Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Triumph based cars, how many are still around ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Triumph based cars, how many are still around ?

One up for sale now; see my post here: http://www.marlinownersclub.com/foru...7629#post47629

Comment

Originally posted by jon_wilkinson View Post
      One up for sale now; see my post here: http://www.marlinownersclub.com/foru...7629#post47629
      Well that's one that has slipped through the Marlin net. I'm fishing for an answer. So that's 14 then !!
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by mocad2016 View Post
        Ben,
        That must have been quite a parcel of work. I’m sure I speak for many members when I say thank you to you and your volunteers for making the effort to trace these cars.

Building a car is not an easy task. I have read that fewer than 50% of kits ever get completed. So if 140 of 234 Mk1 Triumph kits were finished they are batting above average. If 13, about 10%, are still on the road I bet they are doing better than the production cars.

You have confirmed that “Triumph based roadsters are a rare and treasured breed” as are their owners.
        Paul
        Have to say another member offered to do the graft working from records that myself and DC collected. I will leave him to put his hand up yes a well done from me.

Comment

Perhaps one of the reasons there are not so many Triumph Based Marlins is that as the owners, like myself, grow older and wider, the cars are not so comfortable. My Roadster JEU559X was sold on E-bay and now resides in Germany. I now have a Hunter, but this car is not as much fun as a Roadster. David.

Comment

Well that didn't take too long to sought out the reason it slipped through the net was the fact it is a known car that has had an age related plate issued and is now back on the road after a respray and a tidy up after the original owner passed away.

Comment

Well done all concerned for the considerable legwork .. good result !

Just a thought, this is from the official history page:
              The first production Marlin Roadster chassis was was laid down on 1st July 1979 and the first kit was sold to a Simon Lister for the princely sum of £655 inc VAT.

Would be good to get as many Mk1's as possible to Stoneleigh in 2019, as it will be A "40 year Anniversary" of sorts, both for the Mk1 & the marque in general ?
              Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
              Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Comment

[QUOTE=928cdu;47648Would be good to get as many Mk1's as possible to Stoneleigh in 2019, as it will be A "40 year Anniversary" of sorts, both for the Mk1 & the marque in general ?[/QUOTE]

Good idea.

Isn’t 2021, an similar anniversary for the club?

No harm in planning ahead.
                MOC member since 05/97
                1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Good idea to celebrate 40 years of the Roadster in 2019. I'll bring it up in the next committee meeting. Apart from the good suggestion of getting as many Triumph based cars together as possible at Stoneleigh next year any other ideas are welcome.

Comment

Despite my ill tempered squawk a while back, I too appreciate the effort that some people put into this. (and to them I apologise)
                    I would love to know where 1018 (21) is as mine is 1021 (18) and I,m pleased to have rescued it from a garden in 1985 (the first time) to become one of 14? on the road.

Comment

Sadly 1018 is one of those blanks in the list a problem that does crop up is some cars were either, never marked at the factory or the number has been obscured for one reason or another. Also a certain amount of confusion exists in the very rough records kept at the time in Paul Moorhouse's note book.

Comment

I use my MK1 GT6 based car everyday for work, not the best in the rain with the hood up but still fun.

Comment

Ewan, good to hear that.

How about posting a current pic or two please ?

Rgds DC

Comment

Originally posted by 928cdu View Post
                            This is probably one for DC or Ben, but thought it of general interest so placed it on the public forum.

How many Triumph based cars are left that are still known to the club and on the road ? I can think of Greg's white roadster, the red proto-type & my car. It really feels like numbers are very low apart from the odd wrongly registered project that ends up on ebay ?

PS: Am thinking of what is referred to as a Mk1.

BR .. Richard
                            Nigel just to let you know that I have a mk 1 triumph marlin being restored at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by nigel j View Post
                              Nigel just to let you know that I have a mk 1 triumph marlin being restored at the moment
                              That's great to hear ! Let us know how it goes, and it would be good to see some pictures !
                              Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
                              Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Comment

Originally posted by nigel j View Post
                                Hi Nigel, Do we know about your car? As the clubs Triumph Based cars advisor(well I try to be) certainly would like to see some pics of your project.

Regards Ben
                                Last edited by b_caswell; 11-11-18, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X