Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warsaw to Rome

Hello
    This weekend I will start my trip from Poland to Italy and back (hopefully with the same car). The only point that is fixed now is to pick up my wife and daughter from Rome airport next Saturday and spend a few days with them in Acquasparta. I will probably get there through Czech Republic, Austria and of course Italy and back via Austria and Germany. For sure I will spend some time (and gasoline) in the Dolomites.
    If any of the Marlineers lives (or will be staying) somewhere on the way I may show up for a chat.
    Unfortunately there are not many Marlin events in Poland so any possibility for a meet will be appreciated.

Sight seeing recommendations are also welcome.

I would try to update this thread with pictures once on the way (as far as my phone allows).

Best regards
    Roman
    BTW my email is on gmail(dot)com with the same nick as here

Re: Warsaw to Rome

Hi Roman,
    That’s quite a trip. Google thinks it’s going to take at least 22 hours about 1,200miles or 2,000 km.

Will you be able to keep us up to date with your progress?

I see that we currently have a member in Austria who could be close to your route. Would you like me to pass on your contact details? Send me a PM or eMail if you would.
    Paul

Comment

Hi Paul,
      Yes please. Pass my email to any member that could be on my way. Austria, Czech Republic, south of Germany. I’m in touch with Toby from Hungary but it is not on my way (this time).

I know it’s a long way and this is exactly the point. The way a not the destination is the focus. I was in Italy for skiing this year and this was only a way transferring 6 people with equipment to the ski slopes. Over 1300 km in less than 12 hours (not with a Marlin)
      Now I will have time. About a week each direction.

Hope my Berlinetta will do it. Last year I had to rent a trailer to have her back home from Germany...

Kind regards
      Roman

Comment

Shame I am no longer living in Dresden as I would have suggested catch up. I used to drive from Dresden to Prague at weekends it makes a very big difference in time between motorway and back roads, increased by the temptation to stop to see things.

Comment

Im on the way. The startup was not the best one as I have pintched my rear tyre while entering my local gas station (2 miles from home). With some help from my son (at 3:30 am) i was on my way again with a new set of wheels stolen from my other Berlinetta.
          It was on Thursday morning as I used the opportunity to save two days of my holiday and visited my customers in the south of Poland already with the Marlin.
          Yesterday morning I was ready with the last repair for my company and the real trip has started (from Wrocław).
          There is a nice small museum in Topacz. (muzeum.topacz.pl)
          After all the polish flatland some mountains are there.
          Spent the night in Sokolec in Gory Sowie (Owl Mountains). The weather was good until yesterday’s evening now it’s raining.
          Now going for breakfast and into the Czech Republic.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by romeks44; 24-06-18, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Fantastic picture! Hope to see a few more along the way
            Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
            Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Comment

I hate writing.
              And for some reasons I was logged of during the painful writing process and all my efforts were gone.
              So: yesterday - got across Czech Republic - exceptionally nice place was Adrspach - "rocky city" - just one picture from outside

Then about 200 miles on side roads - took whole day to get to Austrian border. The was not bad but presented its diversity - had to close and open the roof about 10 times.
              Attached Files

Comment

Don't know how put pictures within the text.
                Today - Monday (right?)
                I took a small ferry to pass the Lipno lake in Horni Plana. Pic1
                Continued my plan to use mainly side roads. At some point got another opportunity to use a ferry on the Danube river. Pic2
                On the other side had to climb a winding road... pic3
                Was swimming in Traunsee... no pic now
                Another nice view Hallstatt pic4
                About 200 miles within 12 hours and a only a few stops . The views are great. Riding fun pure. Will not describe more as to not make you jealous. You can imagine (or come here).
                Despite the forecast the weather was even better today although mostly cloudy and cold but with less rain.
                I hope to put more (all?) pictures with and without my Berlinetta to an interned accessible gallery once back home again. But do not promise.
                Written in Ramsau am Dachstein.
                Roman
                PS Pictures uploaded in the wrong order 1>4, 4>1, 2>3... but who cares
                Attached Files

Comment

Fantastic
                  Stumbling around in the dark
                  Marina based SWB roadster
                  Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

Think the rest of us need to "up our game" otherwise you will have all 12 months of next years MOC Calendar to yourself Roman !
                    Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
                    Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Comment

Thank you for appreciation.
                      Tuesday:
                      Ramsau am Dachstein to Kameritsch near Italian border.
                      Through: Obertauern - ski resort, Innerkrems - I found the alpine road “Nockalmstrasse” to start there - probably the best way to spent 18,50 eur, Eisentalhohe 2042 m above sea level
                      Bad Kleinkirchheim - we used to be there for skiing a few times, had a very nice talk with the landlady.
                      As accommodation possibilities near Hermagor did not suited my requirements I have saved money for gasoline and slept in the car. It was much better than the previous time on the way from UK to Poland. Now I have recliners instead of the original Marlin bucket seats so the passengers one was ok for one night.

I made so many pictures that I can’t decide which to post. So I attach three random.
                      1. Lunch time
                      2. Alpine road
                      3. There are not only cows on the road...
                      Funny 175 miles done between 8:15 and 21:45 (including 2 hours talk)
                      Attached Files

Comment

Wednesday
                        6:00 From the lower ski lift station in Tropolach to the top station and down to Italy.
                        Nice windy roads. One moment you are in the valley and few miles further you are up... and down... and up...

Pontebba, Dordolla, Carnia, Tolmezzo, Cazzaso, Zuglio, Fielis - beautiful church and botanical garden. Unfortunately the next road I have chosen was closed an I had to go down the same way.
                        Then Monte Zoncolan - a lot of cyclist although overall the roads were quite empty. (This will change in the high season. Don’t even want to think about it) Going down on the second gear was not enough and I had to stop to let the brakes cool down. Thereafter was going on the fist gear at 2500 to 3200 rpm.
                        Pesariis, Giralba, Cortina d’Ampezzo and finally...
                        I’m in Malga Giau a mountain shelter nestled in the Dolomites at 2,000 meters.
                        Again, if can trust my odometer (I do) 142 miles were done until 17:30.
                        It’s impressive how much one cold see, feel, smell, hear in such a small distance (dimension not time)
                        I just have reached the Dolomites
                        There are some changes in the arrival of my family to Acquasparta. If I have to pickup the keys at Saturday I should better to think about going there. It’s over 600 km... and with my recent average???
                        Ok. I would drive 26 instead of 13 hours a day. That’s it.
                        Weather except two short showers was excellent.
                        Three pictures again. But which?
                        1. Way down from Monte Zoncolan
                        2. A side view
                        3. Here I’m staying today
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by romeks44; 02-07-18, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Some great pictures, looks like some great driving roads and scenery to go with it.
                          Wonderful road trip and keep us updated.

Comment

Great Pictures

Comment

I dont know if your route takes you past Turin - but if it does make the effort to go to the national motor museum

Comment

Working...
                              X