I'll be lurking here for a while longer. When I get the urge for another Marlin it'll be a Sportster, dark green, wire wheels, aero screens and a super charger... :-)
                Attached Files
                - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Working...
                X