Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinto starting problems - No spark

Hello all,

I hope you don't mind but my question to you all today isn't directly Marlin related as she is running strong! But it is Pinto related and I couldn't think of a better group to ask!

I also have a MK3 Capri fitted with its original 2.0 Pinto. I was driving it home after 2 months of daily driving her without a hitch... and mid way through a roundabout she shut off. Luckily the momentum was such that I could take my exit and pull over on the side of the road. But two weeks later she still isn't going. There is no spark. Rotor and distributer are fine. I tested the coil and it was showing odd results so I replaced it and all the fuses under the bonnet. Yet she still isn't going. She turns over but doesn't fire. I put a screw driver in the main HT from the coil to the distributor and there was no spark getting to it. So all I can say is either that main HT is dead or its something between the key and the coil. But that is where i'm stuck, I don't know what to look for or whats between there! If anyone has any clue then that would be great. Again, apologies for this not being directly marlin related.

Kindest regards,

Charlie

Re: Pinto starting problems - No spark

have you tried hotwirirg it? ie connection between coil and a live +ve feed? that might eliminate the key switch etc, -- I am open to correction, but I had probs with my key switch and the hot wire got me home on several occaisions , now replaced with a new switch module and no subsequent probs!

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Stott View Post
      have you tried hotwirirg it? ie connection between coil and a live +ve feed? that might eliminate the key switch etc, -- I am open to correction, but I had probs with my key switch and the hot wire got me home on several occaisions , now replaced with a new switch module and no subsequent probs!
      Thanks for the advice Tony, how do you do that more specifically? they key still lights up the dash and makes it turnover but nothing else

Comment

yes that's it, without looking at the coil I cannot remember which coil terminal, I installed a short insulated socketed fly lead, and have the matching male plug with a coc clip at the other end. at least it will illuminate the key switch if it don't work!

Comment

A multimeter or a wee test light can also be used. Just place one end onto the connector of the positve terminal of the coil and the other to a nice chunky bit of bare metal. Meter will show around 12v or light will illuminate when ingnition is switched on.
          Stumbling around in the dark
          Marina based SWB roadster
          Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Marlin View Post
            A multimeter or a wee test light can also be used. Just place one end onto the connector of the positve terminal of the coil and the other to a nice chunky bit of bare metal. Meter will show around 12v or light will illuminate when ingnition is switched on.
            Bought a new coil so I know its not the problem
            Must be something between the key and the coil, no clue what that consists of though

Comment

Originally posted by cwberlinetta1998 View Post
              Bought a new coil so I know its not the problem
              Must be something between the key and the coil, no clue what that consists of though
              I read “Blue Marlin’s” post as way to check that power is getting to the coil. If there is no power there trace the wire back to where it comes from and check for power there. Until you find the break between the switch and the coil.

A wiring diagram is somewhat essential.

Good luck,
              Paul

Comment

but the above tests continuity from the battery to the coil via the key switch, fuses, relays etc. if it don't work, with the aid of a wiring diagram trace the system, check all associated fuses etc.

virtually duplication of above ^

Comment

With the details of the ignition system missing it is giving everyone little info to go on.
                  Is it standard coil and distributor.
                  Electronic, magic eye, or other mod.
                  Carburettor or EFi
                  The year of manufacture.
                  Early Fords (1970-87) had a ballast resistor fitted in the wiring loom, a quick glance would make you think it was a fuse holder. These gave up the ghost quite frequently and often burnt the wiring loom. Easily replaced with a new wire and ceramic ballast resistor.
                  If you get a length of insulated wire (long enough to reach from battery terminal[ + or red] to the [+side ]of your coil) fasten one end to the [+] on the coil, and get someone to hold the other end to the [+side] of the battery while you try and start the car.
                  If it fires, your ballast resistor is fried DO NOT leave the wire connected to the battery unless you want to buy another coil. Incidentally a coil is not universal make sure you have a specific coil to your type of ignition, and get yourself an auto electrician before you tie yourself in knots and rapidly empty your wallet.
                  Phil

Comment

Working...
                  X