Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new member - notts

Hi am a new member from notts.
    I think i have a mark 2 roadster , not sure?
    1.8 marina engine , 1973
    Nearly ready for the road , after being bought last year.
    I have a general question about the hood , as mine does not have one.
    I see from the data base the cars either had a fixed frame going into slotted holes.
    Or a folding unit bolted onto the back of the body near the doors.
    I have looked at mine and it does not seem to have an edge to bolt on to the body.
    There are are some angles welded in side to the main body?
    1.jpgPIC-3.jpgPIC-2.jpgpic-1.jpg

Re: new member - notts

This is a drawing of a Triumph car frame that is similar
    Attached Files
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Cheers do the mounts bolt to chassis on angles welded on chassis? Pic 4?

Comment

i have tried to copy the drawing from http://www.marlinownersclub.com/foru...r-Build-Manual but the file is too large. scroll down the document and there is a drawing with a measurement.
        Last edited by b_caswell; 02-07-18, 05:31 PM. Reason: additional info
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hey dugout, try these. The small pic, location of "hole" is correct for your type of Roadster, but I think the larger pic (from Pitstop 26) may apply to later cars....but it should still help you

PS For the archive, please let me know the chassis number of your car
          Attached Files
          Last edited by dcunn; 03-07-18, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Several questions.
            Is the car correctly registered as a Marlin Roadster?
            When was it last MOT’d or SORN?
            Have you done a check on DVLA status?
            The cockpit surround looks like it may have been a very early Marina based kit, but it has been extensively modified with lots of expanded foam.
            The seatbelt pillars do not look like the Marlin originals, and certainly won’t meet current SVA regulations, nor would the tub surround, usually wider to allow the hood to be fitted, current regs require that the top mount should be above shoulder height.

Before you advance further and spend more money. Tell us the answer to my first three questions.
            it will change our answers.
            MOC member since 05/97
            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

its registered as a morris marina 1.3
              however it has 1.8 engine
              engine number - 118492
              chassis - MH4S9S-324806M
              Reg - OKU 216M
              Not sure when it was last MOT , its currently on SORN.
              i plan to insure it and MOT in the next month if possible.
              Pic of it when previous owner stripped and rebuilt its-l1600 (11).jpg

Comment

Don’t mean to put dampers on stuff, but if you have a friendly MOT guy, pop over and chat to him.

Your V5 should list the Marlin Chassis No. if it does not, as you wrote, you have a problem, your V5 should list the original engine number, if not as you wrote, you have a problem.

Lets hope you have a friendly MOT man. And a friendly insurer.

Should you find yourself up against an efficient Mr Plod, your hard work could be crushed, literally.

Others may have different opinions but I think you have bought a hot potato, the reason the previous owner stopped where he did.
                MOC member since 05/97
                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

dugout, do not be totally put off by post #8. There are many cars legally around using their Marina donor car VIN number (your MH4S etc number)

Please have a look at your chassis as per these pics and see if there is a small plate as indicated....you may need to scrape the paint off if you
                  find it, and then we can identify which kit it is - that will be a start

Let's do this a step at a time. Do you have any old paperwork with the car ?
                  Attached Files

Comment

The DVLA site has this for your car, so at least the 1798 engine is noted, but I don't know about the engine number :
                    Vehicle details
                    Vehicle make: MORRIS
                    Date of first registration: November 1973
                    Cylinder capacity (cc): 1798 cc
                    CO₂Emissions: Not available
                    Fuel type: PETROL
                    Export marker: No
                    Vehicle status: SORN in place
                    Vehicle colour: BLUE

Thinking about the Marlin chassis number, if it is a very early Marina car there was some confusion at the factory about where the number appeared.
                    The earlier Triumph based cars had it stamped onto the bulkhead under the bonnet, passenger side, and these also had the date on them...see pics

Probably worth you pending some time crawling over and around the car to see what you can find.

Hopefully Ben will be along soon and have some other ideas for you
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by dcunn; 03-07-18, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
                      dugout, do not be totally put off by post #8. There are many cars legally around using their Marina donor car VIN number (your MH4S etc number)

Please have a look at your chassis as per these pics and see if there is a small plate as indicated....you may need to scrape the paint off if you
                      find it, and then we can identify which kit it is - that will be a start

Let's do this a step at a time. Do you have any old paperwork with the car ?

Was anything I wrote factually incorrect? If so, exactly where, given the current information available.

My intent was to express a word of caution. We have already seen Berlinettas fail the ITV and become garden ornaments. So far as I am aware no Marina based Roadster kit supplied by Marlin themselves has ever passed an IVA test.

From what I see in the photos, certainly of the tub rim and seatbelt mounts, this vehicle will never pass an IVA without major structural work.

It might pass an MOT, but with ever tightening legislation, it is perfectly possible that one day it will be rejected with no means of appeal.

i would not take that risk, you would be reckless to suggest that the risk is not a distinct possibility and not make the new owner aware of the can of worms they have opened.
                      MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Dugout, we need to talk (and can help you) away from this thread to avoid the negativity.

Please call or email me personally, my details are in Pitstop

Rgds Dave Cunnington

Comment

i have looked in both places and no numbers
                          i have found a Vin number plate on the door frame - SABTVR03572223054
                          i have been in contact with the guy i bought it off from Oxford and he's gonna look out any info.
                          when i bought it he gave me a file of photos of the rebuild.
                          It looks like it was an early roadster and the engine has been changed.
                          He also had a marlin owners club card & badge + pitstop mag issue 172 oct/nov 2012
                          Personally i thick it was built in DVLA tested and given the SABTV vin number.
                          When the engine has been changed & rebuit they have reverted to the marina chassis number.IMAG0022.jpgIMAG0024.jpgIMAG0026.jpgPIC-A.jpgPIC-B.jpg

Comment

Working...
                          X